Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Got my PE license. Now what?

Got my PE license. Now what?
The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
May 6, 2008, 07:50 AM

So, about a month ago I took the Electrical PE exam (focus on computer engineering), and I feel it was a slam dunk, with the open book policy and 6 minutes per question was more than enough.
A year ago, I worked at a construction-engineering firm, which bore my *** out, but would have considered the PE as a huge plus. I always wanted an interesting job in Computer Engineering. And I got my wish

The question now is: my current position does not require a PE license, and I haven't even heard of a CpE/Electronics/Software/Controls position that requires one, or benefits from a license.

I know there are several PEs here, hopefully with a specialization kinda like mine. I direct your question to you: does the license do any damn good?

design219
Professional Poster
May 6, 2008, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by The Godfather View Post
I know there are several PEs here
For the rest of us, what is a PE?

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
May 6, 2008, 07:57 AM

Are you talking about Photoshop Elements? I don't get it.

There should be a box or menu somewhere where you can enter your license information.

ghporter
Administrator
May 6, 2008, 08:00 AM

Professional Engineer, I think.

Congrats on earning the license, GF! But I think the licensing of engineers other than Civil Engineers is kind of new for everyone, and it'll take some time before the whole industry actually understands and makes use of it. That means you'll probably have to break new ground yourself. Find a place that is interesting and needs a computer engineer, then show them how having a licensed engineer would benefit them. The first thing that comes to mind is embedded systems that somehow involve health and safety...

Good luck with it!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

The Godfather  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 6, 2008, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
Are you talking about Photoshop Elements? I don't get it.

There should be a box or menu somewhere where you can enter your license information.
LOL . PE=professional engineer

mindwaves
May 6, 2008, 10:21 AM

Have you received your results yet? Mine took several months.

I have a PE in EE as well. I have to say that a PE in EE does less than a PE in Civil or Mechanical, but it is by no means useless. PE in EE allows you to run for state utility jobs such as working for the City of Tampa for example. Just because you have a PE, they will be willing to pay more for you, probably about 15% more a year.

Also, utility companies around you will make use of your PE. You local power power delivering facility (Southern California Edison here) will hire PEs as well. Don't limit yourself to just EE companies or electrical companies - water utility companies will often be more than glad to hire you just because you have a PE, even if it is not a PE Civil. Even though you may not make proper use of a PE in those situations, you may be given certain authority over other people since you have a PE.

Your local contracting engineering firm may also have additional opportunities. You also may want to check out Booze Hamilton.

Also, some other non-PE companies may give you higher salary just because you do have a PE even though you may not make use of it there.

You may also want to visit here for job postings. Registering here and along with your state as a registered PE will allow you to be well-known. Your local PE chapter may hold regular meetings and there might be networking opportunities as well. Your state PE organization should also have a magazine for PE people. Although I find mine useless, they are a good read every once in a while. They show interesting PE jobs that you may desire and other information and the state of engineering in your state.

Dork.
Professional Poster
May 6, 2008, 10:21 AM

My understanding is that a PE license helps in fields where personal liability is an issue, because it means that the state has verified your competence, which can be a requirement for getting professional liability insurance. That's one reason why Civil Engineers are licensed: if there's one area where being competent is important, it's designing and building buildings and bridges and stuff.

For most electrical and computer engineering applications outside of health and safety, licensing not as important. Heck, for software, most EULA's specifically waive liability for anything and everything. Still, a PE couldn't hurt, especially if you plan on doing consulting in the future.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
May 6, 2008, 11:12 AM

Hit the track? Pull-ups? Climb the rope ladder?
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
May 6, 2008, 11:36 AM

Now you can play dodgeball without getting sued.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Rumor
May 6, 2008, 02:18 PM

craigslist: tampa bay area classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events

Give it a shot. You would be surprised on some of the really good jobs posted on Craigslist.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 6, 2008, 03:30 PM

Is this in any way related to Jerry's public pee pass?
Obscure Seinfeld joke, anyone?

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
May 6, 2008, 03:44 PM

Congrats, I am getting my EIT in a few weeks (as soon a the University sends the transcripts to the board) and hope to go for my PE when I qualify.

I agree that a PE really only shines in the Power Consulting/Utility area where drawings need to be stamped by a PE, But also in the controls field they also are important, which is the position I am starting. I heard somewhere the difference between a PE and non PE is about a million bucks over your career, but I imagine that is in a field where not having your PE will hold you back from promotions.

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

The Godfather  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 6, 2008, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by mindwaves View Post
Have you received your results yet? Mine took several months.
I haven't actually received it, but I am 100% sure that I passed. I will have the results on mid-July.

MM-o4
Senior User
May 7, 2008, 12:20 AM

yeah I thought being and Engineer kinda implied your professional

SVass
Mac Elite
May 7, 2008, 11:03 AM

As a retired PE who worked in Aerospace forever, I can tell you that it appeared to do very little for my career economically. It is useful only in providing options in case of economic disaster. It did boost my ego which according to those who know me did not require such help. My spouse says that my father and I and most engineers are arrogant b...ds. Of course after 40 years she is entitled to say such things.
sam

The Godfather  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 7, 2008, 11:13 PM

Thanks for the wisdom, SVass. Now I won't pull my hair any longer, trying to figure out what to do with this license.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
May 7, 2008, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
Now you can play dodgeball without getting sued.
Something like that was my thought, too.

zro
Mac Elite
May 8, 2008, 05:08 PM

Get your Home Ec license?

Forum Links
Forum Rules