Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > My Mac Mini is twitchy with CDs.

My Mac Mini is twitchy with CDs.
yohei72
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 3, 2008, 02:32 PM

The basics: Mac Mini, PowerPC G4; 512 MB SDRAM. Me: quite non-expert user, so be gentle with the big fancy words. Bought used (the Mini, not me) off eBay with AppleCare package included.

It's been great generally, but has issues with some CDs. It plays most fine, but every once in a while a disc slows it down and the cute little box starts grinding like an old wooden flour mill. The "good" CDs and the "bad" CDs seem consistent; i.e., it has trouble with particular CDs. There's one that it can't play at all; in fact, the first time I put it in (sometime last year) the whole computer ground to a halt (spinning color wheel, etc.) and I had to reboot with the power button to even eject the CD. That spooked me enough that I mostly haven't played CDs in it, and have even put off getting some software I need because I'm leary of putting anything in the disc slot. I recently decided it's way past time I do something about this, since I have just a couple months left on the AppleCare, and two big schmancy Apple stores just a subway ride away in Manhattan. Today I experimented for a while with various CDs; no big problems this time, but still won't play that one disc (although it didn't screw the whole system this time).

-Is this a common or uncommon problem? Will the severity continue to fluctuate, or get worse in time, so I should definitely have it looked at? Or is it just a quirk I have to live with, like the way certain earlier DVD players were sometimes incompatible with certain DVDs?

-If I can and should have it fixed, is it a physical problem with the drive that will require repair or even replacement of the unit? Or do I just need more RAM (which seems to be the answer to 80% of computer problems)?

Any insight into any of these questions would be appreciated. Thanks, folks.

cutlassvillager
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 3, 2008, 02:45 PM

I would definately take it into an Apple store before your warranty runs out. It very well could be a problem with the drive and they could replace it for free. That really shouldn't be an issue with the memory. Some drives are just pickier than others, but if you explain to them that your hesitant to even install some needed software on the computer then they should understand and be willing to help. They have many ways of testing your computer's hardware and I would take advantage of that before it is too late.
Quicksilver G4 NewerTech 1.6 GHz | 1.5 GB RAM | 500/160/40GB Internal HDs | Radeon 9800 Pro | 10.5.8
MacBook Pro 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo | 2GB RAM | 320 GB WD Scorpio Black | 10.6.2/Windows 7 Professional | 22" LCD

yohei72  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 4, 2008, 01:41 AM

Heeey, Grand Rapids! I grew up in Lansing; have family and friends in GR, was just there for a day or so around Christmas.

Anyway, thanks for the advice. I'll probably follow it this week.

Go Spartans!

Forum Links
Forum Rules