Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMac Applecare transfer

iMac Applecare transfer
bokehphotographer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 13, 2009, 05:42 PM

I was curious if anyone knew what the process was to transfer Applecare to a new person. Do you need to have the seller transfer? Does the buyer contact Applecare to transfer?

TIA

frdmfghtr
Senior User
Feb 14, 2009, 12:50 PM

The seller contacts AppleCare to start the transfer. The details for the transfer are in the AppleCare agreement.

bokehphotographer  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 16, 2009, 05:15 PM

Thanks, I kind of thought that would be the process. I didn't have a copy of the AppleCare agreement - though I am sure it could be found pretty easily.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 16, 2009, 06:39 PM

Huh?

I thought AppleCare was tied to the serial number of the machine, and it's pretty much irrelevant who brings it in for repairs?

bokehphotographer  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 16, 2009, 06:42 PM

I do believe it is tied to the serial number. However, I would imagine that the owner information is also tied to that. So if someone brought it in for repair, wouldn't they already know where to ship it to?

Maybe not, maybe it is as easy as just updating the shipping information when you bring it in...?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 17, 2009, 02:29 AM

AppleCare repairs on computers don't generally include door-to-door shipping.

frdmfghtr
Senior User
Feb 17, 2009, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Huh?

I thought AppleCare was tied to the serial number of the machine, and it's pretty much irrelevant who brings it in for repairs?
It is...when I was going to transfer the AppleCare on a MacBook I sold on eBay, I initially couldn't find the receipt. A Genius at my local Apple Store told me that the coverage is tied to the machine and that the info would be updated if the machine needed covered service. Still, I felt better about making the transfer ahead of time and eventually found the receipt.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Feb 18, 2009, 08:33 AM

I don't believe that is correct, otherwise why would apple have a procedure in place to transfer the warranty if its machine based and not owner based. I've sold many macs (ebay & craigslist) in all cases I transfered the warranty because I didn't want the new owner to run into issues down the road.

When you register the computer/warranty your personal information is tied to the applecare warranty. I'd hate to see problems arise if the machine had to go in for a warranty repair only to have apple state that the machine/warranty/owner information does not match with their records so the applecare warranty is not in affect.
~Mike

ChrisF
Senior User
Feb 18, 2009, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
AppleCare repairs on computers don't generally include door-to-door shipping.
Indeed, in the US, Apple portables are picked up by overnight courier and returned the same way with no charge under Applecare.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Feb 18, 2009, 09:53 AM

Only in Amaraca.™

bokehphotographer  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 19, 2009, 12:58 AM

Maybe it is possible that the transfer is able to take place without the previous owner. However, that does not seem like a good thing - in the case of a stolen computer. Though possibly alerting Apple about a stolen computer would be a good idea. And trying to get a stolen computer covered under AppleCare would probably be pretty silly.

At any rate, I have found the answer:

http://images.apple.com/legal/applec...Plan_NA_en.pdf

page 5, section 6:
6. Transfer of Plan
You may transfer this Plan to a new owner of the Covered Equipment by sending, faxing or e-
mailing notice of transfer to Apple Inc., ATTN: Agreement Administration, MS: 217AC, 2511 Laguna
Blvd, Elk Grove, CA 95758, U.S., fax number 916-399-7337 or [email protected],
respectively. You must provide the Plan Agreement Number, the serial numbers of the Covered
Equipment being transferred, proof of purchase of the Plan, and the name, address, telephone
number and email address of the new owner.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 19, 2009, 01:46 AM

I repair macs for a living, I don't work for apple. We have NO way of checking ownership of a mac. All we can do is look up the serial number and determine warranty status. If it says covered, it's covered.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Feb 19, 2009, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by Maflynn View Post
I don't believe that is correct, otherwise why would apple have a procedure in place to transfer the warranty if its machine based and not owner based. I've sold many macs (ebay & craigslist) in all cases I transfered the warranty because I didn't want the new owner to run into issues down the road.

When you register the computer/warranty your personal information is tied to the applecare warranty. I'd hate to see problems arise if the machine had to go in for a warranty repair only to have apple state that the machine/warranty/owner information does not match with their records so the applecare warranty is not in affect.
I worked for this... large "fruit company" with mall stores, and dealt with this non-issue many times.

AppleCare coverage goes by serial number, period. Updating the AppleCare customer data is purely a formality, but it has NO bearing on coverage.

bokehphotographer  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 19, 2009, 10:45 AM

So in other words, it just makes you feel better. Transfer, don't transfer, it is really what makes the buyer and seller feel comfortable. Some people won't care, and to some it would be a bug deal.

bokehphotographer  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 19, 2009, 10:48 AM

So a slighlty different question then, can you find out how long the AppleCare warranty has left somewhere online? I tried to find a way through the Apple store support page.

Thanks for all the input.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Feb 19, 2009, 11:11 AM

this link should give you how long your applecare warranty is good through. Provided the warranty was transferred to you. If you go along with what others stated and don't transfer the warranty then there's no way for you to find out (from apple.com).
~Mike

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Feb 25, 2009, 08:27 AM

It is patently incorrect that the AppleCare must be registered to you in order to look up warranty status.

Apple has for years now provided this link on the Support site: https://selfsolve.apple.com/GetWarranty.do (Note that the "country" it asks for is not the country where the product was purchased, but rather the country in which you wish to obtain service.) (This link is located at support.apple.com -> Online Service Assistant -> Check warranty status.)

You can check the warranty/AppleCare status for any serialized Apple product, based on serial number alone. It accesses the same database that AppleCare reps and Geniuses use, so it's the same dates they see.

Note that the date Apple knows about is when it was sold from Apple to another party. So if you bought from Apple directly, your warranty date is accurate. On the other hand, if you bought from a dealer (let's say Best Buy), Apple only know the date the dealer bought it from them, not the date you bought it from the dealer. So if you bought from anywhere other than Apple directly, be sure to have a receipt showing the date of purchase. AppleCare or the Genius will then honor the full warranty and adjust the AppleCare database if necessary.
( Last edited by tooki; Feb 25, 2009 at 08:33 AM. )

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 25, 2009, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Maflynn View Post
this link should give you how long your applecare warranty is good through. Provided the warranty was transferred to you. If you go along with what others stated and don't transfer the warranty then there's no way for you to find out (from apple.com).
Wrong, wrong, WRONG!

Forum Links
Forum Rules