Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Ideas for iTunes linked sound on outside Patio & inside Hot Tub Gazebo

Ideas for iTunes linked sound on outside Patio & inside Hot Tub Gazebo
JeremyS
Senior User
Jul 23, 2008, 02:23 AM

Hey, just thought I would ask for some ideas on how to go about setting up sound to my outside Patio and inside my hot tub gazebo.

I have been thinking about this for a while and there seems to be so many ways to approach this. Most people say use a ghetto blaster but that is way to simple for me.

I want iTunes piped out to those 2 locations via remote control.

So I thought perhaps airport express would be the answer, so I could wirelessly feed some sort of speaker/amp system be it a ghetto blaster or some amplified speakers, but then how do I remote control iTunes? I don't want to have to buy a RF remote.

I thought of using the iPhone as the remote via the Remote App and that would be very cool but only on the patio, inside the Hot Tub Gazebo, that is another story! iPhone near water doesn't sound like a great idea!

So maybe some sort of waterproof RF remote.

Perhaps there is some other solution completely different someone have thought of that I haven't thought of yet, just want to get some ideas...

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 23, 2008, 02:32 AM

Speakers for your iPhone/iPod? Something like the iPod HiFi.

JeremyS  (op)
Senior User
Jul 23, 2008, 02:33 AM

I was thinking maybe a cool way would be to use my ipod touch in a otterbox case (waterproof) running Remote App, that would give awesome control!! I could let it float in the hot tub!! Just hope my Wi-fi will reach out there, gotta test that out.

I don't want a boring solution, I want a techie solution

JeremyS  (op)
Senior User
Jul 23, 2008, 02:35 AM

Simon, Yeah, just pop it in the dock or whatever but then how would I remotely control the ipod from say the hot tub, I would have the speakers mounted on the walls so when I am in the hot tub I would need remote control of the ipod.

JeremyS  (op)
Senior User
Jul 23, 2008, 02:43 AM

Now for the speakers, hot tub would be easy as if it was a ghetto blaster connected to airport express then I would just detach the speakers and mount them on the walls closer to the hot tub, it's dark in there so wires would really be seen. How would I do this on the patio in a clean way? Could have wires running from the ghetto blaster up to some house mounted speakers, maybe some wireless speakers? I dunno...

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 23, 2008, 02:47 AM

You could get an iPod remote. But it looks like you want a geekier solution than just docking an iPod.

JeremyS  (op)
Senior User
Jul 23, 2008, 02:51 AM

Yeah I kinda do, a visual remote would be awesome especially using the new Remote app, that app is so cool!!

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jul 23, 2008, 02:53 AM

Get a couple of those waterproof iPod players with external speakers. Get an iPod in each, set atop a floating raft or doughnut. Get mucho applause from partygoers.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

JeremyS  (op)
Senior User
Jul 23, 2008, 02:59 AM

Yeah but they don't sound very good at least in my opinion.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 23, 2008, 08:55 AM

http://www.eoswireless.com/lp/slab/layout4/

meant for this sort of thing.

Or you could use the KeySpan visual remote to control iTunes.
http://keyspan.com/products/tvu200c/

I may even know someone who'll sell the keyspan to you. pm me.

Forum Links
Forum Rules