Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Palin stepping down

Palin stepping down (Page 2)
Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 5, 2009, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
She's not being candid about her reason to step down. So she shouldn't complain when everyone publicly muses about her motives. But she'll complain anyway.

She probably wants the free time to write her book, give speeches for big money, and improve her image enough to run for the White House. Of course, quitting hurts her image, as does quitting without a clear reason. So she's just digging her own grave.
That's the conventional wisdom, as Bill Press was expressing on CNN the afternoon of her press conference. (he hopes) IMHO there are those who see her as the next Ronald Reagan, including Michael Reagan. (Michael Reagan : Welcome Back, Dad - Townhall.com) This is what fuels the effort to destroy her image.

As to the "next shoe dropping" the FBI has ended speculation on that.
Sarah Palin not under FBI investigation, agency spokesman says - Los Angeles Times
Sarah Palin not under FBI investigation, agency spokesman says
The former GOP vice presidential candidate's surprise resignation as Alaska governor had set off speculation, including rumors of a pending federal corruption probe or charges.

By Josh Meyer
The Los Angeles Times
July 5, 2009

Reporting from Washington -- A day after Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin resigned, a federal official in her home state dismissed one potential explanation for her sudden and unexpected resignation: a rumored FBI investigation into the former Wasilla mayor on public corruption charges.

Despite rumors of a looming controversy after the Republican governor's surprise announcement Friday that she would leave office this month, some of them published in the blogosphere, the FBI's Alaska spokesman said the bureau had no investigation into Palin for her activities as governor, as mayor or in any other capacity.

"There is absolutely no truth to those rumors that we're investigating her or getting ready to indict her," Special Agent Eric Gonzalez said in a phone interview Saturday. "It's just not true." He added that there was "no wiggle room" in his comments for any kind of inquiry.

The FBI has been active in mounting corruption investigations in Alaska, some to see whether local, state and federal lawmakers illegally received favors, money or free construction work from businesses or people seeking favors.
45/47

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 5, 2009, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
That's the conventional wisdom, as Bill Press was expressing on CNN the afternoon of her press conference. (he hopes) IMHO there are those who see her as the next Ronald Reagan, including Michael Reagan. (Michael Reagan : Welcome Back, Dad - Townhall.com) This is what fuels the effort to destroy her image.
Blech, anybody who is touted as the "next Ronald Reagan" should be treated like a used car salesman. She's not the next Reagan. She's closer to being the next Barack Obama if Obama were a raging dick.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 5, 2009, 05:16 PM

As to the "next shoe dropping" the FBI has ended speculation on that.
Yes, of course. The FBI is the only investigative police force in the entire USA.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 5, 2009, 06:08 PM

Excellent article on Palin's quitting.

http://www.slate.com/id/2222230/

OreoCookie
Jul 5, 2009, 07:01 PM

That's the conventional wisdom, as Bill Press was expressing on CNN the afternoon of her press conference. (he hopes) IMHO there are those who see her as the next Ronald Reagan, including Michael Reagan.
Next Ronald Reagan? Are we even talking about the same person?
Have you listened to her resignation speech? It's one of the few when you don't have a clue as to why she's actually resigning. She still changes trains of thought in mid-sentence. To compare her with Reagan is, well, a tad unfair to Reagan.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 5, 2009, 08:22 PM

IMHO there are those who see her as the next Ronald Reagan, including Michael Reagan. (Michael Reagan : Welcome Back, Dad - Townhall.com) This is what fuels the effort to destroy her image.
The next Ronald Reagan? That is one of the funniest things I've read in years. Ronald Reagan was a master snake oil salesman, convincing people that his tax cuts were good for them, while raiding Social Security to pay for them. That there are still people who believe they'll get something for nothing shows how gullible they are. Palin couldn't come up with a scheme like that if someone whispered it in her ear.

Comedy gold.

kobi
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 5, 2009, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by OldManMac View Post
The next Ronald Reagan? That is one of the funniest things I've read in years. Ronald Reagan was a master snake oil salesman, convincing people that his tax cuts were good for them, while raiding Social Security to pay for them. That there are still people who believe they'll get something for nothing shows how gullible they are. Palin couldn't come up with a scheme like that if someone whispered it in her ear.

Comedy gold.
The Right is full of comedy gold lately. I like Shaddim's claim that McCain would win over Obama if the election was held tomorrow. With the Right's base M.I.A who would be doing the voting?

The sad thing is that they still idolize Reagan, hell he's the Right's Elvis. When in reality he destroyed this country worse than both George Bush's.
The Religious Right is neither.

placebo1969
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 5, 2009, 09:29 PM

Why all the anger and hate toward Sarah Palin?

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jul 5, 2009, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by kobi View Post
The Right is full of comedy gold lately. I like Shaddim's claim that McCain would win over Obama if the election was held tomorrow. With the Right's base M.I.A who would be doing the voting?

The sad thing is that they still idolize Reagan, hell he's the Right's Elvis. When in reality he destroyed this country worse than both George Bush's.
Obama's an idiot (like Palin), and his constituency is starting to realize that he has no answers, only more sermons.

Damn, Reagan should have killed off SS while he had the chance, that's the biggest fault I can find in the man.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 5, 2009, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by placebo1969 View Post
Did you listen to, or watch her resignation speech? That should give you a clue.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 5, 2009, 10:16 PM

Why the assumption that someone expressing their opinion does so out of anger and hate?

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 5, 2009, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
She still changes trains of thought in mid-sentence.

Reagan would do this when he was off-book.

placebo1969
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 5, 2009, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by AKcrab View Post
Did you listen to, or watch her resignation speech? That should give you a clue.
I read the transcript, but haven't see or heard it yet. That doesn't really answer my question. I've seen and heard several speeches of her. Again, not sure of the anger/hate.

If you (plural) are merely basing your opinion on speechmaking abilities, then that seems like a pretty narrow metric. Personally, I felt President Clinton could give some great speeches and came across as "feeling you pain." That doesn't make him a great President.

Back to Palin. There are many people who were and are happy with her message. I just don't understand the vitriol toward her.

placebo1969
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 5, 2009, 11:37 PM

Excellent article on Palin's quitting.

http://www.slate.com/id/2222230/
Is it an excellent article because it's something you agree with? We can post several "excellent" articles about Palin's resignation.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jul 6, 2009, 12:45 AM

Apparently, she's now suing websites for speculating about the reasons for her resignation.
http://twitter.com/AKGOVSarahPalin
(pdf)http://tinyurl.com/mmhv4u

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 6, 2009, 01:09 AM

If she could have put together a coherent explanation when she announced it, we wouldn't have to be speculating.

I just want to try and clarify one major "mistruth" that is being put out there..
From Sarah's 'retirement' speech:
Every one – all 15 of the ethics complaints have been dismissed. We’ve won! But it hasn't been cheap - the State has wasted THOUSANDS of hours of YOUR time and shelled out some two million of YOUR dollars to respond to “opposition research” – that’s money NOT going to fund teachers or troopers – or safer roads.
Ethics investigations cost state $296,000

edit: I have known Shannyn Moore for many years. She only reported on things she had heard/read. She never stated anything as fact, and "housegate" has been around for more than six months.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 6, 2009, 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
Apparently, she's now suing websites for speculating about the reasons for her resignation.
No, she's not. Maybe you should read the PDF before posting.

-t

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 6, 2009, 02:18 AM

I just want to try and clarify one major "mistruth" that is being put out there..
From Sarah's 'retirement' speech:

Ethics investigations cost state $296,000
Maybe now she's including the clothes she bought when she was doing shopping to destress.
Chuck
___

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 6, 2009, 02:35 AM

My biggest problem with Reagan is that his legacy seems to have been inspiring the Republican Party to spend all its time arguing over who is the "next Reagan" rather than spending time looking at the state of the country and making things better — you know, like Reagan did.
Chuck
___

kobi
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 6, 2009, 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
Obama's an idiot (like Palin), and his constituency is starting to realize that he has no answers, only more sermons.

Damn, Reagan should have killed off SS while he had the chance, that's the biggest fault I can find in the man.
Really? Obama's poll #'s are 60% approval rating. So I guess those sermon's are working. It's going to be a long 8 years for you.

If all you can fault Reagan on was not killing off social security, suggest you read a book or two about Ronnie's policies, as it's obvious you haven't a clue. I don't have the time or the energy to point out all of Reagan's failures (as it would take hours) but these are off the top of my head:

Iran-Contra
Deregulation of everything and anything (which lead to our economic problems now)
Economic policies that destroyed the middle class; they were so bad we gave them names EG: Reaganomics, the Reagan Recession
Billions in Tax Cuts for the wealthy
Tax Increases for the poor; in fact we paid more taxes under Reagan than we ever have
Causing the Savings and Loan crisis
Doubling the national debt

It's a good thing the Democrats regained control of the Senate in 86', or Reagan would have led us into a Depression greater than the one that Bush left us in.

Do you need a history lesson or do you only listen to Fox News for your fallacies?

OreoCookie
Jul 6, 2009, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Reagan would do this when he was off-book.
I'm not a fan of Reagan either (if you have a look at the interview I've linked to, he remains eloquent even if he doesn't know what to say), but his rhetoric capabilities are far better than Palin's.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 6, 2009, 07:01 AM

Is it an excellent article because it's something you agree with? We can post several "excellent" articles about Palin's resignation.
Of course I agree with it. Putting that aside, however, if one were honest with one's self, there's no way this woman should be viewed as national leadership material.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jul 6, 2009, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
No, she's not. Maybe you should read the PDF before posting.

-t
from the pdf

To the extent several websites, most notably liberal Alaska blogger Shannyn Moore, are now claiming as “fact” that Governor Palin resigned because she is “under federal investigation” for embezzlement or other criminal wrongdoing, we will be exploring legal options this week to address such defamation. This is to provide notice to Ms. Moore, and those who re-publish the defamation, such as Huffington Post, MSNBC, the New York Times and The Washington Post, that the Palins will not allow them to propagate defamatory material without answering to this in a court of law. The Alaska Constitution protects the right of free speech, while simultaneously holding those “responsible for the abuse of that right.” Alaska Constitution Art. I, Sec. 5. http://ltgov.state.ak.us/constitution.php?section=1. These falsehoods abuse the right to free speech; continuing to publish these falsehoods of criminal activity is reckless, done without any regard for the truth, and is actionable.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 6, 2009, 10:52 AM

The next FDR? That is one of the funniest things I've read in years. David Axelrod and Rahm Emmanuel are master snake oil salesmen, convincing people that raising taxes is god for them, while selling us out to China at the same time (like Bill Clinton did). That there are still people who believe they'll get something for nothing shows how gullible they are(see how Obama got Elected). Obama couldn't come up with a scheme like that if someone whispered it in his ear.

Comedy gold.
fixed
45/47

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 6, 2009, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
from the pdf
Methinks you don't understand that there is a world of difference between " suing websites" and "exploring legal options".

Minor detail?

-t

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 6, 2009, 01:17 PM

"Fair or unfair, I think she does herself a disservice to even mention it...When I hear a statement like that coming from a woman candidate with any kind of perceived whine about that excess criticism or, you know, maybe a sharper microscope put on her, I think, man, that doesn't do us any good. Women in politics, women in general wanting to progress this country. I don't think it's, it bodes well for her -- a statement like that...It bothers me a little bit hearing her bring that attention to herself on that level."

-- Sarah Palin on Hilary Clinton

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 6, 2009, 01:27 PM

Does anyone know what statement of Clinton's Palin is referring to?

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 6, 2009, 01:29 PM

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 6, 2009, 05:01 PM

Thank you, but that doesn't answer the question really.

However, I find what Palin says after that quote to be more damning.

"...people can just accept she is going to be under that sharper microscope. So be it. Work harder. Prove yourself to an even greater degree..."
( Last edited by subego; Jul 6, 2009 at 07:41 PM. )

andi*pandi
Jul 6, 2009, 05:02 PM

The irony and cluephones are both ringing off the hook.

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 6, 2009, 10:27 PM

Quitter.

stay classy sarah

the next reagan? can sarah act with a chimp? The right loves an actor.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 6, 2009, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by ironknee View Post
The right loves an actor.
And the dems love their clowns and comedians.

-t

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 6, 2009, 11:22 PM

Notice that the people who have nothing better to do than rip on Sarah Palin -- they can't defend any of Obama's policy decisions. Theye continue to push the Palin distraction so as to to hide the fact that Obama's policies are failing in monumental fashion.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 6, 2009, 11:26 PM

Notice that the headlines relating to the lives and careers of individual politicians trigger an endless chain reaction of snippy partisan comments that are completely and utterly pointless.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 7, 2009, 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
Notice that the people who have nothing better to do than rip on Sarah Palin -- they can't defend any of Obama's policy decisions. Theye continue to push the Palin distraction so as to to hide the fact that Obama's policies are failing in monumental fashion.
She was one of the crappiest governors my state has ever seen.

I'm pretty sure it's my place, perhaps even my right, to "rip on Sarah Palin". Why do I have to defend Obama to rip on Palin?

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 7, 2009, 01:34 AM

Seems like every thread turns into a "Obama Sucks" thread.

Can't we just have one Sarah Palin sucks thread?

It's been ages since we have a Sarah Palin thread.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

kobi
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 7, 2009, 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
And the dems love their clowns and comedians.

-t
When constantly cleaning up after the Right/GOP/Whigs mess, you have to have a sense of humor.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jul 7, 2009, 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by kobi View Post
Really? Obama's poll #'s are 60% approval rating. So I guess those sermon's are working. It's going to be a long 8 years for you.
I'm really not concerned about the approval ratings of the sheeple. However, it is interesting to note that his rating has dropped 11% since inauguration. He's likely to have one of the shortest "honeymoons" in modern history.

If all you can fault Reagan on was not killing off social security, suggest you read a book or two about Ronnie's policies, as it's obvious you haven't a clue.
I can tell that you struggle with reading comprehension. It's not the only thing I can fault Reagan for, but it's the most irritating.

Do you need a history lesson or do you only listen to Fox News for your fallacies?
I don't watch FOX. In fact, I very rarely watch TV news at all. It's a terrible waste of time.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 7, 2009, 10:40 AM

Obama is not the topic of this thread, spacefreak, so bringing him up would be derailing.
Chuck
___

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 7, 2009, 01:09 PM

Hence the early attacks on Limbaugh

I'm pretty sure it's my place, perhaps even my right, to "rip on Sarah Palin". Why do I have to defend Obama to rip on Palin?
As someone who lives in Alaska, can you tell me what Gov. Sheffield did that warranted the attempts to impeach and remove him from office.
45/47

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 7, 2009, 01:13 PM

Hence the early attacks on Limbaugh

As someone who lives in Alaska, can you tell me what Gov. Sheffield did that warranted the attempts to impeach and remove him from office.
Oh, no, you misunderstand.

Palin was crappy because she was *NOT* as corrupt as the rest of the bunch.

-t

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 7, 2009, 09:24 PM

sarah is not a quitter... that's why she's quitting

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 7, 2009, 09:31 PM

It's funny, my aunt who knows the Palin family personally and who has lived in Wasilla for 45 years thinks she is wonderful.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 7, 2009, 09:33 PM

The fact is, we don't really KNOW the real reasons she is quitting and all this speculation is just masturbatory.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Jul 7, 2009, 09:43 PM

Make no mistake, unless she's capable of pulling something absolutely unprecedented out of a box we've not even seen yet, she's got no chance at all of any official political capacity for at least 2 years. The "quitter" indictment is effective regardless of whether or not people agree with it.

Still... be careful by relying too heavily on this argument. I have a hunch what she'll be up to between now and 2010 is going to make the current amount of scrutiny she endures look like a walk in the park, will have brought no harm to Alaska itself, and may pay dividends for the GOP outreach in 2010. If she succeeds, she'll be propped up as a major stakeholder in the Republican Party. I'd of course appreciate the result while hoping someone else learns to deliver the message more effectively by 2012.
ebuddy

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 8, 2009, 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by smacintush View Post
The fact is, we don't really KNOW the real reasons she is quitting and all this speculation is just masturbatory.

Originally Posted by ebuddy View Post
Make no mistake, unless she's capable of pulling something absolutely unprecedented out of a box we've not even seen yet, she's got no chance at all of any official political capacity for at least 2 years. The "quitter" indictment is effective regardless of whether or not people agree with it.

Still... be careful by relying too heavily on this argument. I have a hunch what she'll be up to between now and 2010 is going to make the current amount of scrutiny she endures look like a walk in the park, will have brought no harm to Alaska itself, and may pay dividends for the GOP outreach in 2010. If she succeeds, she'll be propped up as a major stakeholder in the Republican Party. I'd of course appreciate the result while hoping someone else learns to deliver the message more effectively by 2012.
hey i'm just enjoying the summer....

it won't be us free thinkers she will need to worry about for the 2012 run... she will be facing other republicans who will run against her... and i bet at least one of them will bring this quitting but not quitting bit... can't wait!

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 8, 2009, 12:18 AM

At the rate the Republican party is self imploding, would the Republican party still be around in 2012?

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 8, 2009, 12:37 AM

Is this some sort of strange test? Sheffield was gov from 1982-1986, a bit before I could even vote. Honestly, I wasn't paying much attention to the governor back then.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 8, 2009, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by smacintush View Post
It's funny, my aunt who knows the Palin family personally and who has lived in Wasilla for 45 years thinks she is wonderful.
I don't know her personally. She might be a fabulous person. She just wasn't very good at Governor.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 8, 2009, 12:41 AM

She didn't quit. She had a late-term abortion.

She didn't wanted the responsibility of carrying her governorship to full-term. She rather go fishing or write a book.

Forum Links
Forum Rules