Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > giving my iphone to someone else in family plan?

giving my iphone to someone else in family plan?
Foxdog175
Forum Regular
Jun 9, 2009, 11:52 AM

When I purchased my 3G, I gave my first gen iphone to someone else in my family plan (consisting of 2 lines/phones). They upgraded from a crappy $10 plan with their current cheap phone to the first gen iPhone - but the rep at AT&T only added the iPhone data package. I was originally paying $50 + the iPhone data package for the first gen. Now, she's paying $10 + the data package. Did AT&T make a mistake? It's been going on like this for a year...this seemingly discounted price.

Why would she pay $40 less than I did when I had the phone? Is there some kind of discount tied in with the family plan?

If no mistake was made and she really is supposed to pay only $30 per month for her first gen iPhone vs my $80 per month for my 3G, can I give her my current 3G and have her still pay the same price she pays now? I'd like to pick up the 3GS and pass my 3G over, but not for an increased $40 per month. Sorry for any confusion - if someone can understand my situation, can they answer 1) if AT&T made a billing mistake and 2) if they didn't, what her new price would be with a 3G per month. I'd appreciate any knowledge on the subject.

Foxdog175  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 17, 2009, 03:51 PM

Bump. Any knowledge on how upgrades like this work would be appreciated.

kman42
Professional Poster
Jun 17, 2009, 04:02 PM

my iphone plan was grandfathered in from my 1G to my 2G. Not sure what will happen this time.

Foxdog175  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 17, 2009, 04:27 PM

what do you mean by grandfathered?

kman42
Professional Poster
Jun 17, 2009, 04:41 PM

The price went up from the 1st gen phone to the 3G. When I upgraded, I still had the original price plan.

note: in my above post, 1G referred to my 1st gen phone (actually a 2G network) and 2G referred to the 2nd gen phone (the 3G network). I'll refer to them as 1st gen and 3G since that is what apple calls them

Foxdog175  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 17, 2009, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by kman42 View Post
The price went up from the 1st gen phone to the 3G. When I upgraded, I still had the original price plan.
I'm confused. The price went up or the price plan stayed the same? If it went up, was it a huge increase? I'm afraid if I have her upgrade from her 1st to my 3g, she's going to get nailed with the $80 bill I get vs the $30 she pays now.

kman42
Professional Poster
Jun 17, 2009, 05:36 PM

The price was higher on the 3G compared to the 1st gen, but mine stayed the same when I upgraded. ATT told me it was their policy not to increase the price.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2009, 05:40 PM

The price was higher on the 3G compared to the 1st gen, but mine stayed the same when I upgraded. ATT told me it was their policy not to increase the price.
Whoa, really? That's super sweet! I wonder what the chances are they'd do that for me, an EDGE iPhone user, now. I'm on the fence about getting a 3G S, and the biggest strike against it is the extra $15/month for the plan (I know, it's only $10 different for the base plan, but I have to stick some texts on there).

Foxdog175  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 17, 2009, 06:58 PM

wow. So, are you saying that if she upgraded her 1st gen to the 3g, she wouldn't pay a penny more for her plan?

kman42
Professional Poster
Jun 17, 2009, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Foxdog175 View Post
wow. So, are you saying that if she upgraded her 1st gen to the 3g, she wouldn't pay a penny more for her plan?
I don't know. All I know is that I don't.

Forum Links
Forum Rules