Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Perfect sleeve for iBook

Perfect sleeve for iBook
Ryu
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 24, 2001, 07:26 AM

I am impressed. Can anyone bring this thing from Japan? It is something that I dream of every night.

At least for those who live in Japan, I leave the link below. http://www.avenue-d.com/html/maccompatible/1153.html

Gametes
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2001, 01:53 PM

Wow that really is beautiful. Almost makes me wish I had an iceBook.
you are not your signature

pat++
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2001, 03:38 PM

Originally posted by Ryu:
<STRONG>I am impressed. Can anyone bring this thing from Japan? It is something that I dream of every night.

At least for those who live in Japan, I leave the link below. http://www.avenue-d.com/html/maccompatible/1153.html</STRONG>
I guess the zip would scratch the iceBook... not so good

<Japanese Bostonian>
Aug 24, 2001, 05:10 PM

Originally posted by pat++:
<STRONG>

I guess the zip would scratch the iceBook... not so good </STRONG>
That's not true. They are saying in Japanese "There is a kind of a buffer with a 5mm thickness along the zip so that the zip and iBook do not directly touch each other."
A Japanese Bostonian

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 24, 2001, 08:44 PM

Nice. Since I am moving to Japan on Monday (!) I may just pick one of these up. It's a lot like the powerbook bag I have for my pismo (also Japanese).

<CousinAvi>
Aug 25, 2001, 02:25 AM

Man, thats a cool sleeve. Kinda looks like a binder though... (Which is sometimes a good thing?) Anyone know a website that imports that kind of stuff? I saw a few Japanese sleeves but no Americanized ones. Our versions are always alot bigger/clunkier.

hsl
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 25, 2001, 03:10 AM

I've translated the Site with the altavistatranslations site http://world.altavista.com/ and this is what it says:

Avenue D original new model iBook private inner case "

Model " Model D1 " the new model iBook which is announced before (the iBook Dual USB) for the sake of was designed & was developed and. Because as for the material it is used for also the wet suit being light, the strong neo plain material, as for the color

at the time of new model opening and closing the line of the zipper which is used has extended to the side inner part, like the picture with respect to the left just the front opening, also it is possible to remove with the ??, and, if it is use of brief such as check of the mail which does not become matter of concern of heat of the iBook itself, like the picture with respect to the right opening the zipper to the side inner part, " Model

*MaC$people 2001.8.1 publication it received the review article of this product in " the long-term use report Load Test of the topic product "!
*MaC$fan 2001.9.1 publication it received the review article of this product in " PowerBook armament forefront bag special edition "!

New model iBook private inner case " Model D1 "
Corresponding type: New model iBook (iBook Dual USB)
Material : Neo plain material & YKK zipper
* There is a stock. When it is order of the generation pulling & card liquidation utilization, it ships into one Japan and China (day celebration you exclude rapidly)!
XXYEN 4800

In protection of the *iBook POWER Adapter, when
the id-ee * 10001, the cart does not operate normally, we receive even with other method. As for details this way
* This product the iBook is useful to protecting from the scratch and the soiling et cetera, it does not withstand the strong impact where, but falling and the like is included. Because guarantee such as disappearance and damage of the data is not possible, beforehand acknowledgement.
* This product the direct sale with avenue D (only the direct sales) with has become handling.
15,4" MBP (late 2008), 2,53Ghz, 4GB RAM, 256GB SSD | 27" ACD | 11" MBA, 1.6Ghz, 4GB RAM , 128GB | 16GB iPhone4 | 32GB iPad

The biggest fan of JoliOriginals MacBook, iPad and iPhone Sleeves!

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 25, 2001, 11:14 AM

This is why translators like me will always have jobs

<Japanese Bostonian>
Aug 25, 2001, 04:03 PM

Exactly!

<TomR>
Aug 25, 2001, 08:20 PM

Man that's NICE! Just what I've been looking for. Haven't checked the site yet, how much is it and can we in the U.S. buy it? Or something LIKE it?

[ 08-27-2001: Message edited by: Gametes ]

saltines17
Senior User
Aug 25, 2001, 08:31 PM

well while we're on the topic of sleeves, has anyone here seen/tried the iBook leather sleeves from www.sfbags.com?

It looks REALLY nice imo...

jace
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 25, 2001, 09:24 PM

in a previous thread about ibook sleeves, I tried to describe what I use. It is a cover for a single subject school notebook, made of neoprene with a nylon zipper. I described it as "unorthodox" because the cover was designed for use with a notebook, not a notebook computer. It fit the ibook so perfectly, I used it anyway. Some people thought I was talking about a three-ring binder, but what I mean is this thing here. If you look at some school supply centers, you will see exactly what I mean It is made out of the same material as this one is, but looks like it fits the ibook a little better. The only differences between what I use and this one are the color, the nike "swoosh" on mine, the cardboard "liner" sewn in that gives mine shape, support and protection (almost like a hardcover book) and the price(3 bucks) .
I also use it just like the photo shows- I unzip, open (leaving the cover on) and watch movies. the zipper does not touch the book, so no scratches. worth looking if you don't want to import one of these, or if price makes a big difference.

[ 08-25-2001: Message edited by: jace ]

iMan
Forum Regular
Aug 25, 2001, 09:44 PM

Hello Everybody,

I would highly recommend the sleeve from Water Field design / http://www.sfbags.com !! I have the vertical nylon sleeve for my new iBook and I love it
Nick Fleming
[email protected]

Ti PowerBook - 1000/512/60
iPod 30 GB

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 25, 2001, 10:14 PM

This one is kind of similar, and it apparently fits the ibook well.
http://www.marware.com/SF2COLORS.html

beverson
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 26, 2001, 12:10 AM

Originally posted by iMan:
<STRONG>Hello Everybody,

I would highly recommend the sleeve from Water Field design / http://www.sfbags.com !! I have the vertical nylon sleeve for my new iBook and I love it </STRONG>
Yeah, these sleeves are great. I have the horizontal one, and it's perfect for what I need (I already had a messenger-type bag but it wouldn't protect the iBook enough on its own).

The guy that filled my order there even sent me a personal e-mail when it shipped...not some automatic e-mail bidness. Yeah, not a real huge deal, but a very nice touch.

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Aug 26, 2001, 03:52 AM

( Last edited by daimoni; Apr 22, 2004 at 12:53 AM. )

jace
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 26, 2001, 10:02 AM

ok... by "ghetto-assed sleeves", I am assuming you meant my notebook cover. I will tell you why I "mess around"
When I bought this thing, I wanted a cover. Not a sleeve. I don't want an envelope that I have to pull the i book out of, I want something I can open like a book and use. Couldn't find one. I also wanted protection minimal though it may be. Most of the sleeves I see are "soft side" with no impact protection whatsoever. Couldn't find that, either.
I also want one that is small enough to fit in a backpack. Sure these are available, but they don't open like a book, and aren't "hardcover".
my ghetto cover couldn't fit more perfectly if it was designed for the ibook. I wanted to be on the downlow, so I wanted something that people wouldn't immediately recognize as a laptop. I am one of the few people who does NOT enjoy "showing off" my Ibook. I like to use it. and this thing looks like a school notebook. I want something like the case logic covers that hold 100 or so cd's.
so Daimoni, tell you what; if you can find me a cover, not a sleeve that fits my needs, maybe I'll get rid of my "ghetto ass cover", but don't assume that just because I'm using something for other than it's intended purpose, it's because I'm cheap or ghetto. sure it was only three dollars. Would you have felt better if I had had the thing custom designed and paid a few hundred for it?
and dawg, before you start calling people ghetto, I'd edit that line about free airport access out of my profile...

[ 08-26-2001: Message edited by: jace ]

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Aug 27, 2001, 12:30 PM

( Last edited by daimoni; Apr 22, 2004 at 12:55 AM. )

MacBook
Forum Regular
Aug 28, 2001, 05:31 AM

I am interested in the cover you bought for $3, and I don't mind my iBook being anonymous. Could you tell me a little more about the cover? Is there a tag in it that gives the manufacturer and model number or other such information? At which store did you buy it -- Office Depot? Staples? Office Max?

Thanks.

my ghetto cover couldn't fit more perfectly if it was designed for the ibook. I wanted to be on the downlow, so I wanted something that people wouldn't immediately recognize as a laptop. I am one of the few people who does NOT enjoy "showing off" my Ibook. I like to use it. and this thing looks like a school notebook. I want something like the case logic covers that hold 100 or so cd's.
so Daimoni, tell you what; if you can find me a cover, not a sleeve that fits my needs, maybe I'll get rid of my "ghetto ass cover", but don't assume that just because I'm using something for other than it's intended purpose, it's because I'm cheap or ghetto. sure it was only three dollars. Would you have felt better if I had had the thing custom designed and paid a few hundred for it?
and dawg, before you start calling people ghetto, I'd edit that line about free airport access out of my profile...

[ 08-26-2001: Message edited by: jace ][/QB][/QUOTE]

GORDYmac
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2001, 09:23 AM

What about ventilation? I also think that a hollowed out notebook cover fits perfectly, but I wondered if it blocked the cooling system enough to be a concern. Do your fans operate much more by operating within a cover.

FYI my iBook arrives tomorrow!!!

jace
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 28, 2001, 09:33 AM

Daimoni: I thought this thread was about sleeves too, until I saw the picture in the very first post. It looks like a cover to me, so I thought I'd clear something up from a previous thread. It's all good, but I'm afraid it's too late :My "ibook dust, dirt and minimal impact protector"
is now simply known as the ghetto cover.

macbook; I bought the cover I use at Target. It is nothing more than a single subject notebook cover made of neoprene. I've described it to death, so I won't bother here, but I imagine if you go to any school supply center, Staples or the like, they would have these things. Most of the ones I have seen are made by Mead, and are the Five star first gear line of products. My particular product just happens to be from the Nike line
and for the record, If I had seen that sleeve/cover up there first, I probably would have bought it and tried to modify it to have stiffer sides...I know....so ghetto..
Gordymac: My guess is that heat IS an issue, but when i'm on the go I am usually using no more than appleworks or the dvd player. from what I understand, heat dissipates through the keyboard as well as from other places, so I don't worry about it much.(If I should, someone please tell me!) I do take the cover off for any prolonged or processor intensive use, or if I need to plug it into a wall outlet.

[ 08-28-2001: Message edited by: jace ]

mkuehn
Aug 28, 2001, 11:11 AM

Originally posted by jace:
<STRONG>I bought the cover I use at Target. It is nothing more than a single subject notebook cover made of neoprene...if you go to any school supply center, Staples or the like, they would have these things. Most of the ones I have seen are made by Mead, and are the Five star first gear line of products. My particular product just happens to be from the Nike line</STRONG>
Dude, I want to "go ghetto".

Please, can you provide a Mead/Nike model number, UPC code or Target's DPCI (their own item number, preferred) for this sleeve? I went there last night, but they didn't have anything that looked like what you describe. And I so want one...right now, I'm using the white plastic-y sleeve the iBook came wrapped and sealed in, and it's not very classy or protective.

I'm sure others would like to have this detail info, too.

I did see some binders that looked like the iBook would fit into them, and they were made out of a firmer plastic/neoprene combo, but you would have to somehow rip out the three ring binder piece and I think the iBook would bounce around in there after that was all taken care of. So, I figured that wasn't what you were talking about, plus they were $13.

Please hurry; I'm sure I'm not the only one who's waiting to get some ghetto in their life.

Thanks,
Matthew

You can never have too many Macs.

acidchicken
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 28, 2001, 01:30 PM

i use a T-shirt. it fits my ibook really well. i just slide it over my book and wrap it twice and tie it with the sleeves. throw it in my bag. and i'm out the door!

it's really discreet. if you use a dirty T-shirt then nobody will wanna touch your ibook. nobody will come near that thing! just a little advice.
WWF rules

<it's jace>
Aug 28, 2001, 04:45 PM

ok, I don't think mine is anything special, but...
mead corp. item number 33504 (L)
I think any SINGLE SUBJECT wirebound notebook folio will do.
mead has some on their website, as well as target.

mkuehn
Aug 29, 2001, 12:40 PM

Originally posted by &lt;it's jace&gt;:
<STRONG>mead corp. item number 33504 (L)
mead has some on their website, as well as target.</STRONG>
OK, so I can't find it on either site. Color me inept.
Will someone please supply a link?

Neither Target nor Office Max nor Office Depot around here seem to have this item. Why is it that all the cool stuff I read about on the Internet is never available here?

BTW, if you're in the Twin Cities area and know of a store where they have these, won't you please let me know?

Thanks for all the hassle, everyone.
Matthew

You can never have too many Macs.

Forum Links
Forum Rules