Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Ouch!!!! Concerns about US hating Obama

Ouch!!!! Concerns about US hating Obama
Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Feb 28, 2008, 10:32 PM

I never paid much attention to any of the current presidential candidates since I have a strong dislike for McClain. But after reading about Obama's explanation for not honoring the United States National Anthem and his refusal to wear a US flag pin, I believe his is absolutely the wrong person to ever govern this land.

Don't get me wrong, these are minor issues for the average Joe, but for someone running for president, I would expect them to go out of their way to prove their allegiance to the country they want to lead. I don't care what the law says. The problem is his attitude.

Hot on the heels of his explanation for why he no longer wears a flag pin, presidential candidate Senator Barack Obama was forced to explain why he doesn’t follow protocol when the National Anthem is played.

According to the United States Code, Title 36, Chapter 10, Sec. 171, During rendition of the national anthem when the flag is displayed, all present except those in uniform are expected to stand at attention facing the flag with the right hand over the heart.

“As I’ve said about the flag pin, I don’t want to be perceived as taking sides,” Obama said. “There are a lot of people in the world to whom the American flag is a symbol of oppression. And the anthem itself conveys a war-like message. You know, the bombs bursting in air and all. It should be swapped for something less parochial and less bellicose. I like the song ‘I’d Like to Teach the World to Sing.’ If that were our anthem, then I might salute it.”
Obama Disrespecting the Flag and US Anthem

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 28, 2008, 10:54 PM

Maybe he's just protesting that lady's horrendous rendition?

I wanted to strangle her after 12 seconds.

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

BlueSky
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2008, 11:00 PM

“As I’ve said about the flag pin, I don’t want to be perceived as taking sides,” Obama said. “There are a lot of people in the world to whom the American flag is a symbol of oppression. And the anthem itself conveys a war-like message. You know, the bombs bursting in air and all. It should be swapped for something less parochial and less bellicose. I like the song ‘I’d Like to Teach the World to Sing.’ If that were our anthem, then I might salute it.”
This guy ain't so lame after all. I'll have to seriously reconsider my anti-Obamaism.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 28, 2008, 11:20 PM

That quote is BS. What Obama really said is this.
I don't really like the American flag. I much prefer the flag of al Qaeda. I'm one of al Qaeda's biggest supporters.
It's true, someone sent it to me in an email.

Buckaroo  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 28, 2008, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
Maybe he's just protesting that lady's horrendous rendition?

I wanted to strangle her after 12 seconds.

greg
That was horrible wasn't it.

Buckaroo  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 28, 2008, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by BRussell View Post
That quote is BS. What Obama really said is this.

It's true, someone sent it to me in an email.
No it isn't.

( Last edited by Buckaroo; Feb 29, 2008 at 01:11 AM. )

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 28, 2008, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by Buckaroo View Post
No it isn't.
wait, so you mean that stuff I read on the Internet about something Obama said, suggesting that he's unpatriotic, really isn't an actual quote?

tie
Professional Poster
Feb 29, 2008, 12:40 AM

Buckaroo, BRussell is right. I heard it, too. Barack Mohammed Hussein Obama is a terrorist plant. (And he's black!)
The 4 o'clock train will be a bus.
It will depart at 20 minutes to 5.

Buckaroo  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 29, 2008, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by tie View Post
Buckaroo, BRussell is right. I heard it, too. Barack Mohammed Hussein Obama is a terrorist plant. (And he's black!)
WTF does that have to do with my post? You are full of crap, and if you are blind and deaf, then you can believe WTF you want.

All you want to do is blur the truth and get off topic. FU.

( Last edited by Buckaroo; Feb 29, 2008 at 01:11 AM. )

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 29, 2008, 12:51 AM

So Buckaroo you're saying that Barack Mohammed Hussein Osama is NOT a terrorist? I'm telling you, I read it on the internet. I thought you, of all people, would believe everything you've read on the internet about Obama, like for example him saying he refuses to put his hand over his heart because the American national anthem should be "I’d Like to Teach the World to Sing."

placebo1969
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 29, 2008, 12:57 AM

I think it's disrespectful not to put your hand over your heart during the National Anthem.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 29, 2008, 12:59 AM

How often are suckers born again?

Buckaroo  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 29, 2008, 01:12 AM

Stop trying to blur the truth.

Here is the truth:

So Buckaroo you're saying that Barack Mohammed Hussein Osama is NOT a terrorist? I'm telling you, I read it on the internet. I thought you, of all people, would believe everything you've read on the internet about Obama, like for example him saying he refuses to put his hand over his heart because the American national anthem should be "I’d Like to Teach the World to Sing."

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 29, 2008, 01:14 AM

McCain will eat him alive.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

placebo1969
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 29, 2008, 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by placebo1969 View Post
I think it's disrespectful not to put your hand over your heart during the National Anthem.
Originally Posted by From Obama's Factcheck site
Asked whether Obama normally puts his hand over his heart while listening to the national anthem, Obama spokesman Bill Burton replied by e-mail: "Sometimes he does, sometimes he doesn't.
I stand by my earlier statement.

TheWOAT
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 29, 2008, 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
McCain will eat him alive.
McCain eats infidels for breakfast, then he spits on them and calls them gooks.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Feb 29, 2008, 01:31 AM

At least he doesn't put his hand over his groin.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 29, 2008, 01:35 AM

Oh come on buckaroo, be a man and admit you were taken. It's happened to all of us. Well, maybe not with such an obvious one.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 29, 2008, 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by placebo1969 View Post
I stand by my earlier statement.
Right, "Obama's Factcheck site."

Buckaroo  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 29, 2008, 01:51 AM

Oh come on buckaroo, be a man and admit you were taken. It's happened to all of us. Well, maybe not with such an obvious one.
The truth is, you are the one taken, and you are blind.

( Last edited by Buckaroo; Feb 29, 2008 at 02:42 AM. )

Buckaroo  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 29, 2008, 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post

Looks like his aim is off (don't go hunting with him), or it is at the end of the music and he lowered his hand to his side a few seconds too early when the photo was snapped. I guess he knew the ending of the song. Does anyone have this on video?
( Last edited by Buckaroo; Feb 29, 2008 at 03:20 AM. )

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 29, 2008, 03:00 AM

He's just trying to hide his enormous erection. THAT'S how much he loves America.

What's with Napoleon in the background? Foreign Agent™?

LegendaryPinkOx
Senior User
Feb 29, 2008, 03:04 AM

Its a bold move, but I for one applaud him for it. I think we could use a leader who can think for himself. And, one who is willing to do away with all this archaic, superflouously patriotic and ritualistic, mumbo-jumbolic, crap. Crap that only helps promote and perpetuate xenophobia in the American public.
are you lightfooted?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 29, 2008, 03:07 AM

You applaud him for being anti-American? For calling the flag a symbol of oppression? Anyone who believes that is completely unfit for office.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Atomic Rooster
Feb 29, 2008, 03:19 AM

Obama's fly was open and he was just doing what any guy would do.

As for the US anthem...it just plain sucks. About some obscure battle during the War of 1812. And black singers always make a mockery of it.

As for the heart thing, what's with that hogwash crap? Means nothing.

Buckaroo  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 29, 2008, 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by Atomic Rooster View Post
Obama's fly was open and he was just doing what any guy would do.

As for the US anthem...it just plain sucks. About some obscure battle during the War of 1812. And black singers always make a mockery of it.

As for the heart thing, what's with that hogwash crap? Means nothing.

Damn, what is going on with your head . . . skull (whatever)?

Arty50
Mac Elite
Feb 29, 2008, 03:45 AM

Hot on the heels of his explanation for why he no longer wears a flag pin, presidential candidate Senator Barack Obama was forced to explain why he doesn’t follow protocol when the National Anthem is played.

According to the United States Code, Title 36, Chapter 10, Sec. 171, During rendition of the national anthem when the flag is displayed, all present except those in uniform are expected to stand at attention facing the flag with the right hand over the heart.

Perhaps I'm gullible by responding to this, but you do know that this a fake quote posted on azconservative.org. It was posted as satire from what I understand.

Obama NEVER said this.

Some truth:
Obama fights back on questions about his patriotism - CNN.com

and some more truth:
Urban Legends Reference Pages: Barack Obama and the National Anthem

My favorite quote of his on this (from the cnn article):
"Obama replied that his choice not to put his hand on his heart is a behavior that 'would disqualify about three-quarters of the people who have ever gone to a football game or baseball game.'"

But hey, his hands were folded. Maybe he was praying to God at the time instead...
"My friend, there are two kinds of people in this world:
those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig."

-Clint in "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

LegendaryPinkOx
Senior User
Feb 29, 2008, 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
You applaud him for being anti-American? For calling the flag a symbol of oppression? Anyone who believes that is completely unfit for office.
If you had to pass through foreign imposed armed checkpoints, subject to pat down searches everytime you want to get into town. Being constantly monitored by foreign troops who have no qualms calling you slurs because they think you can't understand what their saying amongst themselves, though they say it quite loudly.

I think you'd call this oppressive no?

are you lightfooted?

Buckaroo  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 29, 2008, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by Arty50 View Post
Perhaps I'm gullible by responding to this, but you do know that this a fake quote posted on azconservative.org. It was posted as satire from what I understand.

Obama NEVER said this.
Some truth:
Obama fights back on questions about his patriotism - CNN.com

and some more truth:
Urban Legends Reference Pages: Barack Obama and the National Anthem

My favorite quote of his on this (from the cnn article):
"Obama replied that his choice not to put his hand on his heart is a behavior that 'would disqualify about three-quarters of the people who have ever gone to a football game or baseball game.'"

But hey, his hands were folded. Maybe he was praying to God at the time instead...
Point taken. I don't know if he made that quote. I was looking for any printed reply from him. It wasn't my main message.

My major concern was his attitude about not wearing a flag pin, and not holding his hand over his heart during the playing of the national anthem. He wasn't praying to the flag.

As far as disqualifying 3/4 of everyone at a baseball game, they ain't running for president, he is.

Taliesin
Mac Elite
Feb 29, 2008, 05:08 AM

No matter what the US does or represents, an american president should be patriotic and not ashamed of the US-flag or its national anthem. Instead an american president should be ashamed of the US' foreign actions and aim at changing it for the "much better", so that one day, not only the american president, but the whole of the US can justifiedly be proud of its flag and it starts to represent something worthwhile and good in the world.

But somehow this seems like an election-mudslinging, and yet I think this is something that actually has been prepared by Obama's campaign, and it works like this: During an election-campaign there will always be mudslinging between rivals when the competition gets into its hot phase, and therefore since it's inevitable it's better to offer superficial grounds for such attacks, in order to control the mudslinging. So Obama's campaign lets Obama do these seemingly unpatriotic things, like sometimes not putting the hand on the heart during the national anthem... and let the competition get wild about it, so that he can fully in control of the whole controversy and prepared to set things right, come out as an innocent victim, and having the opportunity to fully disclose his truly patriotic heart, while at the same time portraying the others as mere show-patriots with no substance.

Taliesin

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Feb 29, 2008, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by LegendaryPinkOx View Post
Wow, look at the number of cars in that pick. I'm sure I could muster up some of those shots of soldiers holding happy children and statements from citizenry that they're happy for a larger US presence, but that's just placating more anecdotal foolery.
ebuddy

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 29, 2008, 10:59 AM

The truth is, you are the one taken, and you are blind.
Wow Buckaroo, I was amused before, but you really can't just admit you were had, can you?

Tiresias
Feb 29, 2008, 11:25 AM

I hope Obama wins.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 29, 2008, 11:35 AM

What's to be had here?

There's a video that shows a candidate for President not holding his hand over his heart, as is traditional and codified.

There's a statement his wife made about her lack of pride in the country for decades (apparently, only now for the first time in her life, is she proud of her country.) We do not know if Mr. Obama shares his wife's sentiments in this regard.

There's enough here for a person who wants to have concerns about Mr.Obama to have a basis for those concerns.

As for me, this is disturbing. It is far more legitimate than the nonsense over Mr. Obama's middle name.

It is far less worrisome than Mr. Obama's stated policy positions.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 29, 2008, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by vmarks View Post
What's to be had here?
Did you read the quote? It says Obama wishes the national anthem was "I'd like to teach the world to sing."

The idea that he "refuses to salute the flag" is a lie and is based on an obviously bogus quote. Obama accidentally forgot to put his hand over his heart once. Bush accidentally put his hand over his stomach once. McCain accidentally called himself a "liberal Republican" once. Things happen. If you believe an obvious lie in a spam email, you've been had.

Macrobat
Mac Elite
Feb 29, 2008, 11:44 AM

More bothering to me is the lying, plathering, backstabbing, two-faced Obama who will say anything to get elected.

Hot Air � Blog Archive � Obama’s NAFTA double-talk confirmed: CTV
"That Others May Live"
On the ISG: "The nation's capital hasn't seen such concentrated wisdom in one place since Paris Hilton dined alone at the Hooters on Connecticut Avenue." - John Podhoretz

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 29, 2008, 11:46 AM

As for me, this is disturbing. It is far more legitimate than the nonsense over Mr. Obama's middle name.
I don't think it's nonsense. It's not all that consequential, but it is a small additional factor pointing to the deficiency of his candidacy.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 29, 2008, 12:01 PM

Did you read the quote? It says Obama wishes the national anthem was "I'd like to teach the world to sing."

The idea that he "refuses to salute the flag" is a lie and is based on an obviously bogus quote. Obama accidentally forgot to put his hand over his heart once. Bush accidentally put his hand over his stomach once. McCain accidentally called himself a "liberal Republican" once. Things happen. If you believe an obvious lie in a spam email, you've been had.
Did you pay attention to what I wrote? Obviously not.
I don't put any stock in emails sent around.
I don't put any stock in some silly quote about changing the national anthem.

Which is why I didn't refer to them.

However, there is a video, and there's the sentiment in his family (his wife has repeatedly talked about her lack of pride in America, until his campaign told her to cool it.)

As I said, there's enough to raise concern if you want to be concerned.

I am more concerned about his stated policy positions than I am about this. His stated positions are worrisome.

OreoCookie
Feb 29, 2008, 12:10 PM

This is pretty much akin to the `controversy' over his middle name: apparently some people have run out of facts, policies and political convictions they disagree with

If you put wear a little flag pin on your jacket all the time doesn't imply you're a patriot. Nor is the converse true. Kind of reminds me of those `going through the motions' Christians you see on TV all the time. Basically his statement is that he doesn't like what this symbol has become and that he prefers his actions be testimony to his patriotism. What's wrong with that?
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 29, 2008, 12:12 PM

IMO, this is the crux right here. Those looking for something to be concerned over, will find it somewhere.

As for myself, while it isn't my country or candidate, I completely fail to see how trying to measure candidates to some ambiguous yet requisite "level of national pride" invalidates someone's candidacy. Imagine if Obama didn't have the American flag flying outside his house. Would that be an indication that he's not "proud" of America? Not a "true" American? Unsure of which country he lives in? A terrorist?

*shrug*

Some of you people seem pretty worked up over such small, petty little things.

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 29, 2008, 12:17 PM

Did you pay attention to what I wrote? Obviously not.
I don't put any stock in emails sent around.
I don't put any stock in some silly quote about changing the national anthem.

Which is why I didn't refer to them.

However, there is a video, and there's the sentiment in his family (his wife has repeatedly talked about her lack of pride in America, until his campaign told her to cool it.)

I am more concerned about his stated policy positions than I am about this. His stated positions are worrisome.
Maybe I did misunderstand - you started your post with "What's to be had here." I thought you were referring to my post above yours that said to Buckaroo "you've been had." If not, sorry.

tie
Professional Poster
Feb 29, 2008, 01:10 PM

Buckaroo and Big Mac, check your PMs. I'm selling some land in Florida. (Good conservative land, you'll be happy to hear.)

Originally Posted by Buckaroo
WTF does that have to do with my post? You are full of crap, and if you are blind and deaf, then you can believe WTF you want.

All you want to do is blur the truth and get off topic. FU.
Quoted for the irony.
The 4 o'clock train will be a bus.
It will depart at 20 minutes to 5.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 29, 2008, 02:09 PM

The proper etiquette is to hold right hand over heart. If you're in uniform, the proper etiquette is to salute. It is also proper to remove hats.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Feb 29, 2008, 02:39 PM

I find it funny that some people get worked up over such things. In Canada, it's almost unpatriotic not to criticize our national anthem.

But then, I find it funny that the land of the free has rules dictating how one must stand during the national anthem and that one must wear a kilogram of pins to declare their various allegiences.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 29, 2008, 05:17 PM

I never see anyone put their hand over the heart anymore.

Stand up, take hats off, and be silent during the anthem.

That's enough for anybody IMO.

Mountains out of molehills.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 29, 2008, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
I find it funny that some people get worked up over such things. In Canada, it's almost unpatriotic not to criticize our national anthem.

But then, I find it funny that the land of the free has rules dictating how one must stand during the national anthem and that one must wear a kilogram of pins to declare their various allegiences.
All I know is that a real American wouldn't talk about kilograms.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Feb 29, 2008, 06:04 PM

All I know is that a real American wouldn't talk about kilograms.
ya ... I chose kilograms intentionally

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 29, 2008, 08:03 PM

Non-issue.

One thing about Obama, is that even though I disagree with him about many things, I get the feeling he'd be a fairly decent President in that I don't think he'd go too far with the more ridiculous of his ideas, as opposed to say, Hillary who probably thinks she's owed the dismantling of any and everything she wants to get her mitts on like healthcare and other people's wealth.

I suspect Obama would play it safer, try and prove himself, and not take on too much more than he could actually chew. IF he somewhere harbors any resentment of America (I don't know, not saying he does, certainly not from this non-issue) I don't think as President he'd actually act on any of it- I think he's way smarter than that.

I wouldn't mind a guy in office who'll basically just stay the F out of everyone's way, and lets the country and the people do what they do without nanny state intervention, which is really what makes the nation work. It's what any good politician should really do, besides make a few meaningless platitude-laden speeches now and then to appease the sheeple whose lives revolve around such things. For the rest of us, politicians have little role in our lives except to stay the F as much as possible out of it.

Of course I readily admit my suspicions could be wrong- maybe once in office all common sense would leave the man and he'll take on the role of socialist dictator out to dismantle everything he ever labeled as 'unfair' in the name of some twisted nanny-state notion of 'change'.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Feb 29, 2008, 08:49 PM

I'm more concerned over the girl with two hearts, sounds like a very rare condition.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 29, 2008, 09:43 PM

Oh the drama. Thanks for reminding me how retarded the pol lounge is. If people find this disturbing, they are disturbed already. Please.

Forum Links
Forum Rules