Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > I need a printer...

I need a printer...
SeSawaya
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2008, 02:21 PM

I've been looking for a printer now for a while. Small business use and very light use really. I could USE a fax option for my business but I always make people progress to just using PDFs and email. I should have fax though.

I was looking at the new Kodak printers since they use very cheap ink but the reviews rate it not so good.
Scanning and copying are important to me. I don't print photos so no big deal there.

Would love a laser but color is still to expensive.

What do you use or recommend?

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jun 3, 2008, 04:30 PM

Laser printers will be cheaper in the long run for B&W printing than inkjets. In terms of cost, over time, laser and inkjet are about the same when it comes to color only if you get an inkjet with different tanks for each color. That also assumes you use all the ink from the cartridge. Inkjet printers have a nasty habit now of forcing you to replace the ink cartridge even if it's not empty. Most laser printers will let you continue printing even if it's literally running out of ink.

Laser printers cost more for the ink (toner), but you get more prints out of it. That means less trips to the store. Also, from my experience, laser printers are a lot more durable than inkjet printers.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jun 3, 2008, 04:36 PM

Forgot to mention, that light use sometimes means no use. Inkjets love to clog up when they're not being used, requiring you to clean/prime the print head wasting ink.

You can find a Konica Minolta Magicolor 2480 MF for around $450 some places. It's a FAX/Copier/Scanner color laser printer.

tinkered
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 3, 2008, 05:39 PM

If you really want to use it as a fax/copier I would recommend one with a document feeder. I had a HP Officejet 5610 (see link) until my sister's printer broke and I "lent" it to her. It was great except for the speed. Compared to my single purpose B&W laser, inkjets are glacial.

link: Buy an HP Officejet 5610 All-in-One Printer, Fax, Scanner, Copier (Q7311A#ABA) from HP
17" MBP C2D 2.33/3 GB RAM/500 GB 7200 rpm/Glossy Display|-|
17" iMac CD|-|15" PB G4 1.25 GHz|-|iBook g4 1Ghz|-|Pismo

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jun 3, 2008, 06:07 PM

Tri-color cartridges = BAD.

OreoCookie
Jun 3, 2008, 07:06 PM

I definitely advise against HP, unless you take their top-of-the-line inkjet all-in-one. But even then, the software is still buggy, doesn't adhere to OS X guidelines and causes problems.

If it's for a business, you should get a laser all-in-one. Even if you need to print color, it's still better, if you get a cheap-but-good Canon inkjet printer in addition to your laser all-in-one.

Brother offers some good laser all-in-ones: have a look at the DCP-8060 which is affordable (though not the cheapest), has a good printer, scans directly to pdf (!) and has Postscript. The last two points are very important: if your pinter scans automatically to pdf, you don't have to twiddle with settings and concatenate the pages, this function has saved me hours (on a different all-in-one, though). The last one, Postscript, means that you will find `drivers' for the printer 10 years from now. It cannot fax, but with scan-to-pdf, I don't think you'll really need it these days.

If you want something smaller and cheaper, the MFC-7820N might be worth a look: it also has Postscript, but it cannot scan to pdf. The overall built quality will be worse than on the other model.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 3, 2008, 09:48 PM

Definitely go laser. My Brother HL-2040 has seen me through at least two years of school work, printing uncountable numbers of papers, plus labels and envelopes and all sorts of stuff. I got WAY past the number of pages you're supposed to from the "low capacity" toner cartridge that came with it, too.

If you do only a little faxing, you may be better off with a scanner, printer and modem. Otherwise, either the MFC-7820N or DCP-8060 would be a good choice.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Cold Warrior
Jun 3, 2008, 09:53 PM

If you're considering the Brother 7820N, consider my previous post on that model:
Brother 7820N ADF problem

mkerr64
Senior User
Jun 3, 2008, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by tinkered View Post
If you really want to use it as a fax/copier I would recommend one with a document feeder. I had a HP Officejet 5610 (see link) until my sister's printer broke and I "lent" it to her. It was great except for the speed. Compared to my single purpose B&W laser, inkjets are glacial.

link: Buy an HP Officejet 5610 All-in-One Printer, Fax, Scanner, Copier (Q7311A#ABA) from HP

great product
R.I.P Steve Jobs

SeSawaya  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2008, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by mkerr64 View Post
great product
Wow, I can't believe how cheap it is compared to everything else AND it gets VERY high reviews. I have a simple HP color printer that has done me well the last few years (deskjet 5150) but I didnt think I'd go back to them really.

thanks folks for the comments, certainly some here I'd never seen before!!

OreoCookie
Jun 4, 2008, 05:26 AM

That pretty much looks like the all-in-one my father now has, it's a POS.
When he printed the first time, my brother thought, he had forgotten to remove something when unpacking, it sounds like it's dying. It's slow, it uses tri-color ink tanks and it's shoddily built. I'd stay away from that one.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 4, 2008, 08:22 PM

Monochrome with fax: HP LaserJet 3050

Monochrome with fax, network printing, and a better sheet feeder: HP LaserJet M2727nf

Color with fax, network printing, and a better sheet feeder: HP Color LaserJet 2840

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 4, 2008, 09:34 PM

If you are going to print a lot in B&W, then go with a laser printer. I wouldn't recommend a laser printer if you print a lot in color and want it photo realistic. Inkjet printers for photos is still the best solution if you want a printer on the cheap.

I have a Dell 3100CN laser printer that prints in color. Not the best laser printer for color prints.

I also have a Brother MFC-420CN, which I happen to like. Brother printers aren't that popular for whatever reason. However, the Brother printer I have just works with Macs and PCs. When you plug the printer into the network, it is recognize by MacOS X using the Bonjour protocol. Very simple. The 'N' in 'CN' stands for network compatible, so it has an ethernet port.

Brother MFC-420CN All-In-One Printer

I think you can get the Brother MFC-420CN pretty cheap for under $50 when it's on sale. I paid $79 for mine. Oh, the ink for it is really cheap. It's under $4 at places like:

inkWOW.com | Inkjet and Toner Cartridges
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

Forum Links
Forum Rules