Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > How to save Sent mail locally with IMAP?

How to save Sent mail locally with IMAP?
gunnar
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 3, 2009, 11:11 AM

I have my Mail accounts setup using IMAP and a my Sent messages are set to be deleted off the server every week so I don't exceed storage limits (I have a lot of mail with attachments). I have selected "keep copies of all messages for offline viewing" in the Mail preferences but after the week, the Sent mail is gone from both the server and my local computer. Is there a way I can ensure the sent messages are never deleted locally? I guess this would apply to my inboxes too.

Cold Warrior
Oct 3, 2009, 11:18 AM

offline viewing only caches them, it doesn't actually save them beyond the 1-week point that you specified.

If you want to really archive them to the local machine, you should either move them to a local sent items folder or configure your IMAP options so that sent messages are placed in a local sent items (not the sent folder on the server).

gunnar  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 3, 2009, 11:22 AM

How do I move them to a local sent items automatically?

Cold Warrior
Oct 3, 2009, 11:30 AM

I'd start by looking at Mail's Rules options, maybe it can move by date or age. I don't use Mail actively (really just when Apple releases major point upgrades to see if/how it's changed) but maybe someone else here has a specific workflow that does what you want.

jrafter
Forum Regular
Oct 3, 2009, 03:18 PM

If you don't need a copy of your sent mail on the IMAP server, you should be able to have all your sent mail saved automatically—and indefinitely—in a local Sent Mail folder.

Mail > Preferences> Accounts > Mailbox Behaviors > [uncheck] Store sent messages on the server

gunnar  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 3, 2009, 06:45 PM

I need a copy on the server too because I want the same messages to be accessible from all the various computers...

Forum Links
Forum Rules