Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Help! Cannot connect to internet through router, works fine through modem

Help! Cannot connect to internet through router, works fine through modem
mike868y
Jun 19, 2008, 07:50 PM

Hey Everyone,
This is not necessarily a mac problem, but a general networking problem. i have a WebStar modem provided by my cable company (Charter) and form there I connect to a Linksys B+G Wireless Router with SpeedBoost. Everything has been working fine for as long as I remember, but today Someone in my neighborhood his one of the power box/transformer things on the ground. This made my neighbors power go haywire, but mine was fine. However, since this happened my networking has stopped working completely. My Dell PC connected through the router via ethernet cannot connect. I can get to the router admin panel by using 192.168.1.1, in addition, my iPod Touch adn Macbook Pro can see the network and connect to it, but are not connected to the internet. However when I run the ethernet cable from the modem directly to the ethernet card in the back of the dell, everything works fine (which is how I am posting this). So, thinking that maybe my router got damaged by something to do with the neighbor hitting the power box, I tried my sisters old Linksys 801.11b wireless router, and it STILL does not work through the router. I am completely dumbfounded by this problem. I upgraded the router firmware to the latest version, and reset it by using the reset feature in the back of the router multiple times to no avail. I am very computer literate, but this problem has me stumped, thanks for any help you can provide.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 19, 2008, 09:38 PM

Looks like something wrong in between the Cable modem and the Linksys route. May be for some oddball reasons the cable modem setting got jacked up.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 19, 2008, 09:42 PM

Or (more likely) the cable modem is expecting to see the hardware address of the computer's wireless card, and refuses to recognize the router.

The way around this is to turn off/unplug both the router and the modem. Let them sit for at least two minutes (actually time this). Now, turn on/plug in the modem and let it go through its startup processes for at least a full (timed) minute. Next, turn on/plug in the router and let it do its thing, again for a timed full minute. Betcha that the router now gets an IP from the modem and you can connect through it. Many cable providers have their modems set up this way, so it's not an oddity, but it isn't something they actually tell you about. Sneaky of them...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

mike868y  (op)
Jun 20, 2008, 08:56 PM

My mom called charter cable today while I was away at work, and they told her to do the same unplug, etc., etc., procedure and it worked, so its all good for now. Thanks for the help. The good news is that it drove me to upgrade the firmware in my router so I am now using WPA2 as opposed to the easily hackable WEP.

Forum Links
Forum Rules