Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Sync Address Book with a Desktop Phone?

Sync Address Book with a Desktop Phone?
The Wolf
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 18, 2009, 05:01 PM

Is there any type of office phone out there that can be synched or networked with Address Book? I have tried using all the usual suspects to dial outgoing numbers from my MacBook via an Apple external USB modem (AB Dialer, Dialectic, Direct, and Phlink). I like the advanced features of the latter 3 in that they are supposed to pop up window with caller ID. However, no matter what I've tried, I just can't seem to be able to get the modem to recognize a dial tone. I 'think' my office is wired with a pbx network, which is probably what's giving the problem.

So, is there any industrial strength desktop phone out there that can handle this type of thing?

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 18, 2009, 05:30 PM

I take it you've tried dialing 9 before the number.
Also, you may be able to get your line changed to a 'standard phone' line, rather than expecting a PBX phone to be hooked up to it.

The Wolf  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 19, 2009, 08:57 AM

I did not try dialing 9, but I will next time Im in the office. I didn't think of that because when I dial out on the phone, I don't need to dial 9. I only need to select which line to dial out on. I guess the problem is that none of the software designers give any instruction about how to setup the modem in an office setting.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 19, 2009, 09:05 AM

The PBX in our office (Siemens Hicom 110, about 20 years old and slowly being phased out) has two line settings.
One is for the standard PBX phone and the other is to use a standard telephone.

When using the standard telephones on the PBX, you have to dial 9 for an outside line. Bear in mind that you have to have changed the line type (software setting) on the PBX to work with a standard telephone first.

Forum Links
Forum Rules