Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iMovie not recognizing my Canon ZR60

iMovie not recognizing my Canon ZR60
Zoom
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2008, 02:45 PM

I've got iMovie HD (6.0.3) and iMovie (7.1.4) and neither of them will recognize my Canon ZR60 camcorder.

My iMac has a single FW400 and a single FW800 port. The FW800 port has a LaCie HD on it for Time Machine. I plugged the zr60 into the FW400 port with iMovie HD running. Shortly after, the LaCie drive unmounted itself. I then tried various combinations of turning the camera to "VCR" mode and plugging/unplugging it and powering it on/off, no dice. I then pulled the FW800 plug, restarted, and tried again. I couldn't get iMovie HD or iMovie (7) to recognize it.

I've searched for answers, and found two things in this this thread. One said something about the date. As it turns out, my battery was dead, so I set the date and time. No dice. And the other one talked about Firewire bus conflicts, which is why I disconnected the HD. But nothing seems to work.

Any other ideas? I don't use this camera much anymore, but I have some tapes I need to rip still, and I want to export an iMovie project to a DV tape for archiving.

I remember having trouble with pass-through mode a while back, too, before I upgraded to this iMac. That's probably another issue and it's not terribly important to me anymore, but it's maybe another data point.
Late 2012 27" iMac 3.4GHz Intel Core i7, 24GB RAM, 3TB Fusion drive

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 7, 2008, 05:03 PM

Does System Profiler see the camcorder when it's connected?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Zoom  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2008, 06:31 PM

Hmmm... yes it does.... NOW. Something changed. I swear I went through all the permutations before and it didn't work. Now it does. This time I unmounted the LaCie drive first, then unplugged it. Then I turned on the camera and plugged it in. I had to relaunch System Profiler because apparently it doesn't update in real time. And it saw the camera, so I tried iMovie HD... and it recognized it. I guess maybe the only different thing I did was to have the camera plugged in and running before I launched iMovie HD.... but I doubt that was the magic.

Well, while it's working, I'm exporting a massive project to tape.

Zoom  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2008, 10:49 PM

Well, it acts like it's working, but the export to camcorder has no video, only audio. I'll start a new thread for that problem.

I'll come back here if I figure out the connection problem or find more clues. For now, though, it's at least recognized.

Forum Links
Forum Rules