Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Best finance and/or budget apps out there?

Best finance and/or budget apps out there?
itpromike
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 23, 2008, 07:53 PM

Ok so I came across www.mint.com as well as www.yodlee.com and it got me wondering what other apps out there are like these... I've been looking for an app to handle my finances and help me with budgeting etc... that has a nice interface and is easy to use. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm only looking for ones that tie into my bankaccount online banking features so I can get my real account info without having to input the debits and deposits myself... So what do you guys think are the best ones?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 24, 2008, 12:39 AM

Mint beats Yodlee, hands down.

Yodlee actually supplies the underlying "engines" that power Mint. But in terms of UI and eye-candy, Mint is just way better.

-t

64stang06
Mac Elite
Dec 24, 2008, 01:57 AM

You could try Quicken online. It's free now, and in my experience at least, works without a problem for online account access.
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 24, 2008, 02:33 AM

Quicken requires much more work in assigning transactions and balancing out accounts. It works ok, but is higher maintenance.

-t

itpromike  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 24, 2008, 12:42 PM

I was actually looking for an actual application rather than just a website site... I know there is iBank but are there any others?

64stang06
Mac Elite
Dec 24, 2008, 01:48 PM

MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 24, 2008, 02:40 PM

Intuit is supposedly working on a whole new Quicken for Mac that will be radically different from all past Quicken for Mac.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...this_fall.html

Rumors say it's due early in 2009. It's probably worth while waiting for, since the current Quicken for Mac version is from 2007.

-t

LeeG
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 24, 2008, 05:13 PM

iPhone 3G 16Gb
24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo iMac, 4GB/320GB/256MB
12" AlBook 1Ghz/768Mb/80Gb/Combo/AX

itpromike  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 25, 2008, 12:28 AM

Does anyone know if any of these products allow you to do a 'wish list' sort of thing where you can input what you want to buy or an amount you want to save and a date you want to save it by and it tells you how much you should put away each month?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 25, 2008, 02:07 AM

Not in Quicken 2007.

-t

itpromike  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 25, 2008, 02:41 PM

I could have swore I read that Mint.com had this feature but I've registered and can't seem to find it... I wonder if it was yodlee.com that I read had this feature? Could have also been iBank or iFinance... hmm... I know I read about this feature with some finance app or website but I can't for the life of me find it anymore...

Proudest Monkey
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 30, 2008, 02:11 PM

I've been wrestling with the idea of purchasing something or trying a website. I just signed up for Mint.com and imported my accounts and investments and so far so good. Pretty seamless. It's possible it has a feature I want that I have yet to discover yet but I like it so far. It's free anyways. Worth a try.
MacBook 13.3" C2D 2.0ghz 2gb/160gb

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Dec 30, 2008, 04:40 PM

The Quicken Financial Life beta is out now. It's got a long way to go before it's really useful. It already is several months behind schedule and not expected to be released until summer '09 now.

I used to be a full time Quicken user but have since switched to iBank 3. It takes a little getting used to if you're used to Quicken for Mac, but once you do, it's quite nice. I tried mint.com but it wasn't for me. I feel like I get more out of iBank than mint.com.
Vandelay Industries

Vistaclara
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 18, 2009, 01:26 PM

I have been a Quicken user on PC for many years. When I went to Mac Intel, I ran Quicken Windows on Parallels. But recently I decided to stop firing up Windows every time I wanted to do finances. So I bought iBank. This is a terrific product. It doesn't have all of the features of Quicken, but the user interface is far superior. Transaction entry and reconciliation are excellent. The reconciliation function is much better than Quicken. It needs better reporting and some other improvements. It's not perfect software, but it is very, very good. I am very happy I made the switch. And from what I have heard of Quicken on Mac, iBank must run circles around it.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 19, 2009, 12:50 PM

Mint.com is pretty cool. Very nice for budgeting.

But I'm going to delete my account. Don't feel 100% confident with all my banking info in one place online.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

Forum Links
Forum Rules