Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Ethernet

Ethernet
Nightline
Sep 21, 2000, 08:16 AM

I just got my new Graphite iBook. I also have a first generation iMac.

I will getting an ethernet cable, and wondered if I will need anything else to communicate between the two computers. Software? If so, any suggestions?

Xaositect
Sep 21, 2000, 09:00 AM

If you want to directly connect the two you need a crossover cable. If you use a hub, you need regular cables. Get Cat-5 cables, for the little extra you spend they are more reliable. If you think you will add any more computers or printers, get the hub. If this is your first time networking Macs, read the online help. It won't take long and will help you understand what's going on.

The Mac is one of the easiest platforms to network, so relax and have fun!

RDJL27
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 21, 2000, 09:09 AM

The above post is correct, but I'll add some info, if you ae going to use a yellow crossover cabble, then if you are going to use filesharing, you have to click the button to turn it on at the same on both computers, if you get it, inform us of your progress/problems (hopefuly there won't be any).Goodluck.

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Sep 22, 2000, 04:44 PM

Why a yellow cable?

------------------
Why 1984, won't be
like "1984"

PerfectlyNormalBeast
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 25, 2000, 05:41 PM

X-Over cables don't have to be yellow. They're just regular ethernet cables with some of the pairs flipped. They should be marked as such.

machappy
Forum Regular
Sep 25, 2000, 10:13 PM

do ur self a favor and go ahead and get a 5-8port 10/100 hub while ur @ the comp store. u'll want to hook more devices in the future(printer/DSL/Cable) and your buds can come by and death match with you without a problem.
--s

ajklein
Sep 26, 2000, 12:04 PM

Originally posted by machappy:
do ur self a favor and go ahead and get a 5-8port 10/100 hub while ur @ the comp store. u'll want to hook more devices in the future(printer/DSL/Cable) and your buds can come by and death match with you without a problem.
--s
Buying a hublet's a good idea. They're nice products to have around. You can make an impromptu network or hook multiple computers into an existing LAN pretty easily. If you're travelling and you have access so someone else's Internet-connected network (home or office), you can easily "piggy-back" onto someone else's cable drop. You can buy a good 5-port 10/100 hub for $60 or so.

AK

KeyLimePi
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2000, 10:29 AM

Of course, it's possible to connect your iBook and your iMac wirelessly as well. If you get an Airport card and base station, and connect the iMac to the base station with the crossover cable, won't that allow wireless filesharing?

Rohith
Sep 27, 2000, 01:56 PM

First generation iMacs- Rev. A and B don't have AirPort slots.

Forum Links
Forum Rules