Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Macbook: update soon?

Macbook: update soon?
darkmatter
Forum Regular
Mar 31, 2009, 01:49 PM

Hello

Macbooks had being updated some time between April and May most of the last years. What do you think, will there be an Macbook update during the following weeks? If yes, what could be updated (Bigger Harddisk, optional non glossy display, faster CPU, more memory, price reduction)?

Best Regards

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Mar 31, 2009, 02:45 PM

If anything, a small speed bump, but all in all, I don't think we'll see any update for a little while.
~Mike

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 31, 2009, 07:25 PM

Doubtful until well into the second half of the year.

More disk, faster CPU, and higher memory ceiling is a given.
Non-glossy display? Price reduction?

DCJ001
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 31, 2009, 09:19 PM

FireWire 800 by the end of 2009.

It should happen in order to keep in line with the advancement of technology and to stay ahead of the so-called competition.

You heard it here first.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 1, 2009, 04:14 AM

The MacBook Pro will go Nehalem/i7/Clarksfield in November.

The MacBook will be updated alongside the MBP (and stay Penryn). Just im time for holiday buying season.

There will be no FW800 on the UB MB. That's a done deal.

Regarding a white MB sticking around I'm not certain who to believe actually. In any event I do hope the backlit KB will trickle down to the $1299 UB MB. But I have this nasty feeling Apple won't do it because of upsell.

Brien
Professional Poster
Apr 1, 2009, 04:55 AM

I think that by this September/October the white Macbook will either be discontinued entirely, or (hopefully) go the way of the plastic iMac and go edu-only, perhaps at a lower pricepoint.

Then Apple could drop the $1299 UB MacBook down to $999 like it should've been in the first place.

P
Apr 1, 2009, 05:15 AM

Generally, the first update after a major refresh takes a little longer than regular. I wonder if it will really be as long November, though, but then there's not a lot for Apple to add, is there? MB will get a clockspeed bump - the 2.0 GHz chip in Apple's low-end MB doesn't even exist on the latest Intel price list as of the latest update - the backlit keyboard made standard and probably an HD boost. MBP will get Clarksfield when it gets here, but will there be an update before that? Sure there's space for a clockspeed bump, but it's going to be a very minor update if there is one.

Regular MB might creep down in price, but not all the way to $999 in one go.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Apr 1, 2009, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by DCJ001 View Post
denial is not just a river in egypt.

You can kiss FW good by on the firewire, like we did with the floppy, ADB and SCSI. Apple never dropped an interface standard, AFAIK, and then reversed course and re-added it to the next update.

The furor has seemingly died down on the FireWire and people, Apple have moved on.
~Mike

ChrisF
Senior User
Apr 1, 2009, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by Maflynn View Post
Apple never dropped an interface standard, AFAIK, and then reversed course and re-added it to the next update.
Actually, they did. Firewire 800 wasn't on the first Macbook Pros, but it was added back on the second version of the machines.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Apr 1, 2009, 08:39 AM

Not to split hairs, it had a FW port, just not FW800, where as the MB has not FW port at all and given apple's explanation, not needed for consumer level computers, it seems unlikely that you'll see it reintroduced. Just my $.02, I've been wrong before but the odds of it doesn't look good.
~Mike

P
Apr 1, 2009, 03:19 PM

It's gone because they're out of space. If they can squeeze it in, they might, but it's a priority just over Classic support in Snow Leopard.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 1, 2009, 06:47 PM

There's and awful lot of space around the audio connectors compared to the size of the jack.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 2, 2009, 03:29 AM

Not on the MLB there ain't. The external part of the jack you see isn't the limiting factor.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 3, 2009, 04:53 PM

I wouldn't put it past Apple to get a custom (or niche) thinner mount for the audio jacks.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 4, 2009, 01:43 AM

Dream on. FW on the MB is history.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 4, 2009, 02:30 PM

I'm the first one to piss on the grave of Firewire, but I still expect Apple to bring it back. If they really thought it was time to move on they'd dump it on the mini.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 5, 2009, 02:48 AM

Not really. Apple didn't drop FW on the MB because they're on a crusade to exterminate it. They didn't inlude it on the Mm because they're on a crusade to spread it.

On the Mm no sacrifice was required for FW so you put it there. On the MB there was, so you don't. There's no secret FW master plan. FW on the MB is history.
( Last edited by Simon; Apr 5, 2009 at 03:07 AM. )

DCJ001
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 6, 2009, 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Not really. Apple didn't drop FW on the MB because they're on a crusade to exterminate it. They didn't inlude it on the Mm because they're on a crusade to spread it.

On the Mm no sacrifice was required for FW so you put it there. On the MB there was, so you don't. There's no secret FW master plan. FW on the MB is history.
Actually, I'm sure that the plan to omit FW from the base MacBook was to encourage those who really wanted it to upgrade to the MacBook Pro to get it. But I'm still sure that Apple will add FW 800 to the base MacBook when they feel that the time is right because of the reasons mentioned in my first post in this thread.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 6, 2009, 02:17 AM

Apple made quite clear they don't believe consumers need FW anymore. And the MB is their consumer notebook. So it's fairly obvious they won't drop something they consider relevant (like USB) to make room for FW on the MB.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Apr 6, 2009, 07:07 AM

Actually, I'm sure that the plan to omit FW from the base MacBook was to encourage those who really wanted it to upgrade to the MacBook Pro to get it. But I'm still sure that Apple will add FW 800 to the base MacBook when they feel that the time is right because of the reasons mentioned in my first post in this thread.
Agreed and also to differentiate the MacBook and MacBook Pro a little more. Right now there's so little differences between the two. Having FW in the MBP gives people who need the port, a natural upgrade path, regardless if they want to upgrade to a MBP they can.

While the MB is cramped, when apple set out to redesign the MB, I'm sure they could have fit it in there somewhere with out affecting the size terribly. True the current design precludes the port but back when they were just designing the MB, if they thought it was important enough they could have found room for it.
~Mike

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 6, 2009, 07:44 AM

But that's exactly the point. They don't think it's important enough. Not then, not now. Apple will not make the MB any larger or drop other ports to make room for a port they no longer consider necessary (on the MB that is).

lysolman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 6, 2009, 09:32 AM

You can kiss FW good by on the firewire, like we did with the floppy, ADB and SCSI. Apple never dropped an interface standard, AFAIK, and then reversed course and re-added it to the next update.

The furor has seemingly died down on the FireWire and people, Apple have moved on.
I remember a time when Apple decided to take audio-in capabilities off of their portables, because all of that was going to USB and Firewire.

Yea, they put it back on.

DCJ001
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 8, 2009, 01:58 PM

It should happen in order to keep in line with the advancement of technology and to stay ahead of the so-called competition.

You heard it here first.
There will be no FW800 on the UB MB. That's a done deal.

You can kiss FW good by on the firewire, like we did with the floppy, ADB and SCSI.

Not to split hairs, it had a FW port, just not FW800, where as the MB has not FW port at all and given apple's explanation, not needed for consumer level computers, it seems unlikely that you'll see it reintroduced. Just my $.02, I've been wrong before but the odds of it doesn't look good.
Originally Posted by P View Post
It's gone because they're out of space. If they can squeeze it in, they might, but it's a priority just over Classic support in Snow Leopard.
Dream on. FW on the MB is history.
There's no secret FW master plan. FW on the MB is history.
Apple made quite clear they don't believe consumers need FW anymore. And the MB is their consumer notebook. So it's fairly obvious they won't drop something they consider relevant (like USB) to make room for FW on the MB.

And here we are, over six months before the end of the year:

"The 13-inch MacBook Pro also gets a FireWire 800 port, and a backlit keyboard standard. With prices starting at $1,199, it’s less expensive than the MacBook model it replaces."

It's somewhat satisfying to be right when many disagree.
( Last edited by DCJ001; Jun 8, 2009 at 04:16 PM. )

P
Jun 9, 2009, 07:03 AM

And here we are, over six months before the end of the year:

"The 13-inch MacBook Pro also gets a FireWire 800 port, and a backlit keyboard standard. With prices starting at $1,199, it’s less expensive than the MacBook model it replaces."

It's somewhat satisfying to be right when many disagree.
Note that I said they'd might add it back if they could squeeze it in. They could, by making the battery non-removable.

In general, my prediction from above was:

Generally, the first update after a major refresh takes a little longer than regular. I wonder if it will really be as long November, though, but then there's not a lot for Apple to add, is there? MB will get a clockspeed bump - the 2.0 GHz chip in Apple's low-end MB doesn't even exist on the latest Intel price list as of the latest update - the backlit keyboard made standard and probably an HD boost. MBP will get Clarksfield when it gets here, but will there be an update before that? Sure there's space for a clockspeed bump, but it's going to be a very minor update if there is one.

Regular MB might creep down in price, but not all the way to $999 in one go.
Except for ditching the EC slot and replacing it with an SD slot, I think I pretty much nailed it.

DCJ001
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 9, 2009, 03:30 PM

Note that I said they'd might add it back if they could squeeze it in. They could, by making the battery non-removable.
You're assuming that it was necessary to make the battery non-removable in order for the FW800 port to be introduced. It may have been helpful but, just because the non-removable battery and FW800 were introduced to the 13" MacBook Pro at the same time, there doesn't need to be a requirement that one feature relies on the other.

The new 13" MacBook Pro is an awesome machine at a great price.

P
Jun 10, 2009, 09:29 AM

You're right it might have been the removal of the EC slot that did it.

Whatever: It required an internal redesign to fit it. Apple did one - likely to get more battery life - and used it to squeeze in a Firewire port. They wouldn't have made the redesign just for the Firewire port.

Forum Links
Forum Rules