Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Do the newer notebooks run cooler?

Do the newer notebooks run cooler?
Merkava_4
Jul 24, 2010, 07:51 AM

Some of these internet forums have rather elaborate smilies on their reply page and they reek havoc on my old PowerBook. If I spend too much time writing a post, the computer gets real hot and the fans come on full speed. Do the newer Mac notebooks run cooler?

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 24, 2010, 09:56 AM

If anything they probably run hotter when working flat out. The difference is they can handle most web content without being worked hard at all. With the exception of Flash of course. Smilies are not going to tax them though.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

amazing
Professional Poster
Jul 24, 2010, 10:23 AM

summer temps make everything run hotter. I don't have AC and so I got a laptop cooler for my former PB, which I now use with my MBP 2008. If you eventually do get a laptop cooler, be sure you get a model where the fans blow directly at the bottom of the laptop. Fans that suck air away from the bottom to expel the air out the sides or back don't work nearly as well. Also the laptop cooler keeps the hot laptop off the lap, while elevating the screen in a useful fashion.

If Flash is making your PB heat up, get a Flash blocker for your browser.

Also, you can get various utilities for the new MBPs that allow you to control the laptop fans, such as smcFanControl. You can manually ramp the fans up for better cooling.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Jul 24, 2010, 10:51 AM

was with friends yesterday; he has an early-gen 15" macbookpro, she has a brand-new 15" mbp. the older mbp was definitely running hotter, with just about everything. my 13" mbp gets pretty hot sometimes, but i rarely hear the fans, it's not bad (EXCEPT viewing flash content, or exporting video...)
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

danfisher
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 24, 2010, 11:54 AM

i have noticed a big difference between my new 17" i5 and my 15" MPB CD. the new one definitely doesn't seem to get as hot. my older machine would get very hot and freeze up or run VERY slow.
geek qualifications include:

MacBook Pro, 17", 2.53ghz i5, 4g RAM, 500g HD, Glossy HD Screen
MacBook Pro, 15", 2.16ghz, 1g RAM, 100g HD, Matte Screen
iPhone 4, Black, 32g, BestSkinsEver Total Body Skin

Merkava_4  (op)
Jul 24, 2010, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by amazing View Post
If Flash is making your PB heat up, get a Flash blocker for your browser.
Yes sir, I've got Flash blocker installed on Camino and Netscape, but it won't block animated smilies. The smilies on MacNN are very mild compared to some of the forums I frequent, and so they don't have an immediate effect like some of the others do.

Maybe I'm being overly sensitive to the sound of the fans coming on. I just feel like I'm doing harm to the computer by subjecting it to content that heats it up.

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Jul 25, 2010, 02:19 AM

It doesn't block them because they are not flash, they are animated gif's.

Forum Links
Forum Rules