Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > connectivity question/help

connectivity question/help
andylaiphoto
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 14, 2009, 05:31 PM

Alright, I'll try to make this as short as possible. I work in a two level restaurant. The internet feed is upstairs, connected to a PC, and the wireless router is called a Watchguard Firebox Edge. The music for the restaurant is played via our Mac Mini on the first level. The wireless signal fades pretty bad by the time you get downstairs, I'm sure it's because of all the concrete in the structure of the building. The Mac Mini has a faint signal. We like controlling the music via Remote on our iPod touch. The iPod touch gets a decent signal, usually stronger than the Mac Mini. We have connectivity issues between the iPod and the Mac Mini. The iPod is constantly cutting off connection and then begins a night long search for a signal.

At first we thought perhaps the iPod was at fault, but I took the iPod and tested it on other networks and it works flawlessly. So the iPod, I don't think is the issue. The Mac Mini might actually need a stronger signal from the wireless to have a more reliable connection.

Now here comes my question...exactly how can I do this? Do I have options as far as wireless signal boosters that work with Mac and PC? If I connected an Airport Extreme to the Mini would it first even connect to the current network and second would it boost the signal? I was thinking if this method works, could you also have an Airport Express mid way to make the signal even stronger?

Thanks for your help in advance.

ibook_steve
Jul 14, 2009, 06:21 PM

The iPod needs to connect through the main router to get to the Mini (it doesn't connect directly to the Mini if that's what you're thinking should be happening), so if you already have bad connectivity downstairs to the Mini, the iPod isn't going to fair any better. With an Airport Express (or other router than supports WDS (wireless distribution)), as long as it can see the signal from the main router, it will boost the signal for all devices downstairs (Mini and iPod). That sounds like the best solution.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Forum Links
Forum Rules