Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Really basic wireless question...

Really basic wireless question...
njuyhb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 21, 2008, 01:03 PM

Okay, I already have a wired router that connects to my DSL modem that works just fine for getting on the internet. I would like to be able to add wireless networking to my macbook pro. I DON'T want to have to replace my existing router, because that would entail having to reconfigure all the computers that are connected to it. All I want is something that effectively turns my wired connection from my router to my laptop into a wireless connection, without creating new IPs, firewalls, or anything like that. Is there something that can do that? Is the airport express what I want?

I should probably add that the laptop in question is a 3rd generation macbook pro, the first one to have the nvidia graphics. It definitely already has wireless networking (airport) built into it.

Cold Warrior
May 21, 2008, 01:11 PM

Yes, the airport express in bridged mode will do what you want.

njuyhb  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 21, 2008, 01:15 PM

Thanks! Is that the cheapest way to go about this, or is there something else?

Cold Warrior
May 21, 2008, 01:19 PM

You may be able to find another product, maybe something by linksys or dlink, that does the same thing. It may be cheaper than the express.

njuyhb  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 21, 2008, 01:24 PM

Thanks again!

mduell
Posting Junkie
May 21, 2008, 07:26 PM

Pretty much every wifi router has a bridge mode, either through a setting or plugging the uplink into a different port.

The Linksys WRT54G and D-link DI-614 are both options for about $40.

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 22, 2008, 02:45 AM

The AP Express will of course do that just fine in bridge mode. There are cheaper options from other companies too.

If you want:
- simple printer sharing
- AirTunes
- AirPort Utility (an actual Mac app rather than a web interface that looks like it was designed by a 12 year old)
get the AirPort Express for $99.

I you want to go cheap or you don't care about the things above, get some el cheapo router.

Forum Links
Forum Rules