Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Nokia N78: Anyone use one with their Mac?

Nokia N78: Anyone use one with their Mac?
Dark Sailor
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 27, 2008, 12:08 PM

I've been holding out for the past year on the iPhone waiting for the upgrade, and am kinda unmoved by the new one. So...I'm thinking about getting a N78 (great camera, GPS + Nokia's generally good design...AND I wouldn't have to go with AT&T as a carrier) and just use a 32GB iPod Touch for music, video, mobile web, etc.

At any rate, my question is: does anyone here use (or have you used) a N78 with your Mac? If so, how has it gone? Frustrating? Decent? Really smooth?

Can you see any pros or cons with the device arrangement listed above that I might be missing? I think that I'm gonna miss the visual voicemail (which is a huge selling point for me BTW), mobile e-mail, the smooth link-up between the phone and the computer, and typing text messages on a numeric keypad is a hassle, but...anything else?

Also, Salling Clicker apparently isn't supported on the N78 (according to Salling's website). Any info on this? And what about using a program like MissingSync. Is it necessary?

Anyway, I'd appreciate hearing any thoughts, comments, suggestions, experiences, etc. on the N78 + Mac. Thanks in advance.

p.s. I did a search already and didn't find any threads on the topic so, if I missed something, just point me there.

eyadams
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 27, 2008, 12:26 PM

I have the N75, which is a little different, but will provide a data point for you. Nokia released a beta software package to integrate the phone with the Mac, and it's been a mixed bag. I can use standard iSync for contacts and calender events. But the integration with iTunes and iPhoto never worked particularly well and stopped working altogether after a while. I never bothered to figure out why, as I have an iPod for music and if I need to grab photos I use the standard Bluetooth file browser. Which works great.

I think the problems are minor. Overall the N75 is a fine phone. I wouldn't hesitate to buy an N78. But check Nokia's web site for their Mac support pack - they will surely have a list of supported phones. And it might be out of beta by now.

Forum Links
Forum Rules