Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Powerbook G4, 1.33GHz: What's going to be my best-performing OS?

Powerbook G4, 1.33GHz: What's going to be my best-performing OS?
pcryan5
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 4, 2008, 04:44 PM

I purchased an old Powerbook G4 - 1.33ghz with 785MB ram - my question is - for this older model does Tiger or Leopard make most sense performance wise?

Thank you

pcryan5  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 4, 2008, 04:47 PM

<>I purchased an old Powerbook G4 - 1.33ghz with 785MB ram - my question is - for this older model does Tiger or Leopard make most sense performance wise?

I should have mentioned - all I want to do is email, iWork & surf

kga1978
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 4, 2008, 06:06 PM

I would go for Leopard - on my 1.5GHz it is quicker than Tiger!

JKT
Professional Poster
Mar 4, 2008, 07:56 PM

Personally, I would probably stick with Tiger owing to the amount of RAM you have unless you are willing to bump that up to the maximum level as well.

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2008, 08:28 PM

Go for Leopard, after you do what JKT says, bump up that ram! Even if you stick with Tiger, bump up that ram. Too little ram will kill any comparison between operating systems.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Mar 4, 2008, 09:25 PM

I used to run 10.4 on the exact same Powerbook setup. It worked fine for day to day things. Stick with 10.4 and you'll be peachy.

naphtali
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 4, 2008, 10:24 PM

Leopard works great with my G4 1.33GHz (1 GB RAM). The discreet graphics really helped with the longevity of the machine.

I doubt that there is much of a difference from 785 MB (768 MB?) RAM, so it really should be peachy on your machine too!

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 4, 2008, 11:04 PM

Leopard. But more RAM!

pcryan5  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 4, 2008, 11:35 PM

<>Leopard. But more RAM!

thanks all - I will up the 512MB panel to a 1GB - the base memory of 256MB is onboard I believe.

zaghahzag
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 5, 2008, 12:18 AM

get a new HD too. that will make it really crank. Those g4s are great little machines.

tinkered
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 5, 2008, 12:20 AM

What size your powerbook? 12"?
17" MBP C2D 2.33/3 GB RAM/500 GB 7200 rpm/Glossy Display|-|
17" iMac CD|-|15" PB G4 1.25 GHz|-|iBook g4 1Ghz|-|Pismo

pcryan5  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2008, 12:53 AM

It's a 12" - cute little thing. When the MBA came out I decided to buy one of these 2nd hand as they are going for a song now.

I have a Black MB & MBP so I won't invest much money into it. Extra ram seems to be enough.

Duracell
Forum Regular
Mar 5, 2008, 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by pcryan5 View Post
I purchased an old Powerbook G4 - 1.33ghz with 785MB ram - my question is - for this older model does Tiger or Leopard make most sense performance wise?

Thank you
From personal experience, Leopard - Like other people have said, bump up the RAM a bit if you've got the money - You'd probably notice a difference over tiger regardless though.
Macbook Pro 15" Rev: Feb08
iPhone & iPod Touch

20" iMac G5, Mac Mini G4 and an iBook G4, all retired.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 5, 2008, 04:50 AM

With less than 2GB RAM I'd stay with Tiger.

OreoCookie
Mar 5, 2008, 06:01 AM

Upgrade your RAM to at least 1.5 GB and then you're good to go for Leopard.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

amazing
Professional Poster
Mar 5, 2008, 11:24 AM

writing this from my 12" 1.33 with Leopard and 1.25 GB RAM. Works very well under Leopard. There's great value in staying familiar with the latest version of the OS.

With one big caveat: DO NOT INSTALL the Leopard Graphics update, because that will kill DVD Player. There's big long threads on the Apple Discussions site, and I posted a thread here where others confirmed the problem. 10.5.2 update is fine, at which point you tell Software Upgrade to ignore the Graphics Update.

Big question is whether you have anything that needs Classic. If so, stay with Tiger.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2008, 01:47 PM

You do not mention which specific apps you use but my recommendation is to stay with 10.4.11. The latest Tiger is rock-solid on G4s and still well supported by Apple and app vendors. Leopard is not yet rock-solid for many apps (e.g. Adobe, Apple) and any speed benefit of Leopard over Tiger on G4s is small. In general I agree with amazing regarding staying with the latest OS versions, but only after each new version has proven rock-solid.

I agree with others, upgrade to max RAM no matter which OS you choose. Call OWC Find the latest Performance Upgrades, Firewire and USB Hard Drives, SATA, Memory, Laptop Battery, and more at OWC for presales info on what the max upgrade solution is for your specific box.

-Allen Wicks
( Last edited by SierraDragon; Mar 5, 2008 at 02:01 PM. )

pcryan5  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2008, 10:53 PM

<>You do not mention which specific apps you use but my recommendation is to stay with 10.4.11.

"I should have mentioned - all I want to do is email, iWork & surf" (My follow up note http://forums.macnn.com/images/smili...school/eek.gif)

I can't imagine the poor folks who purchased this with the default 256MB. Now that must have been some painful.

Thanks to all for your input.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2008, 02:25 PM

I did see the generic usages you listed. By specific apps I was referring to specific apps like Safari, Firefox, Mail, Entourage, Internet Explorer, etc. Some of the apps among all possible mail/browser/iwork apps are bound to have some Leopard anomalies.

-Allen Wicks

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 6, 2008, 02:48 PM

Safari, Firefox, Mail and Entourage have no Leopard anomalies that I have heard of. Leopard is stable and good for almost everything right now. Adobe is the only question mark.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2008, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by peeb View Post
Adobe is the only question mark.
No question mark, Adobe has stated that Photoshop will not be fully compatible until OS 10.5.3.at the earliest allegedly due to OS anomalies.

-Allen Wicks

Koralatov
Senior User
Mar 6, 2008, 04:19 PM

I run Leopard on an iMac G4 (1.25GHz, 1.25GB RAM), and it runs at least as well as Tiger. I think if you boosted the RAM, you’d be good to go. One word of warning though: iPhoto ‘08 is a tad “stately” (read: not fast) under both Leopard and Tiger. It’s not a major issue, and it still runs fine, but it’s just not as fast or smooth as it is on newer machine.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 6, 2008, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by SierraDragon View Post
No question mark, Adobe has stated that Photoshop will not be fully compatible until OS 10.5.3.at the earliest allegedly due to OS anomalies.

-Allen Wicks
Agreed, but there are no major apps apart from some Adobe ones that I am aware of that are questionable under Leopard.

finalsortie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 7, 2008, 12:47 PM

I am currently running 10.5.2 on a 1.07ghz iBook G4, 768 ram. I tax my system to the max when ever I use it. The computer is generally much faster and more responsive than it ever was under either Panther or Tiger. For basic usage such as email and surfing the web you should be fine. However, some extra ram would not hurt for iWork apps. Although, I am very happy with their performance on my system, especially considering its specs. Photoshop CS2 works perfectly as well.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2008, 04:15 PM

Agreed, but there are no major apps apart from some Adobe ones that I am aware of that are questionable under Leopard.
Anecdotally Apple's Aperture v.2.0 had issues reported with Leopard but as I am still on 10.4.11 for Adobe reasons I cannot personally confirm that.

-Allen Wicks

tridentinecanon
Mar 9, 2008, 01:34 PM

What about on a G3 iBook?

Koralatov
Senior User
Mar 10, 2008, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by tridentinecanon View Post
That’s a topic of some debate. Personally, if you have enough RAM in the machine (at least 512MB), and it’s fast enough (366MHz or better), I recommend Tiger as the OS to use; from my experience, it’s marginally faster than Panther is, it has Spotlight, Safari 3 and there are more apps available for it. Whilst it’s never going to scream, I use it on a daily basis on a 466 Clamshell with 576MB of RAM, and I’m really happy with the performance. The only thing it struggles with is video—both flash and DivX/Xvid. If it has a DVD drive, it’ll play DVDs fine though.

DCJ001
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 10, 2008, 09:32 PM

Rather than buying Leopard, RAM, and/or a new hard drive, why not pay a little but more for a new MacBook that includes everything including a lot of additional features and better performance?

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Mar 10, 2008, 10:23 PM

Safari, Firefox, Mail and Entourage have no Leopard anomalies that I have heard of. Leopard is stable and good for almost everything right now. Adobe is the only question mark.
On my iMac G5, Leopard's Mail is a bit laggy. It can be especially bad if a Time Machine backup is going on at the time - if that's the case, it can lag a whole sentence or more behind what you type. I think it's a memory leak or something, because quitting and relaunching Mail seems to improve things.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

bowlingb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 11, 2008, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by tridentinecanon View Post
Leopard is not an option. The minimum processor is a G4.

bowlingb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 11, 2008, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by pcryan5 View Post

Thank you
This is my daily workhorse machine:
Model Name: PowerBook G4 15"
Model Identifier: PowerBook5,2
Processor Name: PowerPC G4 (1.1)
Processor Speed: 1 GHz
Number Of CPUs: 1
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 768 MB

I am running 10.5.2 right now with no performance issues. 10.5.1 seemed a bit laggy, but that cleared up with 10.5.2. I do plan to add more memory as time and budget allows.
BTW your initial 256MB should be installed in a removable lower memory slot. I would swap that one out next.

Forum Links
Forum Rules