Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Cool and quiet HD for Powermac G5

Cool and quiet HD for Powermac G5
David Lee
Forum Regular
Mar 26, 2009, 03:34 AM

I have always used Hitachi-IBM HDs up to date (ATA) but now I am looking to buy a HD for my "new" PM G5 (serial ATA) and would like to keep the noise level as far down as possible and heat as low as possible too.
Any suggestions based on your experience?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 26, 2009, 11:33 AM

WD's slow "Green" drives are lower power/lower heat.

Tarkio
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 26, 2009, 07:47 PM

I was looking for the same thing. I went with the Velociraptor 300GB 10k RPM for my new (2009) 8-core MP not only because of it being screaming fast (I'll use it as a boot drive) but because it's very quiet, cool and has a 5-year warranty. It also draws less power, close to green drive power levels.

Of course it is only 300GB and costs about $199 (NewEgg). It will be fine for my needs as my boot drive won't max out over 100GB. I may order a second one for my audio/sample libraries that are maxing out at about 110GB. Keeping the drives half empty should ensure continued optimum performance.

yoketee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 2, 2009, 07:35 AM

clean up your G5, especially the fan. that will help reduce the noise too.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 3, 2009, 02:55 AM

WD Green is what you should look at for low power/heat/noise.

David Lee  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 3, 2009, 04:26 PM

Thanks everybody for the advice. My local Apple product store had a relocation sale with great prices on Hitachi HDs so I bought a pair of 500GB SATA drives (Yeh I know they are not famous for low noise or heat either). But they are Much more quiet and have a very low level of vibration compared with the factory installed WD 160 HD! So this is enough.
Thanks again.

Forum Links
Forum Rules