Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Sharing a NAS on a 2nd Ethernet port?

Sharing a NAS on a 2nd Ethernet port?
Laurence
Mac Enthusiast
May 17, 2010, 01:38 PM

I have a NAS (Promise SmartStor N4300) and it works relatively well connected to my airport base station, however it seems a bit slow sometimes. If I connect to it wired speeds are drastically faster. What I'd like to do is place it next to my Mac Pro and connect it directly to one of the ethernet jacks, however I'm wondering if I would still be able to access it from the other computers in the house? The Mac Pro is connected wirelessly to the airport but it's the main computer that I need to access the NAS most of the time so I don't really need the speeds to be fast from the other computers.

I hooked the NAS up directly to the Mac Pro and it works much better, however I can't seem to figure out how to share it out over the wireless connection to the bast station and then to the rest of the house. Is this possible through the GUI or will I need to set up some custom routing with a third party app or from the command line?
--Laurence

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
May 17, 2010, 07:52 PM

System preferences - Sharing may do what your looking for.

Forum Links
Forum Rules