Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Dakar's Halo 3 Thread

Dakar's Halo 3 Thread (Page 7)
Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 24, 2008, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Playing against upper 40s kind of levels the playing field. I'm impressed with your stats though. You have more triple kills than me and I guess I have yet to get a ranked Overkill. You've also got more assasinations too.

Nice work, Dakar.
Since you're in a kind mood, I'll take your role here and play Devil's advocate.

I don't know how you got your triple', but I imagine 3 of mine are from the idiots who camp the shotgun room in Snowbound. A couple of grenade's followed by a AR charge do wonders (If I ever get an extermination, this will be where. I've been really close at least twice).

Assassinations are a matter of perspective. Perhaps you don't have as many because you are able to eliminate the enemy from afar *cough*sniper*cough*. That said, you've seen my sneaking skills first hand. I like catching people unawares.

Edit: After going between 41 and 42 all last night I finally ranked up to 43! Yay!
I think you'll make 45 yet.

Edit: Whoa, Page 7. Page 6 lasted, what, a day?

Edit 2: Oh, about my overkill. It was achieved on a Lone Wolves game on Guardian where I was following a guy on the bottom level towards the elevator. ARed him all the way, then through a grenade after him. Some dude came in from the side and also jumped in the elevator so I ARed and grenaded him too. Double, then Triple Kill, I fly up the elevator and finish of some other guy who had showed up. have the video, but I don't believe it's all that impressive.

JustinHorne
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 24, 2008, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post

Edit 2: Oh, about my overkill. It was achieved on a Lone Wolves game on Guardian where I was following a guy on the bottom level towards the elevator. ARed him all the way, then through a grenade after him. Some dude came in from the side and also jumped in the elevator so I ARed and grenaded him too. Double, then Triple Kill, I fly up the elevator and finish of some other guy who had showed up. have the video, but I don't believe it's all that impressive.
Funny, that's like on of my Overkill stories, in that, while a cool story, wasn't actually impressive at all...

Team slayer on Snowbound, 3 on 4 (one of ours dropped). MY team was fighting on the outside of the underground room, backs to the edge of the map, their team was in the room.. It was the typical pop in, throw a grenade, pop out, etc... I killed one, somehow got killed....
I respawned in one of the bases, walked behind their team into the underground room. So, just flanked them... Threw a grenade, the fusion coils respawned AS the grenade was in the air (crazy lucky,) that got atriple kill... A few BR shots finished off the last (very confused) guy, and I got an overkill Extermination...

Honestly though... Not THAT much skill, just an awesome set of circumstances...

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 24, 2008, 06:31 PM

*cough*sniper*cough*
Did somebody say sniper?

Both taken today at my BTB practice run. The first one was a second shot as the guy was falling behind the rock there. The second one was a hair away from betraying my blue comrade but I snuck that bullet in for another headshot.

Also in the BTB game. Triple laser.

I ended the game with 31 kills, 3 killing sprees, and 5 double-kills. I'm ready for tonight

I think you'll make 45 yet.
I'm confident I can.....but in what timeframe is the question.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 24, 2008, 07:28 PM

Nice pics, sek.

I just did a once over on Sandtrap, adding a lot more spawn points, and Sentinel Beams (They have some devastating potential against vehicles, and nice reach for a big map).

I think we're set.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 24, 2008, 07:41 PM

I never knew the Sentinel Beam screwed with the vehicles.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 24, 2008, 08:42 PM

OK, its pretty much confirmed that I will get my ass kicked tonight. I apologize in advance to my teammates.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jan 24, 2008, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
OK, its pretty much confirmed that I will get my ass kicked tonight. I apologize in advance to my teammates.
Same here man. Same here.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 24, 2008, 09:14 PM

I never knew the Sentinel Beam screwed with the vehicles.
Nothing special per se, but I've seen the mess up a pristine Warthog to that barely running state.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 24, 2008, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
Same here man. Same here.
I'm scared to death the 40s are gonna control the game completely.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 24, 2008, 10:03 PM

Also in the BTB game. Triple laser.
Cool, I got one of those the other night as well.

Here it is from a different angle. That dude jumped as the worst possible time.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 25, 2008, 02:06 AM

That was fun! We need to do that again real soon. For those of you that didn't join us tonight, all I have to say is... YOU MISSED OUT! Yeah Starman, I'm talking to you!

There were some close games once the teams were balanced out. That king of the hill match was probably my favorite. We finished the night off with this group photo. (The names listed in red are xbox live gamertags I couldn't match to a MacNN username.)

From left to right:
crossiyed, ::maroma::, medium9(in pink), decoy, Dakar (driving the warthog), Chuckit (on the turret), myself and Sek

Of course all hell broke loose once the picture was taken.
( Last edited by Stogieman; Jan 25, 2008 at 02:20 AM. )

dustrho
Forum Regular
Jan 25, 2008, 10:01 AM

I had a blast with you guys last night and hope to play again soon. Wish I was there for that group shot... maybe next time.

Chris Rhoads / Forum Admin & Webmaster of Sandtroopers.com

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jan 25, 2008, 10:56 AM

Was a lot of fun, and I was just happy I never came in dead last! Next time lets do the group shot a bit earlier.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 25, 2008, 11:32 AM

Thanks for the pics, stogie.

Not too much to say right now: I plan on doing a fun write-up of the three best games, including pics, and handing out a few meaningless awards. We got off to a rough start, but things progressed pretty well, though it was a little tough balancing teams near the end with so many people coming in and out, many unfamiliar.

Proposal for the next time would be a weekend day, preferably a Sunday, so we can synch up the ESTers and the PSTers a little better. We played for 3 hours last night, but we probably only had one solid hour with everyone who was supposed to be on together.

The custom games weren't completely awful, though I think I'll nix infection next time, and look to add a few more non-slayer events (Capture the Flag anyone?), casual events (Team Rockets), and maybe a one-hit kill game to give the bottom guys a little more traction.

I think we'll also look into doing more Matchmaking, depending on the party size. Once we got under 9 peeps last night we did two pretty good BTB outings.

Oh, if everyone who invited people could list who they brought, I'd like to add that info to the top of the page.

More thoughts as they hit later.

Addicted to MacNN
Jan 25, 2008, 12:31 PM

Yeah I had a great time last night. I too was happy I didn't come in dead last on anything (that I remember). I would definitely love to do that again. I'm down for a weekend match. I just can't make that a habit or I'll suffer the wrath.

I had invited 3 of my buddies last night. 2 of which I work with, the 3rd was the brother of one of the other guys. Here's the rundown:

decog - coworker of mine, solid player.
medium9 - coworker of mine, so-so player.
crosseyied (gotta find the actual spelling of his nick) - brother of decog, so-so player.

These guys don't play as often as I do, but they happened to be on last night so I tossed an invite.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 25, 2008, 12:54 PM

That was great. That King of the Hill match was fantastic. Absolute neck-and-neck carnage between all three teams, and it probably would have gone a different way if not for some excellent strategery by Dakar towards the end.

Also noteworthy in that match: Sek was listed as the "most killed by" for all three members of my team. Ouch.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 25, 2008, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
That was great. That King of the Hill match was fantastic. Absolute neck-and-neck carnage between all three teams, and it probably would have gone a different way if not for some excellent strategery by Dakar towards the end.
I think this bears explanation, because I'm not sure it's clear to everyone in the post-game lobby what happened.

During a second to last Hill battle, I died and spawned in the tunnel by the invisibilty. Almost immediately (under two seconds) the Hill moves to the location above me, but it turns out that the Hill also extends into the underground tunnel (Much like the Hill above the Ghost tunnel).

Immediately, we're scoring points, and I inform Chuckit and decog what's going on. From what I can tell, they make it to the Hill first, so we score in threes for a few seconds before the teams appear to contest us. Throughout the entire top-side battle, I stand motionless and quiet downstairs, not wanting to show up on radar, or give away I'm near via the proximity voice (side note: I love proximity voice. Nothing like calling a jump happy sek a wily bastard and hearing an exasperated chuckle on the other end).

Everytime Chuckit and decog died, the winning teams failed to score points with me contesting the Hill from below. I swear ::maroma:: saw me on his way to a battle (I may have been invisible), but if he did, he didn't bother, probably thinking I was harmless. In the end, my teammates managed to clear-out the competition enough times that I/we finally scored the win.

I have to say, the value of the three man rush may be understated. sek may have lasered us to death from afar a few times, but you have to realize that if all three teammates are standing on the Hill at the same time, you're scoring three times the points. In the end this is what brought us back and put us in position for the win (and I have to think what led to Team Pink Taco falling way behind. Too much free-lancing on sek and saint's parts. Going to get the shotgun wastes a lot of valuable time and doesn't reward enough when you're out in the open getting naded and ARed to death).

Also noteworthy in that match: Sek was listed as the "most killed by" for all three members of my team. Ouch.
True, but if you look at the other teams, decog has a clean sweep of team red, and I'm two kills away from a clean sweep of team pink taco.

There's some other noteworthy stuff/stats I'll be talking about this game in particular when I do the proper write-up for the trio of our best games.

Brien
Professional Poster
Jan 25, 2008, 03:03 PM

Looked fun.

Crap, I'll need to be renewing my Gold after all.

harbinger75
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 25, 2008, 03:09 PM

I've got a question for you guys...

...am I the only human left who hasn't played Halo 3?

Just wondering.
the geek source
Twitter: @thegeeksource

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 25, 2008, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by harbinger75 View Post

Just wondering.
No. There's also my mom.
Chuck
___

harbinger75
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 25, 2008, 03:40 PM

No. There's also my mom.
Ok, good...I had hoped I wasn't the only one.

the geek source

PhotoBug
Forum Regular
Jan 25, 2008, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by harbinger75 View Post

Just wondering.
I haven't Either... Looks like so much fun!
After my first xbox(junk) I really didn't wanna play this one but your thread has me wanting to play with you all.

harbinger75
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 25, 2008, 04:19 PM

I hear ya, buddy. I had a 360 last year before Halo 3 came out, but sold it. When H3 came out, I really wanted to be able to have the 360's features as well as to play H3...I miss 'em.

the geek source

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 25, 2008, 04:43 PM

Alright folks, I found some time between tasks today to do a write-up for a few awards. Nothing serious, merely a vehicle for to make some crappy jokes, observations, and obscure references that I'll be lucky if anyone gets (google will be your friend).

The LeBron James Award for Biggest Entourage
goes to... ::maroma:: and his three man crew (decog, medium9, crosseyied) that ran deep enough that they pulled in the brother of a co-worker. What's next, your father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate? Also, if not for decog, this might have been the deadest entourage.

The Tommy Riley Award for Playing Possum
goes to... jokell and his consistently competent play. In case this reference is far, far too obscure for you: Back in the 90s there was a movie released called Gladiator, about a kid named Tommy Riley who enters the world of underground boxing to pay of his father's gambling debts. At the end he fights the boss for his freedom, beating him by using his own advice against him ("Make 'em think you're weak when you're strong"). You'd think this was a massive overstatement about jokell's performance until you realize the boss was played by an old overweight Brian Dennehy. I should probably move along now...

The Ephialtes Award for Most Tide Changing Defection
goes to... Myself, who during a 25+ point rout on Sandtrap Gauss, switched sides and made an intolerable blow-out a barely tolerable come-from-behind victory. I'll figure it out yet, guys.

The David Wooderson Award for Person Most Out of Place
goes to... sek929, and his consistent positive finishes and understated pwnage. A man amongst boys, sek mercilessly kept going to his weapon of choice, the sniper rifle, with impunity, and laughably picking us off from inconspicuous spots whilst we rushed each other in mad fury. ...here's to you sek, maybe this award will give you a clue as to why I pick you off first in fire-fights.

...and finally

The Peter North Award for Most Explosive Finish
Goes to Three Man, Three Team, Snowbound Team King. Blood bath is practically an understatement as to what happened. Three man rushes, grenade spamming, and continual shooting opponents in the back as they make way to the Hill made this the most frenzied game of the night. The only thing that could have been better was the Hill movement -- it seemed like the first 4 or 5 times it alternated between 2 or 3 locations, then it suddenly added two more at the end. Look for this game to return in the next outing.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jan 25, 2008, 04:54 PM

WOOHOO! I won an award. Now I just have to figure out if that was an insult or not.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 25, 2008, 04:58 PM

Backhanded compliment would be more accurate.

Edit: ...and oh yes, I feel compelled to mention that you were all stand-up guys. It was a pleasure fighting along side all of you. Except you sek.
So, sek, does getting betrayed count against my k/d? If you ruined a Running Riot in progress I swear the next time I kill you I'm going to teabag your face so hard your girlfriend will taste my balls when she kisses you on the cheek.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 25, 2008, 05:09 PM

I give Chuckit the "Impressed sek the most" award.

I'd come upon him thinking that this Moderator would be a pushover and to many times got completely juked out. The first game he wasn't on my team (High Ground, I think) I remember him breaking my ankles more than a few times leaving me wide open for getting attacked by multiple people. He also stared to chaff my ass in a Valhalla game by killing me constantly with the Ghost.

Dakar gets the "Did what has to be done" award.

He personally took responsibility of making sure I didn't sit in my perches unmolested. With a very good understanding of where I was most likely to snipe (especially in your Sandtrap variant) you turned a possibly Chernobyl into a mere three mile island. Also, before you switched teams in that Sandtrap game, you were the bane of my existence.

I had loads of fun, and the teams ended up far more balanced than I thought possible. I look forward to your heads in my scope again In all seriousness it was a great time with some outstanding chaps. Maybe a few more people will come out of the woodwork to join us for next time. 8 vs 8 BTB on Dakar's map would be siiiiick!
( Last edited by sek929; Jan 25, 2008 at 05:22 PM. )

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 25, 2008, 05:10 PM

Backhanded compliment would be more accurate.

Edit: ...and oh yes, I feel compelled to mention that you were all stand-up guys. It was a pleasure fighting along side all of you. Except you sek.
So, sek, does getting betrayed count against my k/d? If you ruined a Running Riot in progress I swear the next time I kill you I'm going to teabag your face so hard your girlfriend will taste my balls when she kisses you on the cheek.

I don't think that betrayals count as deaths, I might be wrong.....but I did laser you good a few times

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 25, 2008, 05:16 PM

Also, it should noted that the other 360 dude (not Stogieman) was easily on par with my overall skills. He might not have been as deadly with the long rifles but when we met in glorious close-quarters battle it was a 50/50 chance of killing/being killed.

Hats off to you mysterious stranger.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 25, 2008, 05:22 PM

I give Chuckit the "Impressed sek the most" award.

I'd come upon him thinking that this Moderator would be a pushover and to many times got completely juked out. He also stared to chaff my ass in a Valhalla game by killing me constantly with the Ghost.
I swear to god everytime I found chuckit his back was to me. I shot that guy in the back so many times I felt guilty. I was happy whenever he was on my team.

Dakar gets the "Did what has to be done" award.

He personally took responsibility of making sure I didn't sit in my perches unmolested. With a very good understanding of where I was most likely to snipe (especially in your Sandtrap variant) you turned a possibly Chernobyl into a mere three mile island. Also, before you switched teams in that Sandtrap game, you were the bane of my existence.
Interesting thought: If you had ignored me and just massacred my team, I'd never had realized what was going on. But yes, I figured eliminating you from any comfort places (and god knows that map was built with two great ones for snipers) was priority number on for letting my team kill yours as freely as possible.

Side question: Did you preview that map before last night? You seemed pretty fluent with it in the early going (BTW, you're the first person to really use the short tower to snipe from. I find the teleporter is in a less-traveled spot)

Also, it's apparent bungie's spawn doesn't take elevation into account, because it kept spawning us below you.

I had loads of fun, and the teams ended up far more balanced than I thought possible. I look forward to your heads in my scope again In all seriousness it was a great time with some outstanding chaps. Maybe a few more people will come out of the woodwork to join us for next time. 8 vs 8 BTB on Dakar's map would be siiiiick!
True that. Biggest problem last night was we were running with three 'pros' on the map, meaning one team was going to be unbalanced no matter what. saint and I know the map well, and as a 42 you can bluff your way through on sheer skill, disregarding you using the sniper spots.

(On a good day, I can recruit 4 guys, so there's half a team. And they know the map)

I don't think that betrayals count as deaths, I might be wrong.....but I did laser you good a few times
The second one was ridiculous. I passed from your extreme right to your left while you were charging, boosted, turned, and you still fried my ass. I was pissed.

Oh, how about that random teammate I splattered trying to get you from behind on Territory 3? How did you avoid that/not die anyway?

----

Oh, by the way jokell, you make a very good warthog gunner. I could have gotten you a Running Riot too, if we hadn't reached 50 so quickly.
Do you guys realize I assisted almost half my teams kills on that game? K-k-krazy

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 25, 2008, 05:25 PM

Also, it should noted that the other 360 dude (not Stogieman) was easily on par with my overall skills. He might not have been as deadly with the long rifles but when we met in glorious close-quarters battle it was a 50/50 chance of killing/being killed.

Hats off to you mysterious stranger.
Union 360? I thought you said he was with you? I assumed he was a 40 so I was surprised to see he was only an 18. I think he's better than me on a good day, but I can't say he really outplayed me much last night.

Also a good gunner.

Addicted to MacNN
Jan 25, 2008, 05:34 PM

The LeBron James Award for Biggest Entourage
goes to... ::maroma:: and his three man crew (decog, medium9, crosseyied) that ran deep enough that they pulled in the brother of a co-worker. What's next, your father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate? Also, if not for decog, this might have been the deadest entourage.
Hahaha! Yes when I'm looking for people to use as fodder, I refuse no one. But yeah, decog can hold his own, the other 2 just need some more practice. They don't play nearly as much as me, which isn't all that much. Not tootin my own horn here, I'm not exactly a pro.

Anyhow, they all had a blast. At work this morning we were going over the stats on bungie.net. We all enjoyed your custom Sandtrap for sure (where I got a nice double kill with one rocket on decog and medium9 that I got to rub in their faces today), and I think we're all in agreement that the King of the Hill was the most fun and psychotic.

And your LeBron James reference is just creepy. At my job, I work with Nike to launch initiatives, the biggest of which is the LeBron James campaign every year. Weeeeird.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 25, 2008, 05:37 PM

Side question: Did you preview that map before last night? You seemed pretty fluent with it in the early going (BTW, you're the first person to really use the short tower to snipe from. I find the teleporter is in a less-traveled spot)
You found out my dark secret! For 45 minutes I ran aimlessly around the level locating the weapons I would want (that sniper up on the huge sand dune is a nice thought) and seeing where the teleporters brought me. I did not want to go into a battle where I would need my trusty rifle to win and not know where the hell it is. Also, I got into a vehicle once (a wraith) and was instantly cornered by two ghosts....needless to say I was back on the tower sniping ASAP.

Oh, how about that random teammate I splattered trying to get you from behind on Territory 3? How did you avoid that/not die anyway?
That big, yellow dot on the radar and a well-timed jump.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jan 25, 2008, 05:53 PM

Union 360? I thought you said he was with you? I assumed he was a 40 so I was surprised to see he was only an 18. I think he's better than me on a good day, but I can't say he really outplayed me much last night.

Also a good gunner.
He is a friend of mine - occasional lurker here.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 25, 2008, 06:08 PM

Hahaha! Yes when I'm looking for people to use as fodder, I refuse no one. But yeah, decog can hold his own, the other 2 just need some more practice. They don't play nearly as much as me, which isn't all that much. Not tootin my own horn here, I'm not exactly a pro.

Anyhow, they all had a blast. At work this morning we were going over the stats on bungie.net. We all enjoyed your custom Sandtrap for sure (where I got a nice double kill with one rocket on decog and medium9 that I got to rub in their faces today), and I think we're all in agreement that the King of the Hill was the most fun and psychotic.
Cool, cool. Yeah, I'm was worried people wouldn't like such an obvious vehicle whore map, but I think it has a certain charm you don't find on other battle grounds.

And your LeBron James reference is just creepy. At my job, I work with Nike to launch initiatives, the biggest of which is the LeBron James campaign every year. Weeeeird.
Not really, I'm an NBA fan, and LeBron is as hyped as it gets.

You found out my dark secret! For 45 minutes I ran aimlessly around the level locating the weapons I would want (that sniper up on the huge sand dune is a nice thought) and seeing where the teleporters brought me. I did not want to go into a battle where I would need my trusty rifle to win and not know where the hell it is.
Shouldn't be a secret. I kept pushing the damn map because I didn't want folks to be completely with their pants down on the map (Hence the cheat sheet).

So question is, did anyone find the energy sword? I thought I might have seen someone with it last night, but the breakdown says otherwise.

Also, I got into a vehicle once (a wraith) and was instantly cornered by two ghosts....needless to say I was back on the tower sniping ASAP.
One of them was me, and someone gave their life so I could finish you off.

That big, yellow dot on the radar and a well-timed jump.
But why would you be keeping an eye on a member of your team? You should be safe around them... unless you're a betraying asshole.[/not over it]

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
He is a friend of mine - occasional lurker here.
Well, he was a cool dude, and helped stabilize the top ranks by keeping sek in check a little.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 25, 2008, 06:45 PM

Cool, cool. Yeah, I'm was worried people wouldn't like such an obvious vehicle whore map, but I think it has a certain charm you don't find on other battle grounds.
I think a lot of Halo players are secretly vehicle whores. I always love getting the Wraith or Banshee. And the easily accessible missile pod (once people found it) helped keep the vehicles in check so people couldn't just grab them and dominate the whole match.

One of them was me, and someone gave their life so I could finish you off.
I think the accidentally heroic other guy was me. (I don't actually remember the players involved, but if it wasn't that situation, it was another one a lot like it.)
Chuck
___

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 25, 2008, 07:12 PM

So question is, did anyone find the energy sword? I thought I might have seen someone with it last night, but the breakdown says otherwise.
I found it when I was running around the level by myself, but in that type of game it's pretty useless.

But why would you be keeping an eye on a member of your team? You should be safe around them... unless you're a betraying asshole.[/not over it]
I knew you'd be back for revenge. One can't be a betraying asshole without having some smarts about the repercussions.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 26, 2008, 02:34 AM

I would like to award myself...
The "Ain't That a Bitch" Award

Watch this video and you will see why. Here I am blasting Chuckit out of the sky with a missile pod and he still gets a kill. Unbelievable.
http://homepage.mac.com/kcrosbie/macnn/ATAB.mp4

The David Wooderson Award for Person Most Out of Place
goes to... sek929, and his consistent positive finishes and understated pwnage. A man amongst boys, sek mercilessly kept going to his weapon of choice, the sniper rifle, with impunity, and laughably picking us off from inconspicuous spots whilst we rushed each other in mad fury. ...here's to you sek, maybe this award will give you a clue as to why I pick you off first in fire-fights.
I couldn't agree with you more. The man's sniping skills are legendary. Here he is sniping me all the way across your custom Sandtrap map. You can't even see him in this picture.

On the rare occasions when I could stick Sek with a plasma grenade, I would celebrate and breakdance in a fit of joy.

Here's a picture of me killing Dakar from the grave. Wasn't the first time, nor will it be the last.

I think the theme all of these pictures and video share is simple. I died....a lot.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 26, 2008, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
Sometimes the Halo gods are against you.

I couldn't agree with you more. The man's sniping skills are legendary.
While I like the flattery, I know of several people who could shut me out in a game of snipers. I remember that particular shot being one of my best in that game, though.
( Last edited by sek929; Jan 26, 2008 at 06:17 PM. )

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 26, 2008, 05:44 PM

Sometimes the Halo gods are against you.
And I am their (somewhat dead) hand.
Chuck
___

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 26, 2008, 07:02 PM

I think a lot of Halo players are secretly vehicle whores. I always love getting the Wraith or Banshee. And the easily accessible missile pod (once people found it) helped keep the vehicles in check so people couldn't just grab them and dominate the whole match.
Yep, I tried to keep the balance as best as possible. The old version had two hornets and a scorpion tank. I might bring back the scorpion yet, but two hornets gave incredible runs.

I think the accidentally heroic other guy was me. (I don't actually remember the players involved, but if it wasn't that situation, it was another one a lot like it.)
I was thinking it was you, too, actually.

I found it when I was running around the level by myself, but in that type of game it's pretty useless.
While I pretty much expect that too, I'm hoping that it may come in handy when there's more people (8v8), or as a special surprise if someone's chasing you,

I knew you'd be back for revenge. One can't be a betraying asshole without having some smarts about the repercussions.
At least, not a successful one.

I would like to award myself...
The "Ain't That a Bitch" Award

Watch this video and you will see why. Here I am blasting Chuckit out of the sky with a missile pod and he still gets a kill. Unbelievable.
http://homepage.mac.com/kcrosbie/macnn/ATAB.mp4
I loled. (Video capture card? You lucky dog)

I couldn't agree with you more. The man's sniping skills are legendary. Here he is sniping me all the way across your custom Sandtrap map. You can't even see him in this picture.
Ha, I took an even better version of that picture last night for the write-up.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 26, 2008, 07:08 PM

Oh, I forgot to add, I saw that Halo stunts movie, and I'd love to try on where a Hornet is flanked on both sides by Banshees, and each passenger hijacks them.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2008, 10:31 AM

Ugh, so I had quite the weekend. I got home from the bar Saturday night and met a buddy online to do some ranked. The first couple games were a little rough as I was more tipsy then I realized, but after that we had another buddy come on, and for the first time we had four man team for Team Slayer.

And so began what would be an infamous meeting with Bungie's sometimes-much-ballyhooed ranking system. My one friend, Saint1483 (whom played with us Thurs) and I both began at 19. In a span of a six game winning streak, he went from 19 to 25, while I went from 19 to... 20. And just to rub it in, another friend went from 15 to 21.

...and to make matters worse, I did some calculations over the entire course of the night when we partied up and I'm the only payer who finished in the positive (k/d). How irritating.

(Conversely, through the end of our night and a few games yesterday, I lost four games in a row, but remained a 20. I am so screwed for making any kind of progress)

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2008, 10:47 AM

Oh, and for comedy's sake, last week Bungie didn't mention Ranked BTB in their Weekly Update, so this week they outdid themselves -- and didn't release a Weekly Update altogether. Devious.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2008, 12:22 AM

I loled. (Video capture card? You lucky dog)
Nah, I have to do it the old fashion way.
1. Hookup a video camera to my TV
2. Record it to tape
3. Import the footage into iMovie
4. Edit and save

I had fun last Saturday playing BTB with you and your friends. I finally got around to posting a video of my killtrocity. It's not as exciting as I remember it.

http://homepage.mac.com/kcrosbie/macnn/killtrocity.mp4

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2008, 11:28 AM

Gentlemen, I come to you a humble man. I am no longer the best among my friends, as my buddy who the skill system likes more than me got 30 this morning. I still think I can take him one on one, though (but I attribute that more to sneakiness than skill).

I also will admit that as my Halo education has continued I have begun to see some of the short-comings of the GoldenEye controller scheme (Though one of them lays in the fact that it is not a defacto emulation of the scheme). Side-ways strafe-jumping is a challenge.

Lastly, my TS hymen has been broken. I made 22 last night. I can see 25 on the horizon, though I'm not sure after that.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2008, 11:34 AM

Nah, I have to do it the old fashion way.
1. Hookup a video camera to my TV
2. Record it to tape
3. Import the footage into iMovie
4. Edit and save

I had fun last Saturday playing BTB with you and your friends. I finally got around to posting a video of my killtrocity. It's not as exciting as I remember it.

http://homepage.mac.com/kcrosbie/macnn/killtrocity.mp4
I'll DL when I get home. Part of me is surprised the it's even possible to do such a low-tech solution.

Oh, and the Pic for the Day

Achieved in Social Slayer.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2008, 12:01 PM

Sorry for the post-whoring (Yeah, I know, why apologize for it now), but I thought I'd start my write-up of our three best games from Thursday. Without further ado:

Game 1

Team Slayer on High Ground
Tone of Game - Tighter than a Ten year-old

I'd have more to say about this if I hadn't neglected to save the theater film for later viewing. The short of it is, after a Pit slaughter, I rejiggered the teams with the hopes of off-setting Mr. McBlobicus. I did, however, give the opposing (Blue) team an extra person, which is always a dicey proposition -- the extra person can either provide for a much needed assist/double-team, or turn into a an extra piece of fodder.

In this case, it looks like neither. The entire team performed rather evenly, and in the end, fell just shy of the win. sek, in all his defiant glory, had managed to carry his team single-handedly to victory.

-----

I'll be doing the Game 2 write-up tomorrow, replete with pics.

Query: Would anyone like to try for a weekend meet-up?

Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2008, 12:32 PM

I wouldn't mind a weekend game. Especially since work is ridiculous this week. I just can't make it a regular occurrence.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2008, 12:34 PM

I wouldn't mind a weekend game. Especially since work is ridiculous this week. I just can't make it a regular occurrence.
Yes, we know, you get teh sex regularly, quit rubbing it our faces!

Edit: Anyway this is more for the benefit of starman and all our fringe (early and late) players.

Forum Links
Forum Rules