Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > What should a girl wear to a group Apple Store interview?

What should a girl wear to a group Apple Store interview?
shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2010, 11:04 PM

See subject. Don't troll.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

HackManDan
Forum Regular
Jan 15, 2010, 11:14 PM

Blue shirt?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All of this has happened before and all of it will happen again.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Laminar
Clinically Insane
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jan 15, 2010, 11:18 PM

Could you actually live with yourself shilling for Apple and giving company lines instead of what you believe to be true? What happens if someone asks you if OS X is the best OS? What happens if someone asks you if the iMac is a good hardware buy? You feel okay lying?

shifuimam  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2010, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Could you actually live with yourself shilling for Apple and giving company lines instead of what you believe to be true? What happens if someone asks you if OS X is the best OS? What happens if someone asks you if the iMac is a good hardware buy? You feel okay lying?
Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
Don't troll.
This message is NOT too short.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2010, 11:29 PM

Its a job interview. What does the Apple Store have to do with it?

shifuimam  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2010, 11:31 PM

I've heard varying things on how casual you should go. It's not the same as interviewing for Taco Bell, and it's not the same as interviewing for a corporate drone position with some multinational corporation.

There's some happy medium between too dressy and too casual, but it's not as clear cut for women. Skirt? Pants? Heels? Flats?

Being a girl is hard, you know.

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2010, 11:32 PM

Windows 7 Shirt

Seriously, there was a thread started on this before:

http://forums.macnn.com/89/macnn-lou...ore-interview/

I'd probably go with khaki's and a nice shirt, but no tie.

shifuimam  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2010, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by Ghoser777 View Post
I'd probably go with khaki's and a nice shirt, but no tie.
You must have missed the last three years, in which it's been established that I am indeed A WOMAN.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jan 15, 2010, 11:59 PM

... women can't wear khakis and a nice shirt? I thought those were kind of universal.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Jan 16, 2010, 12:00 AM

Try to look pretty.
No one likes to see a fug working retail. It makes for an uncomfortable shopping experience.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

tightsocks
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 16, 2010, 12:02 AM

shifuimam  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2010, 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
... women can't wear khakis and a nice shirt? I thought those were kind of universal.
I was more referring to the tie thing.

tightsocks
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 16, 2010, 12:13 AM

BlueSky
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2010, 12:13 AM

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2010, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
No one likes to see a fug working retail.
I’ve seen some pretty fugly people working at the Apple Store; there was a guy at the Pasadena store that was covered in tats, it was disgusting. Then there are some that look like they don’t bathe. Maybe it’s a Southern California thing.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 16, 2010, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by iMOTOR View Post
... there was a guy at the Pasadena store that was covered in tats, it was disgusting.
That's just you being a judgmental jerk.

shifuimam  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2010, 12:36 AM

Depends on what the tats looked like. If it was a bunch of naked chicks, that is pretty disgusting.

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2010, 12:43 AM

No, it was more like the skulls and demons, creatures from hell, genre.

Mac Write
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2010, 12:54 AM

In my Career and Employment Preparation Program I took in winter 2008. Dress one level above what you will actually wear when you actually work at the job.
Get busy living or get busy dying
--Stephen King

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 16, 2010, 01:15 AM

Well, all of the group interview invites that I've had (2), have both said "feel free to dress business casual." Whatever that is.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jan 16, 2010, 01:38 AM

Business casual is kakis and a collared shirt w/ out a tie.

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2010, 01:58 AM

Shave your head, Honey, and throw on some jeans and a black mock turtleneck. Act like Steve Jobs. Prepare a presentation in Keynote and rehearse your speech.

When you get to the store, display the Keynote piece on the largest monitor you can, and stand in front of it. Always end with "Oh, there's one more thing...", and then drop the hammer.

They'll either laugh at you or offer you the position with a phrase like "there's something about you that feels so right for this position".

If they laugh, just tell them that you thought people were coming to the store looking for Jobs, and that's exactly what you were bring to the table. Say "Every employee is here because of Jobs. People are coming in looking for Jobs. Look around and tell me... who is the one person here who was actually committed to delivering Jobs?".

I've done this successfully a number of times. However, I've never looked to actually work there. I just like putting on the show. Sometimes my friend of Asian descent joins me. When he does, I have him talk in the middle of my presentation for a few minutes about Sony.
( Last edited by spacefreak; Jan 16, 2010 at 02:15 AM. Reason: Don't take a word of this seriously. I've never applied for a job at an Apple Store.)

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 16, 2010, 02:03 AM

I can't quite tell if you're being serious or not, but that's awesome.

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2010, 02:26 AM

It is, isn't it? I mean, unless that post costs someone a shot at a job.

If I was hiring at an Apple Store and some person pulled this off, I'd hire them in a heartbeat. Even if they crashed and burned... if they had kept their composure through the trainwreck, I'd still give the candidate a big benefit of doubt for the ballsy effort.

Does she speak well? Does she know Apple products? To what degree? Can she talk comfortable and confidently to strangers? Go over her Keynote to judge aptitude using Apple products, and listen to the content of her presentation and grasp of the subject matter. Check, check, check, and check? Hired. Welcome aboard.

I wasn't being serious. I've never applied for a job at an Apple Store. I just added a notice of such in the footnote at the bottom of the post.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2010, 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
Try to look pretty.
No one likes to see a fug working retail. It makes for an uncomfortable shopping experience.
Yeah, they should be paying us.

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Well, all of the group interview invites that I've had (2), have both said "feel free to dress business casual." Whatever that is.
Shirt. Tie. No pants.

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2010, 10:19 AM

Shif,

How are these comments trolling? You have made many of these very same statements here in these forums. So, how are you going to answer the question of what is the best OS when working at the Apple Store? (Hint, your employer, Apple, expects you to believe and say it is Apple.)
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

amazing
Professional Poster
Jan 16, 2010, 10:45 AM

You weren't really expecting any helpful comments, were you?

Surely you know the tone of these forums by now?

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 16, 2010, 10:53 AM

I've always tried to wear clothes a step nicer/dressier than what the people working where I'm interviewing wear. I've found that this makes one stand out; the interviewer remembers someone who dresses as if they take the interviewing process seriously. If you're interviewing for a floor sales job, nice slacks and a nice blouse should be enough to make you visually stand out. I'd also work on using correct English-not as if you were trying to sound like a grammarian, but strictly avoiding "like..." and most other current slang. Sounding smart is always a plus.

Good luck!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

shifuimam  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2010, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by dcmacdaddy View Post
Shif,

How are these comments trolling? You have made many of these very same statements here in these forums. So, how are you going to answer the question of what is the best OS when working at the Apple Store? (Hint, your employer, Apple, expects you to believe and say it is Apple.)
I worked at Starbucks for three years, which is an extremely liberal corporation from top to bottom, while I was still living the life of a very conservative good little Christian girl. My first job out of college was at a Fortune 500 multinational corporation.

Playing the game in corporate America is easy.

And no, I didn't lie on my resume.
( Last edited by shifuimam; Feb 10, 2010 at 09:42 PM. )

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jan 16, 2010, 01:12 PM

Go to the store and see how the employees are dressed. Dress up a bit from that. I would say "business casual" for an Apple Store interview.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 16, 2010, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by dcmacdaddy View Post
Shif,

I thought it was trolling too. It was picking an unnecessary fight, trying to provoke a reaction. I've only ever heard Shif defend Windows a little bit and criticize certain aspects of OS X/Apple, but I don't see how this can be construed into opinions about OS X not being the "best OS", or the iMac not being good hardware. More importantly, she didn't ask for advice in this area. For some reason on the internets people seem to have this Judge Judy reflex where they feel like they need to straighten everybody out by weighing in on everything and anything, no matter what, and often in a pretty hostile manner. In real life I'm sure Laminar wouldn't have gone for the jugular like that right off the bat.

I also like having a non-Apple fanboy viewpoint around here, whether I agree with it or not.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 16, 2010, 02:02 PM

I worked at Starbucks for three years, which is an extremely liberal corporation from top to bottom, while I was still living the life of a very conservative good little Christian girl. My first job out of college was at a Fortune 500 multinational corporation.

Playing the game in corporate America is easy. You say what it takes to make the job, even if you don't believe in the words that are coming out of your mouth.

And no, I didn't lie on my resume.

I know that this is not the right time/place for this, but at some point I'd like to hear more about why/how/what got you to stop being a "good conservative Christian girl"...

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 16, 2010, 02:17 PM

Do you know what Apple Store ?

Have you been there to check how the current employes dress ?
I know the shirts are all Apple, but look at the pants, shoes, hair style etc. It should give you and idea what goes with that store manager.

-t

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2010, 02:58 PM

See her reply to my follow-up question along these same lines. I think you will find her answers are Yes, Yes, Yes, and Yes.

As to the question at hand, do what others have said and dress "one level" above what your future co-workers would be wearing. So, nice casual slacks, flats, and a simple button-down blouse. By the way, at which Apple Store is this interview? Clarendon or Tysons? The Clarendon store was my favorite as it was so easy to get to either via Metro or car.
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jan 16, 2010, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
I've only ever heard Shif defend Windows a little bit and criticize certain aspects of OS X/Apple,
Quite often, the best sales people are the ones who are aware of their product's weaknesses. When I was working on product education programs for the auto industry, several of the companies wanted a lot of the focus to be on informing sales people about where competing products were superior.

I'm more than likely to buy from a sales person who says "yeah, Windows is good at X, but Mac is better at Y" than from someone who says "Windows sucks, buy Mac!". The first sales person sounds more honest and informed to me.
( Last edited by Wiskedjak; Jan 16, 2010 at 04:02 PM. )

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2010, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
Sometimes my friend of Asian descent joins me. When he does, I have him talk in the middle of my presentation for a few minutes about Sony.
It would be funnier if your friend put on a wig and did a Roz Ho presentation on the latest MS Office features.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

shifuimam  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2010, 06:30 PM

Your place of employment is simply not the appropriate time to preach your own personal values and opinions, unless you've chosen a job where that is encouraged (e.g. working in a political campaign office).

As mentioned previously, I was a Starbucks employee for three years. I never really had a problem selling people $4 white mochas, even though I knew that there wasn't anything particularly special about the beverages we sold. I do still prefer Starbucks roasts to most competitors, but I don't really think the coffee is worth the price premium. You're paying for the image.

The clientele at an Apple store is much the same. Do I think that the iMac is unbelievably superior to other all-in-one computers? Not really. Do I think you'll be satisfied with your purchase? Probably, yeah.

In fact, I would suspect that someone like me is well cut out to push OS X, because I know how to show a die-hard Windows user how to accomplish their daily tasks in an unfamiliar OS. You don't have to be a rabid fanboy to work for a company, you know...

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 16, 2010, 06:33 PM

Shif,
Seriously, it's not trolling. Someone asked you a legitimate question based on your past here. You've bashed Apple. Steve Jobs, and Apple fans in the most DISGUSTING ways. And for the record, the internet never forgets:

Terrible customer service, overpriced machines, fanboyism, and Steve Jobs is a tool
The hilarity ensues when you do a search for "shifuimam" and "****".

Oh, Google, how we love you.

Good luck getting your job. Seriously. I just hope that nobody connects your real name with this one.

EDIT: Apparently NN doesn't like a certain word that starts with 'j'.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

shifuimam  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2010, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
Shif,
Seriously, it's not trolling. Someone asked you a legitimate question based on your past here. You've bashed Apple. Steve Jobs, and Apple fans in the most DISGUSTING ways. And for the record, the internet never forgets:

The hilarity ensues when you do a search for "shifuimam" and "****".

Oh, Google, how we love you.

Good luck getting your job.

EDIT: Apparently NN doesn't like a certain word that starts with 'j'.
Like I said in the OP, don't troll. Kthx.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 16, 2010, 06:37 PM

My, my, don't we like holding onto our grudges?

Like I said in the OP, don't troll. Kthx.
Uh, it's not holding a grudge, it's showing you how Apple can fire you on a moment's notice based on what you've written on the internet.

I wasn't the first person to tell you this here. It's not trolling, but feel free to considering it as such.

shifuimam  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2010, 06:39 PM

I'm going with the "posting inflammatory or extraneous things in an attempt to incite an emotional response" definition of trolling.

Apple is hiring. I've applied to other places in my area that are hiring as well. I wouldn't really put it past you to try and sabotage this interview, but if you stoop that low, you are one hell of a ****tard.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jan 16, 2010, 06:40 PM

I know a guy who works at the local Apple Store who is a Windows user at home. I know a developer at Microsoft who loves his Macbook. I know a Ford salesman who drives a GM. It's a bit naive to assume to all Apple employees are die-hard Apple-faithful. You don't have to drink the koolaid to sell a product.

finboy
Jan 16, 2010, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
Go to the store and see how the employees are dressed. Dress up a bit from that. I would say "business casual" for an Apple Store interview.
You can't go wrong with a button-down oxford shirt and khakis. You'll be wearing their stuff if you get hired anyway.

A Side Note: Given my last trip to the Apple Store, a couple of hours ago, you shouldn't worry about it too much. I'm sure you'll do fine. There were some real "different" folks working there this time (full sleeve horrorshow tats, excessive face jewelry, sandals, etc.). Some may have been volunteers but I don't think so (that's how it used to work back in the CompUSA days -- lots of Apple shirts were vols on weekends). Most of the folks looked pretty comfortable. They were really really busy.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 16, 2010, 06:41 PM

You seriously need to get a grip on yourself.

You post a bunch of crap on the internet about Apple for years, and when myself and others point out to you that this could cause harm to your interview, you dismiss it as "trolling".

You only dug yourself into this hole, Shif. I know for a fact you left breadcrumbs behind. No, I won't sabotage anything because that's not what I do, but I'm just warning you that eventually, all the crap you spoke about Apple can bite you in the ass.

This is a PSA, not trolling.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 16, 2010, 06:42 PM

I know a guy who works at the local Apple Store who is a Windows user at home. I know a developer at Microsoft who loves his Macbook. I know a Ford salesman who drives a GM. It's a bit naive to assume to all Apple employees are die-hard Apple-faithful. You don't have to drink the koolaid to sell a product.
True, but posting crap like "Apple fanboys will swallow Steve Jobs' j---" isn't exactly someone Apple's looking for.

Do you really consider that the same thing?

Cold Warrior
Jan 16, 2010, 06:43 PM

Starman's comments don't fall into trolling territory, but in general we're taking the thread off topic. IIRC the thread is about Apple Store interview attire.

shifuimam  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2010, 06:44 PM

No, you don't, and from what I've heard of people who actually work at Apple retail locations, they don't WANT the rabid fanboys. They want people who are rational about the products and are able to acknowledge their weaknesses as well as their strengths.

The sane people I've talked to about this upcoming interview, including someone who is a longtime Mac user and was offered a job at the aforementioned Vancouver location, are pretty positive about my chances. I'm well cut out to work on the Genius bar (I realize that most geniuses are promoted, not hired in), given my extensive knowledge and work with both Apple and other OEM laptops and desktops. I likely know more about OS X than your average fanboy, and considering that I have extensive and advanced experience using both Windows and OS X, I can easily and clearly explain to a potential customer how to make the change from PC to Mac.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 16, 2010, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
Starman's comments don't fall into trolling territory, but in general we're taking the thread off topic. IIRC the thread is about Apple Store interview attire.
Off topic, perhaps. The fact is, shif's had a long history of hating Apple. With the culture of this place, coupled with her history, I'm not surprised the thread went this way.

I just made sure I wasn't the first to mention it.

shifuimam  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2010, 06:47 PM

Do you want a high five for that? Your bitching is accomplishing nothing. Move on.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 16, 2010, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
Off topic, perhaps. The fact is, shif's had a long history of hating Apple.
I think that's exaggerating it a bit.

Yes, she has been a vocal critic, and sometimes displayed anti-Apple attitudes.
But she does like Apple, otherwise she wouldn't be around and use Apple's products.

We have quite a few members here that display a rather odd love/hate relationship with Apple products. But marking them as Apple-haters is really oversimplifying the issue.

-t

Forum Links
Forum Rules