Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > ATV Movie Rental Question...

ATV Movie Rental Question...
The Wolf
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 27, 2008, 06:22 PM

Alright, maybe I jumped the gun here. I purchased the ATV yesterday, and have a couple questions. Currently, my ATV, television, and MacBook seem to be playing well together. However, I can't understand how to actually play a movie on my television set.

(1) I am in the process downloading a movie rental to my MacBook. I read that the movie can be viewed within a couple minutes of beginning the download, but I can't seem to figure out how to make that happen. Also, how do I actually get the video to my ATV? Do I have to download the whole thing and then sync it?

(2) Why do my ATV and my MacBook both have to be connected to the same Basestation in order for me to access the ATV in iTunes? I spent a couple hours last night "fighting" with it until I figured this out.

Thanks, T.
( Last edited by The Wolf; Jan 27, 2008 at 06:59 PM. )

bearcatrp
Senior User
Jan 27, 2008, 06:57 PM

You have to keep the connection on for it to transfer to the apple tv by either streaming or syncing (copying) .If you stream, the connection has to remain on.
Randy
2010 Mac Mini, 32GB iPod Touch, 2 Apple TV (1)
Home built 12 core 2.93 Westmere PC (almost half the cost of MP) Win7 64.

The Wolf  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 27, 2008, 07:01 PM

So, (I think what you're saying is) I have to download the entire video to my MacBook and then either sync or stream it over to my Apple TV. No?

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 27, 2008, 07:43 PM

Apologies if you already know this, but the new firmware for the AppleTV that allows rentals isn't out yet. I'm not sure that you'll be able to view rentals on your AppleTV until then.

The Wolf  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 27, 2008, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by BRussell View Post
Apologies if you already know this, but the new firmware for the AppleTV that allows rentals isn't out yet. I'm not sure that you'll be able to view rentals on your AppleTV until then.
Is that true??? Why is it even called "Apple TV"??? It should be called "Apple [view some photos with Ken Burns effect on your] TV". Seriously, I can only view the rented movie on my MacBook??? C'mon...

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 27, 2008, 08:25 PM

They said two weeks. It will be two weeks in a couple days.

The Wolf  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 27, 2008, 08:46 PM

ok, well I guess I'll just hold onto it for a couple days and maybe it'll work then. lol. I really misunderstood this announcement. While I'm at it...I still don't understand why my ATV and MacBook have to connect to the same basestation to communicate with each other. Is that ever going to change? I hope. It's kind of a big deal for me.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jan 27, 2008, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
ok, well I guess I'll just hold onto it for a couple days and maybe it'll work then. lol. I really misunderstood this announcement. While I'm at it...I still don't understand why my ATV and MacBook have to connect to the same basestation to communicate with each other. Is that ever going to change? I hope. It's kind of a big deal for me.
Well they have to be on the same network. Why would they ever be on different networks???

All glory to the hypnotoad.

The Wolf  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 27, 2008, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
Why would they ever be on different networks???
Our building has wireless throughout. There are two problems with this. First, I am only allowed to use two devices on the network for the standard pricing plan. I have to pay a premium for each additional device. I have 2 laptops and an iPhone that I've already registered. I don't want to register (pay for) another device to connect. Second, the connection is fast and ubiquitous but a real pain to navigate. I already tried to relay the signal using my AirportExpress (which would actually give me the ability to use my wireless speakers AND the internet at the same time, as well as the ability to connect unlimited devices). Unfortunately, I could not get the Express to do what I needed and therefore I'm stuck having to register each device separately.

Yesterday, I tried connecting the AppleTV. One second I was connected and viewing movie previews and synching, the next my ATV wouldn't show up as a "device" in iTunes anymore. That starting a very long trouble shooting session, which concluding with me discovering that I can't use AppleTV on the buildings connection (at least not for free) and that I needed to have both my computer and ATV on the same network for it to work. The only way around it is for me to use one of my neighbors for both devices, but I don't want to get into that right now.

Forum Links
Forum Rules