Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > 2 Questions on Entourage 04 and 08

2 Questions on Entourage 04 and 08
infowarrior
Forum Regular
Mar 24, 2008, 08:57 AM

I am running Office 2004 on a new iMac and a current build of Leopard. I'm also quite diligent with mail management, and my database rarely gets larger than 700MB.

The other day, Entourage 04 began arbitrarily quitting for no reason whatsoever. No data was lost (yet) but it's happened a fair number of times that I'm beginning to worry and consider moving to Entourage 08.

My questions are this:

a) anyone have similar Entourage quits on 10.5.2 recently?

b) can you install just Entourage 08 and keep using Word 04, or is it just 'better' to upgrade completely?

TIA.

Nivag
Mac Elite
Mar 25, 2008, 12:40 PM

My Entourage database is about the same size as yours and is well below the size I've seen on other peoples machines. I was running 2004 on Leopard until last week and didn't have many crashes with that setup. I updated to 2008 for another reason and it's not crashed once (touch wood).

I would try to rebuild the database before upgrading and see if that helps, also clear your font caches as well. There might be a problem there.

How to rebuild your identity database in Entourage

How to rebuild a corrupt font cache on a Macintosh

As for keeping Word 04 and using Entourage 08, I don't know I removed the 2004 version before the upgrade and I know the installer will move any older versions it finds to trash.

infowarrior  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 1, 2008, 10:33 AM

Actually what I think happened was fscking time machine somehow got re-enabled and began to mess with my database when it went to copy itself.

I had disabled TM when building my box last month but I think a sw update re-enabled it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules