Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > What version of Linux on PPC?

What version of Linux on PPC?
64stang06
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2009, 08:02 PM

Hey all.

I have an old iBook G3 (600MHz/384MB RAM/40GB HD/8MB VRAM) onto which I would like to install Linux. I've searched the web a bit today and last night and couldn't find much about Linux distros for the PPC that would work on this machine. Ubuntu has a PPC release, the last official one of 6.06 LTS. However, I'd like something a bit more modern if possible.

It's only going to be an email/web browsing/light office work machine so any ideas will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Edit: forgot to mention this does have the original Airport card in it, so anything that will work with that will be a huge plus.
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

cgc
Professional Poster
Apr 9, 2009, 11:51 PM

I checked the two lightweight versions of Linux: Puppy Linux and Damn Small Linux and didn't see any mention of PPC support. PenguinPPC mentions a community-supported PPC Ubuntu (I have an old v5.04 version of PPC Ubuntu somewhere laying around). LowEndMac may be of some help though I didn't surf the site (I've referred friends who bought Macs for their kids to this site for help).

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Apr 10, 2009, 12:21 AM

Wasn't Yellow Dog Linux the one most people used back in the day?

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Cold Warrior
Apr 10, 2009, 12:48 AM

yeah, I used it on my Wallstreet 292 MHz system back in 2000 for a while.

64stang06  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2009, 01:47 PM

I've looked at Yellow Dog Linux and of course, the latest release (6.1) doesn't support this machine. However, I've tried earlier versions and wasn't too impressed.

I know there's also a community supported version of Ubuntu, and I've seen a beta of 9.04 for PPC, but this machine barely meets the RAM requirements (384MB minimum, which I have).

I'm actually taking a look at Fedora 10, which has low requirements and is a fairly recent release.

Thanks for the help though!
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

Forum Links
Forum Rules