Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Why a used Mac Mini is hard to find cheap?

Why a used Mac Mini is hard to find cheap?
I WAS the One
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 17, 2008, 08:07 AM

You can find any Mac cheaper online anywhere, I mean great deals, I always bought cheap used Macs that works great... but I try to find one Mac mini g4 online cheap and it's almost the same price as the new Intel one! Why?? Why is hard to find a cheap Mac Mini? why the price still almost the same when People always said that their specs aren't that great... I don't get it. I want to buy one for my mom, but I don't want to pay too much for something that I know maybe my mom will leave untouched... so anyone can help me here?
Enjoy My Mac Comic @ BLAST COMICS

bearcatrp
Senior User
Mar 17, 2008, 08:26 AM

These minis are very popular to use as a media center or a web server. I looked for one thinking the 1.66 duo core would be around 400 bucks but see them at 500 bucks. Just have to keep you eyes pealed for deal. Take a look at this company using a series of these thing.. macminicolo Mac Mini colocation . Am hoping the next generation mini will drop the price of the old ones under 400. Good luck hunting.
2010 Mac Mini, 32GB iPod Touch, 2 Apple TV (1)
Home built 12 core 2.93 Westmere PC (almost half the cost of MP) Win7 64.

I WAS the One  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 17, 2008, 11:18 AM

I don't know why Apple raised the prices of those Mac Minis, It was a great marketing push for people that want to start using Macs but don't want to spend a lot trying... yep, thanx for the link I will keep hunting for them... I love them.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 17, 2008, 11:53 AM

They are also popular because there is no mid range tower - a lot of people wanting a basic machine for word processing, email etc don't need anything more than the G4 minis, and there is no other machine that Apple makes that competes.

stukdog
Mar 21, 2008, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by bearcatrp View Post
Take a look at this company using a series of these thing.. macminicolo Mac Mini colocation .
Hey, that's my company.

We're continually looking for G4 minis because we have a lot of 4D developers who still prefer the PowerPC machines for running their 4D apps. We bought a lot of G4's from ebay and craigslist, and I'm continually surprised at how well them keep their prices. (Hopefully all the minis we buy aren't keeping the prices up for the rest of you.)

I also found a few people who wanted the G4's because the machines are for their parents/grandparents and the modem is built in for dial-up internet.

That being said, when it comes to being a webserver, the Intel minis are MUCH better suited. Of course the processor is faster, but that is rarely used when serving sites/databases/etc. What really helps is the ability to jump the RAM up to 3GB. The performance increase is incredible.
Macminicolo.net - Your mini. Our data center. The perfect low-cost server.

bearcatrp
Senior User
Mar 22, 2008, 09:33 AM

I'm hoping for the new quad core chip to be installed. I see that Dell sells a laptop with these so crossing my fingers. I wouldn't mind if it grows a little in size to accomodate bigger fans for the heat. It would also have to have max 4gb ram too. Leopard would scream on this puppy.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 22, 2008, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by bearcatrp View Post
I'm hoping for the new quad core chip to be installed. I see that Dell sells a laptop with these so crossing my fingers. I wouldn't mind if it grows a little in size to accomodate bigger fans for the heat. It would also have to have max 4gb ram too. Leopard would scream on this puppy.
It's almost guaranteed that won't happen.

Laminar
Clinically Insane
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Mar 22, 2008, 11:34 AM

I picked up a brand new 2.0 C2D Mini on eBay last month for $625. I was going to recommend the seller, but he's no longer a member of eBay...oops.

bearcatrp
Senior User
Mar 22, 2008, 02:35 PM

Tiger direct is selling a 1.66 core duo for 499.99. Thought about grabbing but will wait for the update to see what apple spits out.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 23, 2008, 04:21 PM

I got my 1.66 core duo straight from Apple for $429. Refurb, but has the same warranty as a new one. Also sometimes refurbs will come with free upgrades from the previous owner, although mine didn't.

MacPro8Core
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 26, 2008, 11:34 PM

I actually paid $250 for my 1.66 Core Duo Mini from a lady in town off of Craigslist. That was an amazing deal!
Mac Pro 2.8 Octo-Core | Mac Mini 1.66 Core Duo | PowerMac G4 Sawtooth | PowerMac G3 Blue & White | Macintosh Classic II | Macintosh Plus 1mb

I WAS the One  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 28, 2008, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by MacPro8Core View Post
I actually paid $250 for my 1.66 Core Duo Mini from a lady in town off of Craigslist. That was an amazing deal!
Damn! thats a deal!

I just want her to get rid of that Blue and White G3 tower, and start with a more newer Mac now. She is having troubles with internet right now and it;s starting feeling slow for her just browsing iPhoto... well.. any good deals found yet?

G5power
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 31, 2008, 05:17 PM

I've seen a few G4 minis for the $300 range on Craigslist.

With the refurb deals on the Apple site starting at just under $500 it would be hard to pay more then that for a G4 version.
Mini 1.66GHz - 2GB RAM - Superdrive - 80GB internal - 500GB external
G5 2.3GHz - 5 GB RAM - ATI 9650
Dell 2405

I WAS the One  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 31, 2008, 10:16 PM

Craiglist? What's that?

jojo gunne
Apr 2, 2008, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by MacPro8Core View Post
Lucky basTARD!!1!11!

LOL!!1!11!

MichiganRich
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 2, 2008, 11:22 PM

The minis are hard to find cheap and used because they're just like every other Mac. What makes it worse is how brilliant they are... therefore more desirable.

Don't get a pre-Intel one, as the G4s are slow in anything - tower, laptop, imac, mini, whatever. I guess if your mom will really not use it, a G4 would be better than nothing. My mom has been LOVING her 1.66 mini that I bought her. I put 2gigs of RAM in it and she is playing Bejeweled, watching youtube stuff, playing online flash games, everything. Try flash video on a G4, you will be disappointed.

Keep an eagle eye on the Apple refurb page and pull the trigger!

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 3, 2008, 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by MichiganRich View Post
The minis are hard to find cheap and used because they're just like every other Mac. What makes it worse is how brilliant they are... therefore more desirable.

Don't get a pre-Intel one, as the G4s are slow in anything - tower, laptop, imac, mini, whatever. I guess if your mom will really not use it, a G4 would be better than nothing. My mom has been LOVING her 1.66 mini that I bought her. I put 2gigs of RAM in it and she is playing Bejeweled, watching youtube stuff, playing online flash games, everything. Try flash video on a G4, you will be disappointed.

Keep an eagle eye on the Apple refurb page and pull the trigger!
If your mother just "plays Bejeweled, watches youtube stuff, and plays online flash games" the G4s will cope just fine.

MichiganRich
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 3, 2008, 06:09 PM

The mini is SOOO much faster than her G4 in the same uses. G4's struggle to keep up with streaming video. Even basic iPhoto stuff is painful with any G4 processor.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 3, 2008, 08:56 PM

I didn't say that intels were not faster than G4s, I said that if all she does is "plays Bejeweled, watches youtube stuff, and plays online flash games" the G4s will do just fine. My G4 has no trouble playing streaming video or using iPhoto - perhaps the machine you are thinking of doesn't have enough RAM?

Forum Links
Forum Rules