Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > IRONY: 2 Apple Displays & 1 Firewire Port

IRONY: 2 Apple Displays & 1 Firewire Port
StrongBad
Forum Regular
Feb 25, 2008, 12:52 PM

I find oddly unsettling that my brand new setup (3.2 Mac Pro + 2x 23" Cinema's) has an critical design flaw. Two Cinema Displays means there is a USB / FW hubs built into each (total of two hubs, 4 USB ports, 4 FW ports) yet when I run the cables across my desk and down to the Mac Pro, I can easily plug in the 2 DVI and 2 USB cables, but one of the FireWire cables is left to dangle since there is only 1 FireWire 400 port on the back. To make matters worse, the cable isn't long enough stretch around front (not that I would want to).

Here's the kicker, I don't even need the hubs in the displays!

I just lay awake at night, bothered by the fact that a cable is just dangling behind the MP, unused, unable to be provided a port to live, he's unwanted and somewhat emotionally abused (in the symbolic sense). Poor little guy didn't do anything wrong, and now he is without home...

It's very "un-apple" to sell something that includes a dangling cable. Yes, I know customer's don't buy dual display setups at an amazing rate, but its common enough. I shutter to think of what cable dangling havoc a quad display setup would cause.

So, design flaw? logistical over sight? engineer laziness? This just seems odd.

ps, I love this machine. these comments are tongue in cheek.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Feb 25, 2008, 05:46 PM

If you don't need the hub, don't use it. I haven't got my display's hub hooked up (no USB or firewire cable hooked up). Otherwise I believe there are Firewire 400 to 800 adapters. Sonnet - FireWire 400 to 800 Adapter

I certainly don't expect people with 4 or 6 displays (and yesthere are people with that many displays) to hook up all their displays' hubs.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 25, 2008, 05:55 PM

Yea, a cheap 1394b-1394a adapter is all you need. Or you could plug one display into the other if you have FW800 peripherals to use.

StrongBad  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 25, 2008, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Or you could plug one display into the other
I would love to see you make this happen. I think the earth will spin out of control and life as we know it will end if you could do it without putting the displays DIRECTLY on top of the tower.

StrongBad  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 25, 2008, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Leonard View Post
If you don't need the hub, don't use it.
Not the issue. Dangling cable is the issue.

Apple: "Thank you for your $5k purchase!"

Me: "No sweat, I love you guys. Been using Apple for years."

Apple "Great! So to set this up plug in both DVI cables, both USB cables, and one FW cable."

Me: "oh, but there is another firewire cable here, what should I do?"

Apple: "Right, take that firewire cable, which by the way, isn't it a pretty firewire cable? You know Apple is a very detail oriented company, we like to pride in ourselves with the small touches we provide our visually sensitive customers. Like the plastics caps on the ends of our cables, or the refined feel of the cables in your hand. Did you like how we had a small 1/2 plastic sticker over the Apple logo on your display's? That's because we know aesthetics are important to our users, we wouldn't want that shiny logo harmed en route. Did you know the TV character Monk is an Apple user, at least fictionally he is. That's a testament to our design quality. Sorry, I got off topic, now take that other firewire cable and just let it hang down the back of your machine in a very haphazard manner, no biggie."
( Last edited by StrongBad; Feb 25, 2008 at 06:15 PM. )

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 25, 2008, 09:49 PM

You could get a PCI card if it's really bugging you.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 25, 2008, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by StrongBad View Post
I would love to see you make this happen. I think the earth will spin out of control and life as we know it will end if you could do it without putting the displays DIRECTLY on top of the tower.
Or you could just buy an extension cable.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Feb 27, 2008, 02:01 PM

Not the issue. Dangling cable is the issue.
Take your hand and pull out the cable. Put the cable in a desk drawer and forget about it. no more dangling cable. GEEESH It's an option, not a mandatory requirement.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

action
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 27, 2008, 02:15 PM

i purchased a 3 port usb and 2 port firewire 400 card from owc. i think that's the point of mac pros. you can expand them as necessary. it sounds like for you its necessary.

getting this card helped me eliminate some cable clutter since i no longer need an external usb or firewire hubs. i was able to eliminate two power bricks, additional cabling etc...

it was worth the money for me.

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 27, 2008, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Leonard View Post
Take your hand and pull out the cable. Put the cable in a desk drawer and forget about it. no more dangling cable. GEEESH It's an option, not a mandatory requirement.
Problem is, you can't pull it out. The Cinema displays have one cable running out the back, and at the connector end it spiders out into the DVI, USB, Firewire 400, and power plug. It's basically still keeping the one cable idea from the ADC days, but now moving the cable mess to the rear of the tower.
<This space under renovation>

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 27, 2008, 09:58 PM

I have the same dangling Firewire deal with my ACD and MBAir, so I shoved it behind my desk.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 28, 2008, 01:04 AM

Lop it off with scissors if it bothers you.
/wait, what?


voo
Forum Regular
Feb 28, 2008, 03:16 PM

Apparently you haven't heard of these...

StrongBad  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 29, 2008, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by voo View Post
Apparently you haven't heard of these...

WTF? How does that solve the problem?

For such die hard apple fans, only 2 peeps see what I'm saying. Holy crap people.

First, reread the line "ps, I love this machine. these comments are tongue in cheek." Can nobody see the irony and humor???

Second, stop linking to all sorts of friggen lame a** 3rd party products that you think I should buy. Again, you are missing the point.

And jesus h, if you've never seen a cinema display cable (Leonard), chances are very very good you have nothing valuable to share. GEEESH thanks for you so very helpful step by step instructions.

voo
Forum Regular
Feb 29, 2008, 04:23 PM

How does that solve the problem?
Well, the tie wrap locks it to another cable. Tightly and firmly. No dangling cable. There's this thing called cable management. Ever heard of it? ¬_¬

I don't even need the hubs in the displays!
So that was why you're making such a fuss over it...

For such die hard apple fans, only 2 peeps see what I'm saying. Holy crap people.

First, reread the line "ps, I love this machine. these comments are tongue in cheek." Can nobody see the irony and humor???
Second, stop linking to all sorts of friggen lame a** 3rd party products that you think I should buy. Again, you are missing the point.
Yes, it is so lame and so expensive! Considering they will probably sell those at your local DIY shop.

And jesus h, if you've never seen a cinema display cable (Leonard), chances are very very good you have nothing valuable to share. GEEESH thanks for you so very helpful step by step instructions.
You're such a drama queen.

You sound as bad as certain other individuals, making a lot of fuss because the Leopard desktop isn't on the packaging. It's quite laughable.

I'm so sorry I missed your humour though. GEEESH, I'll go hang my head in shame and stand in the corner.

Oh how I'll never be able to get to sleep tonight!

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 29, 2008, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by Cadaver View Post
Lop it off with scissors if it bothers you.
QFT.

What a stupid thread. I'm surprised it has lasted for over 24h.
•

StrongBad  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 1, 2008, 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by voo View Post
Well, the tie wrap locks it to another cable. Tightly and firmly. No dangling cable. There's this thing called cable management. Ever heard of it?
dude, that's the whole point right there. cable management. do you think I'd be pointing this out if I didn't have some extreme cable management going on?

jamito
Mar 4, 2008, 05:11 PM

If you plug the firewire cable into the other monitor does it look bad?
ibook 14", 600 mhz, 384mb ram
mbp 15", 2.2ghz SR C2D, 2 gb ram, 128vram, 20" ACD
powermac dc 2.3ghz, 2.5 gb ram, 20" ACD
3g 30gb ipod, 5g 60gb video ipod, 2g 4gb blue ipod nano, isight

StrongBad  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 5, 2008, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by jamito View Post
If you plug the firewire cable into the other monitor does it look bad?

voo
Forum Regular
Mar 5, 2008, 11:31 PM

Heh, this sure is an amusing thread. I'd bet StrongBad sits at his machine scowling at this dangling cable day and night.

Tommib
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 20, 2008, 07:45 AM

Don't worry StrongBad, I understand! Two cinema displays isn't that uncommon! Unfortunately crappy USB 2 is so popular they only put one FireWire on the back of a Mac Pro.

Frankeinstein
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 20, 2008, 01:51 PM

heh.

you thought cable management might be bad, with a lose/dangling cable; dont forget to look for dead pixels!

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Mar 20, 2008, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Tommib View Post
Don't worry StrongBad, I understand! Two cinema displays isn't that uncommon! Unfortunately crappy USB 2 is so popular they only put one FireWire on the back of a Mac Pro.
No they didn't, they put two FireWire ports on the back. It's just that one of them is a FW800 port which you can easily adapt using the $12 adapter that mduell linked to.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 20, 2008, 09:53 PM

It's kinda funny that the FW800 male to FW400 female adapter is $12 when you can get a FW800 male to FW400 male adapter with a 6 foot cable for $4. Just a supply/demand/volume issue I guess.

Frankeinstein
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 21, 2008, 01:42 PM

Monoprice.com has them for under 3$ each kind.

Forum Links
Forum Rules