Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Using AirPort Extreme as wireless access point

Using AirPort Extreme as wireless access point
Macintosh Sauce
Jul 2, 2010, 11:56 AM

Hi everyone. I have an older (non dual-band) gigabit AirPort Extreme. I want to attach a 15" iMac (G4) in another room with an Ethernet cable at the back of it, and have this AP Extreme access the wireless network that is in my computer/study room. How do I go about this? The iMac is running Tiger and I am running Snow Leopard on my Mac Pro in my computer/study room.

Thanks!

Cold Warrior
Jul 2, 2010, 01:00 PM

Could you clarify -- do you have two Extremes that you want to connect or are you just running ethernet cable to the iMac?

Macintosh Sauce  (op)
Jul 2, 2010, 03:04 PM

I will try to explain it as best as possible. I have a 15" iMac (G4) in my father-in-law's bedroom. I want to connect the AirPort Extreme to it through the Ethernet connection and use the wireless feature of the APE to access the wireless network on the Qwest-provided DSL wireless router in my computer/study room.

ibook_steve
Jul 6, 2010, 03:19 AM

You're putting the AE in the wrong room. The AE should be attached, via ethernet, to the DSL modem (the WAN port on the AE). Whatever computer(s) is (are) in the room with the DSL modem can then be attached by ethernet to the AE. Then the iMac in the other room can access the Internet wirelessly through the AE wireless connection.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Forum Links
Forum Rules