Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Power-iBook!!!

Power-iBook!!!
Taloston Man
Forum Regular
Aug 9, 2001, 09:51 PM

Wow! I've been messing around on this thing fulltime now (Dual USB, DVD, 20 gigs, 128 RAM) using OSX almost 100% exclusively, and I have to say that despite the "low power" of this machine, it's handled pretty much everything I've thrown at it with extreme panache!
I mean, opening a 12 megabyte Photoshop file in Classic while running IE, iTunes, Mail, ICQ, Preview, and Quicktime Player without managing to have any hideously adverse side effects on the BASE REQUIREMENT of RAM for this operating system with a 66 MHz bus and a non-Altivec sub-Dual 800 processor is incredible.
I love this machine, I had my doubts about Classic, but after trying it out today, I have tremendous faith!
I shudder to think of what this will be like when I pop in another 256 megs of RAM at the end of the summer and install 10.1!!!
And with an Airport Network (which I can't even come CLOSE to being able to afford now), this laptop would rule the world!
I can't stop congratulating Apple on this damn thing!
I've only owned three Macs ever, so making this the most formidable one, ever, would be considered a bit of a stretch.
And after this gorgeous (even if it is small, it's PERFECT) LCD, going back to my iMac's CRT is just damn depressing.
But I'd be hard pressed to think that 5 or 8 years down the road, I won't still be impressed with this thing!
yet another pitiful round of applause emits itself from my hands...
Trevor Haldenby
www.ExposedBrain.com/trevor
MacBook 2.0 GHz / 2 gigs RAM | 60GB vidiPod, Shuffle

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 10, 2001, 12:58 AM

Trust me. It'll be a clunker in 2, let alone five years.

But while it's new, congratulations. I saw one at the store and damn, that thing was quick. The screen and overall package is very nice. For the price, it's a very competitive buy.

Have fun.

CubieDubbie
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 10, 2001, 01:01 AM

Well I love mine too. I just put a new 12*8*32 cdrw and a new canoscan 1220U scanner on mine to make it more useful. I to use OSX almost exclusively now. But, sure as a business I still use OS9.1. There are too many business oriented apps that will not run in OS or not made for OSX yet, though a lot of them will run under the Classic mode. You may a tad disappointed in maxing out the computers ram as far as performance is concerned, it will not improve it that much if any. I maxed out mine when I bought it. But, I have since read many people saying they don't see that much improvement in the machines performance in going from say 256 or so to 640 meg's. I know on my Cube which has 1 gig. of ram, it did not enhance it's performance any, except that I can run more programs if I wish or assign more memory under OS9.0, which is what I use on the Cube. Oddly enough on the Cube when you go to 1 gig. or above, apparently you can no longer use virtual memory. Not that I want to or anything but, it just seemed a little strange that it now automatically cuts off that option. Apparently it is true that the Mac's like the Cube and the Tower's definitely have a memory limitation of 1.5 gig's of ram.

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Aug 10, 2001, 11:55 AM

( Last edited by daimoni; Apr 22, 2004 at 12:43 AM. )

Taloston Man  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 10, 2001, 03:42 PM

Well, my iMac has a 400 MHz processor, which I'm assuming just about evens it out with respects to the iBook's slower system bus.
So let's say that due to the iBook being 100 MHz faster, the speed of the two is relatively equal.
There's 64 more megs of RAM in the iMac, and in some tasks (notably window resizing, and some app launches) there is a definite speed advantage.
So I guess even adding that much RAM can make a slight difference...
What I'm really looking forward to when adding 256 to the iBook is the ability to run biggish Classic Apps AND big Cocoa/Carbon apps simultaneously.
And when 10.1 comes out, there will be no looking back.
Trevor Haldenby
www.ExposedBrain.com/trevor
MacBook 2.0 GHz / 2 gigs RAM | 60GB vidiPod, Shuffle

MaxMac
Forum Regular
Aug 10, 2001, 06:35 PM

Mine rocks! I am using a wireless network at home and work, a Firewire HDD (15gb), a Handspring Visor, a USB digital camera, and a firewire DV Camera! I use Toast 5 Titanium, DAVE, iTunes, iMovie, Office 2001, and more! I am using the Combo 10gb, with 384mb of RAM. What a workhorse!
I love deadlines. They make a whooshing sound as they pass by.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 10, 2001, 11:40 PM

Well, considering RAM is so cheap (512 megabytes of PC-133 desktop SDRAM for $32), not upgrading your RAM isn't worth it.

E-mail me if you want me to find you a good deal on RAM, guys. I'll be willing to help. After all, I do try to help DealNN as much as possible.

[email protected]

WTWolfe
Aug 10, 2001, 11:54 PM

Originally posted by seanyepez:
<STRONG>Well, considering RAM is so cheap (512 megabytes of PC-133 desktop SDRAM for $32), not upgrading your RAM isn't worth it.

E-mail me if you want me to find you a good deal on RAM, guys. I'll be willing to help. After all, I do try to help DealNN as much as possible.

[email protected] </STRONG>
512mb for $32??? Please tell me where!!!! PLEASE!!!
� G4 350 (AGP) 640MB OS 9.2.2
� iBook SE 466 Graphite 192MB OS X v10.1.4 (5Q125)

jokell82
Professional Poster
Aug 11, 2001, 12:06 AM

Originally posted by WTWolfe:
<STRONG>

512mb for $32??? Please tell me where!!!! PLEASE!!! </STRONG>
That's PC133, not the PC100 SODIMM needed by the iBook.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 11, 2001, 12:08 AM

I know, but if I can find 512 megabytes of SDRAM for the desktop Macs, I think I can find a deal for notebook Macs too.

I found 256 megabytes of PC-133 RAM for notebooks (SO-DIMM) manufactured by NEC (I haven't had any problems with their RAM) for $47. E-mail me.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Aug 11, 2001, 01:28 AM

Originally posted by seanyepez:
<STRONG>I know, but if I can find 512 megabytes of SDRAM for the desktop Macs, I think I can find a deal for notebook Macs too.

I found 256 megabytes of PC-133 RAM for notebooks (SO-DIMM) manufactured by NEC (I haven't had any problems with their RAM) for $47. E-mail me.</STRONG>
No offense, but doing a simple search on pricewatch isn't that hard. And good luck trying to get a 512mb SODIMM at a good price (i.e. under $100). If you find it, let me know, but pricewatch doesn't have it.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

Dr Evil
Forum Regular
Aug 11, 2001, 01:58 AM

"low power"?? Try dropping 200mhz off your new iBook. I too use X exclusively although it chugs pretty bad sometimes with the 128mb installed right now, but 256mb more is on the way! OS X is still very usable even on an rev 2 iBook.

Dr Evil
Quicksilver G4 867mhz 384mb/60gig
iBook 300 320mb/20gig
Athlon Xp 1700+(1.47GHz) 512mb ddr/26gig, GeForce 4 TI 4200/128mb
http://mayodreams.dyndns.org

Forum Links
Forum Rules