Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > The m4v/mpeg4 Mystery....

The m4v/mpeg4 Mystery....
sethwrks
Nov 18, 2009, 12:52 PM

So since i bought my new iMac (3ghtz dual core, 27", which kicks butt by the way...lol), ive been backing up all my dvd's to play on my iPod Classic. i use the same program for all of my backups, (Handbrake), and use the same settings, i.e.: mpeg4 or .m4v, (as it were). My problem is only a few so far, get "accepted" into the ipod as a "file the ipod can read". why is this? if everything is the same file, why wont my ipod pick it up? they're all accepted into iTunes (and playable). Even puttin them into the ipod from itunes manually still doesnt work....

Any thoughts?
btw... i tried to search for some answers first but didnt get anywhere , so if there is a link to a diff post that would be appreciated...

Simon
Posting Junkie
Nov 18, 2009, 01:13 PM

Download the latest Handbrake version. In the settings drawer select Apple > iPod and don't touch anything else. Then let Handbrake do its thing. Import into iTunes. If it plays in iTunes it should play on your Classic.

Note that the iPhone & iPod touch setting isn't compatible with your iPod Classic. Note also the 'iPod 5G support' checkbox.

Forum Links
Forum Rules