Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Help running Half Life: Source on Macbook

Help running Half Life: Source on Macbook
zack13532
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 12, 2008, 07:55 PM

I recently purchased Half Life: Source for my Steam account on my friends computer (an XP laptop). With OS X 10.5.4 I downloaded steam and installed it using CrossOver games. It works quite well and I was able to download Half Life: Source and Half Life Deathmatch: Source onto my computer, but when I run it, I get a white screen. It plays the intro video music, but with no picture. Soon after that it usually crashes. Are there any executable commands I should run half life with? I've seen Half Life 2 running on a macbook, so I assume that Half Life: Source should run. I'm using a Macbook 2 Ghz 1GB RAM and an Intel GMA 950 with 64mb vid RAM (this may be the problem). Any ideas?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jul 13, 2008, 01:29 PM

What lead you to expect HL:S was supported by CrossOver? It's not on their compatibility list.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 15, 2008, 11:41 AM

I'm pretty confused about what is and what isn't supported on Crossover as well. Especially when you see this :

Supported Games

CrossOver Games is capable of running a range of Windows games. To see if your favorite game is supported, please check our CrossOver Compatibility Center.

CodeWeavers officially supports the following games:

* World of Warcraft
* EVE Online
* Guild Wars
* Prey
* Steam Games, including:
o Half-Life 2
o Team Fortress 2
o Counterstrike
o Counterstrike: Source
o Civilization IV
o Peggle Extreme
o Call of Duty 2
o Max Payne 2
o Grand Theft Auto 2

From here

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 15, 2008, 02:03 PM

Click on the "And more" link there and you can browse the list of what games have been tested for compatibility and how compatible they've been found to be. (Of course, it's entirely possible for a program to work with Crossover even though nobody's tested that specific one.) It looks like HL:S hasn't been looked at before.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 16, 2008, 05:52 PM

I tried the Crossover Games demo with a purchased DVD of Team Fortress 2. After spending nearly two hours installing and then updating the game I had the pleasure of a black screen. Quite frankly, if a game hasn't been released for OSX, then I'm not even going to try and run it using Crossover. WhyTF do I need to install from Steam when I have the bloody DVD anyway?

WOMBAT = waste of money brains and time.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jul 16, 2008, 06:31 PM

My brother bought a game on Steam a couple of years ago. He wanted to reinstall it but couldn't remember his password. According to Steam, there is no record of his email address, even though he still has the emailed confirmation of purchase sent to the address in question. As many have said in the past and will likely say in the future, Steam sucks.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

OnTheKeys
Forum Regular
Jul 21, 2008, 12:21 PM

what? Steam is the best thing to happen to online gaming in a long time. I've used since its launch, and yes, it was a little hard to get used to, but I have had no problems with them at all.

Forum Links
Forum Rules