Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Office 2008 Upgrade not shipping until March!?!?!?

Office 2008 Upgrade not shipping until March!?!?!?
TailsToo
Mac Elite
Jan 24, 2008, 07:38 AM

I bought Office 2004 last year during with the expectation that when the new version shipped, I would get the upgrade disk from MS close to the general release date.

After I sent in my coupon, I got an email saying that it would ship on 1/14/08. Great!

A few weeks ago, I got another email saying that the order was delayed, and the new date would be 1/28/ Okay. Still not too bad. I know new releases sometimes have delays.

Now, I just got an email saying that the expected ship date is March 10th. I was in the Apple store over the weekend, and they had lots of copies of Office.

Has anyone else had this happen to them? I am planing to call MS today and get to the bottom, but I thought maybe someone on here might already know what's going on.

dgarrett
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 24, 2008, 08:23 AM

Yes, this is indeed the case. Some folks had rec'd the same e-mail but with a 2/4 date, but all these orders are backordered as well (according to the rants happening all over the place). I just got the e-mail this morning, 3/10 ship date...maybe. Or I can choose to cancel my order altogether.

Ridiculous. Microsoft should be ashamed. I bought mine through the "Black Friday" deal the day after Thanksgiving. Will receive it some time this summer probably.

TailsToo  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 24, 2008, 12:24 PM

I called MS this morning at the number on the email, and they were basically worthless – they said all they can do is tell me the status or cancel my order.

They told me that if I had a complaint, I should call the main MS number at 425-882-8080 and speak to someone there (He had no recommendations as to who I should talk to. I haven’t had a chance to call yet, but in case any of you who are also waiting want to let MS know what you think, here’s the number.

I don’t understand how stores can be filled with product, but it’s such a long wait to duplicate the update that I am sure thousands are waiting for. If Office was flying off of the shelves, maybe, but right now, MS knows that they have the upgrades locked, and really, there’s not much we can do about it. Very bad customer service!

I’ll call them tonight and post what they have to say.

TailsToo  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 24, 2008, 01:25 PM

So I called the number above, and got an operator who said that she had no idea of where to send me: "I am an operator, Sir. I can only connect you to someone if you have a name and number." So I asked to be connect to Craig Eisler (who heads the Mac Business Unit) since I have no idea who else might be able to help. I left him a message with my contact information, so we'll see if he calls back.

Any other suggestions?

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jan 24, 2008, 01:41 PM

Wow really Microsoft delaying a release. Unheard of, the next thing you'll hear is that they've delayed their latest (and supposedly) greatest OS

dgarrett
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 24, 2008, 02:21 PM

Funny. But we're not talking about the product's release being delayed. The stores are stocked with the product yet those of us who pre-ordered months ago (albeit at a discount) are not receiving ours for another couple months.

TailsToo  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 24, 2008, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by MacosNerd View Post
Wow really Microsoft delaying a release. Unheard of, the next thing you'll hear is that they've delayed their latest (and supposedly) greatest OS
I wouldn't be cranky if they delayed the whole program - I just feel like those of us who bought last year's version based on the promise actually getting the Upgrade in a timely manor are being shafted when the store shelves are stocked with product.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Jan 24, 2008, 06:13 PM

i'm sure they will sort it out if you get to speak to the right person.

kylemacr
Jan 25, 2008, 04:12 AM

Why don't they just offer a download and e-mail us our serial numbers? Since we already paid for shipping, then they could take as long as they want to ship it and people wouldn't be nearly as annoyed.

TailsToo  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2008, 09:10 AM

Would be nice - I would have no problem downloading the software. I'm really annoyed that no one at Microsoft seems to care about this. It's just such bad service and really makes me want to not give another cent to them.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 26, 2008, 01:05 AM

If you want to pay for it, they'll be happy to sell you a copy.

I just knew this would happen, which is why I didn't bother to buy Office 2004 for cheap and send away for the upgrade. I already own a copy of 2004, and I knew, just knew the upgrades would be very delayed, so I didn't bother. Plus, my office pays for my software anyway, so the cost difference really doesn't apply to me.

Forum Links
Forum Rules