Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > ECC necessary for this G5?

ECC necessary for this G5?
David Lee
Forum Regular
Mar 22, 2009, 06:51 AM

Does anyone know if ECC memory is really necessary or advantageous for the late (last) 2005 PPC G5 2.0 GHz model? Mactracker says the type of memory required is PC2-4200 ECC but the system profiler for my G5 says I have 4 256KB chips of "Type: DDR2 SDRAM, Speed: PC2-4200U-444 RAM." No mention of ECC. Pricing the various size chips at OWC shows lower prices for the non ECC chips, for both 1GB and 2 GB chips. Any help appreciated, I just inherited this machine and it needs some RAM and probably another HD, as the stock WD 160GB disk in there now is certainly not very fast (at least it feels slower than the Hitachi 400GB parallel ATA in my former Quicksilver connected to an Acard 133 PCI adapter).
Thanks for the expertise in advance.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 22, 2009, 02:14 PM

Your PowerMac supports but does not require ECC. If the modules already in there are not ECC (system profiler should mention it, or just pull one out) then you may as well buy non-ECC.

David Lee  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 22, 2009, 03:30 PM

Thanks mduell, that is what I suspected because OWC sells both types for this machine, but wasn't sure. Much obliged.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 22, 2009, 06:59 PM

I'd suggest buying from Crucial instead. It's about the same price and it avoids that slimy feeling you get when you shop at OWC.

David Lee  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 22, 2009, 08:29 PM

Thanks for the input. However, I must ask what prompts you to describe OWC in association with that "slimy" feeling. I have purchased several items from OWC and even with the fact that I am in Japan, with the long range shipping, their service and prices have been nothing but first rate. I can only judge by my own experience of course, but that has been nothing but "clean and right" so far.
Have you had bad experiences with them?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 22, 2009, 08:49 PM

I get that a place like OWC needs to exist for G4 upgrades and Mac video cards that Apple doesn't deem worthy to sell in their own store, but when they tag 30% markups on completely standard items like hard drives it's apparent they're just around to scam the Mac community. I haven't had any poor experiences with them because I'd never consider buying from them.

reader50
Administrator
Mar 24, 2009, 02:42 PM

You can use ECC and non-ECC RAM at the same time - just make sure the pairs match. When I ran my Quad up to 14 GB, I used ECC because I leave my system up for weeks at a time, sleeping instead of rebooting. Also, ECC has really come down at Newegg.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 24, 2009, 08:12 PM

You're right, page 51:
"Do not mix ECC and NECC memory modules within a pair."

David Lee  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 26, 2009, 03:37 AM

Thanks everyone for the advice. I just purchased 4 GB (2GBx2, non ECC) and with the existing 1GB I now have 5GB. As I have never had more than 1.5GB in an old Quicksilver tower this feels like overkill. Anyway, your advice was much appreciated.

shdwghst457
Sep 15, 2009, 02:19 AM

I on the other hand do NOT recommend Crucial, or Kingston ValueRAM, or any other (what is essentially) knock-off RAM. Yes, Crucial is made by Micron (which is one of the 4 best in my opinion) but it is Micron that did not pass the tests to be fully qualified as good RAM.

Stick with the good stuff: Samsung, Hynix, Micron, and Nanya. I've also never had a problem with OCZ.

Also, I agree that ECC and NECC should not be mixed not only within a pair, but within a computer. go all or none.

ChrisF
Senior User
Sep 15, 2009, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by shdwghst457 View Post
I on the other hand do NOT recommend Crucial, or Kingston ValueRAM, or any other (what is essentially) knock-off RAM. Yes, Crucial is made by Micron (which is one of the 4 best in my opinion) but it is Micron that did not pass the tests to be fully qualified as good RAM.
Not sure where you've heard this about Crucial. Crucial is simply the retail distributor for Micron RAM.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 15, 2009, 07:52 AM

As long as you stay with name brand RAM you should be fine (unless you need large heat skin RAM for the Mac Pros) - I've never heard that knock against Crucial or Kingston (although I think Crucial is overpriced).

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

cgc
Professional Poster
Sep 15, 2009, 11:08 AM

Geez, not another "OWC Memory Sucks" thread. Their memory is fine...shop around and pick the the best price. When I bought memory for my MacPro 3 years ago OWC had the lowest prices...the memory has never had any problems or been hotter than the memory Apple installed (according to iStat). Just don't buy "Fred's custom memory" or from some unknown source.

Forum Links
Forum Rules