Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New iBook it's not what I expected.

New iBook it's not what I expected.
MACALEX
Oct 16, 2001, 09:27 AM

Unfortunatly new iBook it's not what I expected because this sute baby didn't get the right video card and also I am sure that Apple will introduce another one new iBook on the Macworld in SF and it's will be 700Mhz G3, but we all know that IBM already made 1Ghz mobile G3 chip. So, what is that? Apple just try to make money like everyone else include MS.

-Q-
Oct 16, 2001, 09:30 AM

Uh, what's your point? They are a company...they're allowed to make money.

And the chips IBM announced yesterday are nowhere near being ready for mass production. If the iBook is at 700 MHz in January, great. Don't buy one until then.

MACALEX  (op)
Oct 16, 2001, 09:44 AM

Originally posted by -Q-:
<STRONG>Uh, what's your point? They are a company...they're allowed to make money.

And the chips IBM announced yesterday are nowhere near being ready for mass production. If the iBook is at 700 MHz in January, great. Don't buy one until then.</STRONG>
Well, looks like you really didn't get the point. I am sorry to explain this to you, but there is no point to get any Mac because it's all this **** changes all the time and you never will able to keep on. So, all what I wanted to say is that Apple made a big mistake and you'll see it soon.
By the way, they forgot to make a normal hardware before release MacOS X and MacOS 10.1 have tons of bugs. Making money it's not always good way to go as we all see with MS and that is why we was sticking with Apple. Looks like now after 10 years been a MacAddict I give up because I don't see the bright light in the dark tunnel. It's just my opinion, so be patient.

MACALEX  (op)
Oct 16, 2001, 09:47 AM

I don't think you are a genius because you can't even post a picture right in the forum.

IUJHJSDHE
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2001, 09:48 AM

yeah what are you talking about.

The new ibook is great. Why the hell would you want to stop being a macuser?

-Q-
Oct 16, 2001, 09:53 AM

Obviously, you're an idiot. Computer configurations change all the time. Remove your head from your ass and you'll see that.

stepson
Oct 16, 2001, 09:59 AM

Yea, whats the big idea with Apple 'changing ****' all the time! Change is bad! Give me system 1.0 and a 68k processor! Whats the big idea, changing stuff all the time, geez .... remember when the G4 stayed at 500mhz for so long? ahh... those were the days ...

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Oct 16, 2001, 10:00 AM

<STRONG>Obviously, you're an idiot. Computer configurations change all the time. Remove your head from your ass and you'll see that.</STRONG>
cool! a fight! i wanna be on Q's side, he's got more stars. oh, that and the fact that he's right...
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

MACALEX  (op)
Oct 16, 2001, 10:12 AM

<STRONG>Obviously, you're an idiot. Computer configurations change all the time. Remove your head from your ass and you'll see that.</STRONG>
Sure, I would prefer just take out from socket CPU and replace on the faster one like on the PC. Brand name never will be like this and also I am angry on Apple because they were not able to deal with Cyrilic script in MacOS X. If anyone know how to change application font under MacOS X pleae let me know then maybe I'll stay with Apple.
Each application use different font and I have no idea how to deal with this complicated stuff, I have to run MacOS 9.2.1 to make web site design in Fireworks, MacOS classic is too slow for me. Maybe guys it's enough for you. I don't know. I just don't like revolutions because my country had them enough.

IUJHJSDHE
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2001, 10:13 AM

MACALEX if you are going to quit being a mac user then what?

Microsoft and all the other change all the time too.

LOL

and MACALEX the idar that you would stop being a macuser because apple wants to make there computer's even better as soon as they can is the most stupitest thing I have seen on macnn.

Anyway if that is your problem stop using computers because all computer company's do this.

IUJHJSDHE
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2001, 10:20 AM

Originally posted by MACALEX:
<STRONG>
I have to run MacOS 9.2.1 to make web site design in Fireworks, MacOS classic is too slow for me. Maybe guys it's enough for you.</STRONG>
Ok I was wrong, THAT IS THE STUPITEST THING I HAVE READ ON MACNN.

1. MacOS 9.2.1 is Macos Classic!

2. How can MacOS classic be slow with 600 mhz !!!

3. I have an ibook with under 500 mhz and I make web site designs all the time.

and I use photoshop and and after effects!

If you leave apple then what?
You going to buy a pc?

rampant
Banned
Location: permanent resident of the Land of the Easily Aroused
Oct 16, 2001, 10:23 AM

New ibook sucks? Well, you haven't used one, or a 500 even, so just shut up you smarmy git. Quit bashing them, that's what computer companies do.

yuo=fagot

(and by that, I of course mean "cigarettes" )

MACALEX  (op)
Oct 16, 2001, 10:25 AM

Originally posted by IUJHJSDHE:
<STRONG>

Ok I was wrong, THAT IS THE STUPITEST THING I HAVE READ ON MACNN.

1. MacOS 9.2.1 is Macos Classic!

2. How can MacOS classic be slow with 600 mhz !!!

3. I have an ibook with under 500 mhz and I make web site designs all the time.

and I use photoshop and and after effects!

If you leave apple then what?
You going to buy a pc?

</STRONG>
I meant MacOS classic in my understanding is that MacOS running under MacOS X. I am sorry if I made you confused.

Avenir
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2001, 10:25 AM

careful about going outside... the weather might change too... *gasp!*

anyway, lighten up dude, if the iBook doesn't suit your needs right now, then wait until it does. If it never does, and PC's (god forbid) actually suit your needs better, than get one. Apple is just another company out to make money just like everyone else, the difference is at least their products don't suck (at all or as much) as the other guys.

spike[at]avenirex[dot]com | Avenirex
IM - Avenirx | ICQ - 3932806

MACALEX  (op)
Oct 16, 2001, 10:30 AM

Originally posted by rampant:
<STRONG>New ibook sucks? Well, you haven't used one, or a 500 even, so just shut up you smarmy git. Quit bashing them, that's what computer companies do.

yuo=fagot

(and by that, I of course mean "cigarettes" )</STRONG>
Sure, I'll shut up, but what's will happen if you all will die because of Anthrax?

IUJHJSDHE
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2001, 10:32 AM

Originally posted by Avenir:
<STRONG>careful about going outside... the weather might change too... *gasp!*

anyway, lighten up dude, if the iBook doesn't suit your needs right now, then wait until it does. If it never does, and PC's (god forbid) actually suit your needs better, than get one. </STRONG>
Better yet, Get a different kind of mac.
Say an imac or powermac g4?

IUJHJSDHE
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2001, 10:34 AM

<STRONG>

Sure, I'll shut up, but what's will happen if you all will die because of Anthrax?</STRONG>
What does that have to do with anything?

MACALEX  (op)
Oct 16, 2001, 10:34 AM

Originally posted by Avenir:
<STRONG>careful about going outside... the weather might change too... *gasp!*

anyway, lighten up dude, if the iBook doesn't suit your needs right now, then wait until it does. If it never does, and PC's (god forbid) actually suit your needs better, than get one. Apple is just another company out to make money just like everyone else, the difference is at least their products don't suck (at all or as much) as the other guys.</STRONG>
If you have tons of stars you are fuc*king too smart or what?
Take off your pants and blow yourself.
You can't even say why you like new iBook, no arguments, just a bullshit.

ibookmark
Oct 16, 2001, 10:37 AM

<STRONG>

Sure, I'll shut up, but what's will happen if you all will die because of Anthrax?</STRONG>
Now that was real nice

Totally uncalled for

ibookmark
Oct 16, 2001, 10:39 AM

can we get a moderator in here?

IUJHJSDHE
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2001, 10:41 AM

<STRONG>You can't even say why you like new iBook, no arguments, just a bullshit.</STRONG>
I love MAC'S AND THERE OS!

It does everything I could want in a computer.

I don't see what is not to like?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 16, 2001, 10:44 AM

<STRONG>

If you have tons of stars you are fuc*king too smart or what?
Take off your pants and blow yourself.
You can't even say why you like new iBook, no arguments, just a bullshit.</STRONG>
Hey, MACALEX, could you please behave a bit. We're not used to a tone like that in this forum...
If you can't do that, go back from where you come from...

-t

MACALEX  (op)
Oct 16, 2001, 10:47 AM

Originally posted by ibookmark:
<STRONG>can we get a moderator in here?</STRONG>
Sure man, your fu*cking government kills you and you just believe in fu*cking **** about terrorists. Open your fuc*king eyes and you'll see clearly that actually all this sh*it happens because you are too smart and always make feel to people from another country like dirt.
So, sucked up now.
I finished this **** . Of course, I was drunk, but anyway I was saying the truth.

IUJHJSDHE
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2001, 10:52 AM

<STRONG>
Sure man, your fu*cking government kills you and you just believe in fu*cking **** about terrorists. Open your fuc*king eyes and you'll see clearly that actually all this sh*it happens because you are too smart and always make feel to people from another country like dirt.
So, sucked up now.
I finished this **** . Of course, I was drunk, but anyway I was saying the truth.</STRONG>
Ahh, what does that have to do with you not likeing the new ibook?

ibookmark
Oct 16, 2001, 10:56 AM

<STRONG>
So, sucked up now.
I finished this **** . Of course, I was drunk, but anyway I was saying the truth.</STRONG>
...and I deserved that response why? I think you should consider what you write before you actually write it. No naivete here. Just human consideration. If you cannot post in a responsible manner then perhaps you should not post here.

ibookmark
Oct 16, 2001, 10:57 AM

Again, I request a moderator to take control of this forum.

MACALEX  (op)
Oct 16, 2001, 11:02 AM

<STRONG>

...and I deserved that response why? I think you should consider what you write before you actually write it. No naivete here. Just human consideration. If you cannot post in a responsible manner then perhaps you should not post here.</STRONG>
Just look in the history of this forum and there was a guy : philzilla
who started to sh*it all over me. And now you Amercicans will say that this Russian crazy guy started all this story. I am sorry guys but it's not me.

ibookmark
Oct 16, 2001, 11:05 AM

<STRONG>
who started to sh*it all over me. And now you Amercicans will say that this Russian crazy guy started all this story. I am sorry guys but it's not me.</STRONG>
I'm not concerned with who started what. But I think you should consider the words you use. I also hope you can find peace for whatever is driving your anger.

I hope we can get back on topic...this is about macs isn't it?

IUJHJSDHE
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2001, 11:05 AM

<STRONG>
who started to sh*it all over me. And now you Amercicans will say that this Russian crazy guy started all this story. I am sorry guys but it's not me.</STRONG>
Ok the topic of this topic is "New iBook it's not what I expected."

What does your ibook have to do with what you are saying?

Can we stay on topic for a while?

MACALEX  (op)
Oct 16, 2001, 11:10 AM

<STRONG>

I'm not concerned with who started what. But I think you should consider the words you use. I also hope you can find peace for whatever is driving your anger.

I hope we can get back on topic...this is about macs isn't it?</STRONG>
Sure, man. I knew that in States there is some normal people. ;-)
To be honest I use iBook now at the moment, and I like it like a typewriter, but it's not a computer and MacOS X it's not UNIX, it's just a parody on the UNIX with cool graphics interface, about interface there is no words, because super computer with sometimes think too much how to move nice looking window.
I prefer Linux in this case.

MACALEX  (op)
Oct 16, 2001, 11:15 AM

<STRONG>

Ok the topic of this topic is "New iBook it's not what I expected."

What does your ibook have to do with what you are saying?

Can we stay on topic for a while? </STRONG>
Sure, we could stay, but I would really appreciate if somebody from Apple will explain to me why they didn't put Radion Mobility 16Mb in iBook and why PowerBook G4 didn't get CDRW, then I'll go back to my normal life and relax.

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Oct 16, 2001, 11:18 AM

<STRONG>
niiice. intelligent, well thought out statement you put forward there buddy. oh hang on, was it me who said the head/ass line? uhh... no. i think you'll find it was Q. however, this is now getting very funny and you make me laugh
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

ibookmark
Oct 16, 2001, 11:20 AM

I think most everyday people only use computers as typewriter replacements. Of course they have the added advantage of composing, storing and arranging pictures, movies, and music.All of this can be done on an ibook sufficiently (for the everyday user-its intended customer). For professionals there is the tibook. Except in some specific instances I don't think the professional is limited. If they are, those professionals don't rely on only one system. Its nice to have a choice.

For statistics or other science software I have yet to be limited just using my macs. I think the bus boost on both the new laptops were needed and sufficient for the moment.

Doesn't Apple's site list either DVD or CDRW for the tibooks?

[ 10-16-2001: Message edited by: ibookmark ]

MACALEX  (op)
Oct 16, 2001, 11:28 AM

<STRONG>I think most everyday people only use computers as typewriter replacements. Of course they have the added advantage of composing, storing and arranging pictures, movies, and music.All of this can be done on an ibook sufficiently (for the everyday user-its intended customer). For professionals there is the tibook. Except in some specific instances I don't think the professional is limited. If they are, those professionals don't rely on only one system. Its nice to have a choice.

For statistics or other science software I have yet to be limited just using my macs. I think the bus boost on both the new laptops were needed and sufficient for the moment.

Doesn't Apple's site list either DVD or CDRW for the tibooks?

[ 10-16-2001: Message edited by: ibookmark ]</STRONG>
To be honest, I wanted to buy new PowerBook G4 and now here already 2:20 am and I was waiting for Apple to put new stuff on their web site until midnight, but I wanted them to put CDRW and they didn't. Int'l CDRW much more better, I feel it now with my iBook 500, but G3 is too slow compare with G4 for converting to mp3 for example , but I do a lot of things with music and that is why I pissed off with Apple now. Sorry to everyone. ;-)
i heard from O'grady that some guy have got from Apple repair service G4 with CDRW. I am wondering if they really have CDRW for PB G4.

IUJHJSDHE
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2001, 11:28 AM

The current tibooks can have a cd-rom model a dvd-rom model and a cd-rw model.
No combo but I don't see any big problem there

ibookmark
Oct 16, 2001, 11:32 AM

I'm curious MACALEX , how do you buy a mac in Russia? How much more is it there? I know that in Australia the price is astronomical and I wonder if the same goes for Russia.

PHoynak
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 16, 2001, 11:33 AM

The only thing I hate about the new iBook is that I want one! I have a dual USB iBook now but the 100 mhz system bus is a nice speed bump. Once IBM gets the new G3 out and Apple uses it Apple should go after the PC market with more advertising so we can finally make big gains in market share.

-Q-
Oct 16, 2001, 11:35 AM

<STRONG>
Shitting all over you? Whatever. You're the one who turned this into Russia vs. America with your stupid Anthrax comment. I made no comment about your origins. This thread is about iBooks. I originally asked you to elaborate on your point which you have failed to do. Go sober up, then maybe we can have an intelligent discussion about why you're wrong.

And yes, the new TiBook can have either a CD-RW or a DVD player.

ibookmark
Oct 16, 2001, 11:37 AM

<STRONG>

Shitting all over you? Whatever. You're the one who turned this into Russia vs. America with your stupid Anthrax comment. I made no comment about your origins. This thread is about iBooks. I originally asked you to elaborate on your point which you have failed to do. Go sober up, then maybe we can have an intelligent discussion about why you're wrong.

And yes, the new TiBook can have either a CD-RW or a DVD player. </STRONG>
Easy Q I think MACALEX is doing just fine now. I think we are back on topic now.

MACALEX  (op)
Oct 16, 2001, 11:38 AM

<STRONG>The current tibooks can have a cd-rom model a dvd-rom model and a cd-rw model.
No combo but I don't see any big problem there </STRONG>
God, damn, I didn't look options on the Apple Store.
Sorry to all, include all American society.
Bye.
I am going to get this PowerBook G4 with CDRW, but anyone know if it's will be available in Europe?

IUJHJSDHE
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2001, 11:45 AM

<STRONG>
God, damn, I didn't look options on the Apple Store.
Sorry to all, include all American society.
Bye.
I am going to get this PowerBook G4 with CDRW, but anyone know if it's will be available in Europe?</STRONG>
I take it your sticking with apple.

Good choice

MACALEX  (op)
Oct 16, 2001, 11:48 AM

<STRONG>I'm curious MACALEX , how do you buy a mac in Russia? How much more is it there? I know that in Australia the price is astronomical and I wonder if the same goes for Russia.</STRONG>
I buy Mac through my local dealer. I've been leaving in LA for awhile and I don't see a differents now between U.S. and Russia.
Well, sometimes Apple Euro don't get some new models and I was needed to order DVD-ROM/CDRW model because they said that CDRW model is not available anymore. I've got iBook G3/500 512Mb RAM/20Gb HD/CDRW/DVD-ROM for $2700.
I don't know how many Mac's in Russia, but I think about 100,000 with G4 CPU and about 300.000 with G3 CPU and tons of old Macs.

ibookmark
Oct 16, 2001, 11:54 AM

Thanks MACALEX . I know the big price difference hurts sales in Australia. I didn't know if you had to deal with that in Russia.

-Q-
Oct 16, 2001, 12:02 PM

<STRONG>

Easy Q I think MACALEX is doing just fine now. I think we are back on topic now. </STRONG>
And so you are right. The attitude has been put away again.

iBookMark - Has Cincy gotten it's Apple Store yet?

And MACALEX, my apologies. I did come off too strong in my posts. Enjoy the new G4. As for European availability, all the Apple Store sites I went to (England, France, Germany) are down for 'scheduled maintenance'. A good bet will be that they're updating the sites with the new portables content...

MACALEX  (op)
Oct 16, 2001, 12:03 PM

<STRONG>Thanks MACALEX . I know the big price difference hurts sales in Australia. I didn't know if you had to deal with that in Russia.</STRONG>
Yep, it's the same here. I was working for RUI Apple Computer IMC (distributor Apple in CIS republics) as Technical Manager. So, I know that actually prices is high in Europe as well.
I always say people here that it's a brand name and it's works sometimes. Most of the people in Russia use PC made in China, so you could imagine the price for that piece of junk, but in Russia we also have really cheap RAM, for example now 256Mb RAM for iBook, PowerBook cost - $80

ibookmark
Oct 16, 2001, 12:08 PM

<STRONG>

And so you are right. The attitude has been put away again.

iBookMark - Has Cincy gotten it's Apple Store yet?

And MACALEX, my apologies. I did come off too strong in my posts. Enjoy the new G4. As for European availability, all the Apple Store sites I went to (England, France, Germany) are down for 'scheduled maintenance'. A good bet will be that they're updating the sites with the new portables content...</STRONG>
Last time I was in Kenwood Towne Center (about two weeks ago) it was still boarded up with "Coming Soon" on it. But it is coming and thats nice to know. I typically use Microcenter Mall, but now that I am back in grad school completing my doc. I am going to take advantage of an ed discount (g4 tower here I come!)

[ 10-16-2001: Message edited by: ibookmark ]

IUJHJSDHE
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2001, 12:12 PM

one thing still puzzels me,

If you did not like the upgrade to the tibook why did you post your problem here?

pscates
Oct 16, 2001, 12:15 PM

The new iBook is EVERYTHING I expected...and wanted. And for what it is and for the market it's aimed at, it's perfect.

Everybody shut up already and quick clogging up an iBook thread with stuff that doesn't belong here. There's a place called The Lounge for you to bitch, moan, argue and whine about the world.

The new iBooks are great.

MACALEX  (op)
Oct 16, 2001, 12:19 PM

Originally posted by pscates:
<STRONG>The new iBook is EVERYTHING I expected...and wanted. And for what it is and for the market it's aimed at, it's perfect.

Everybody shut up already and quick clogging up an iBook thread with stuff that doesn't belong here. There's a place called The Lounge for you to bitch, moan, argue and whine about the world.

The new iBooks are great.</STRONG>
So, where is your arguments that new iBook is great? ;-)
I agree that is great as typewriter.

n1ce
Oct 16, 2001, 12:53 PM

<STRONG>
So, where is your arguments that new iBook is great? ;-)
I agree that is great as typewriter. </STRONG>

This upgrade is a HUGE improvement performance wise - you just have to read the article over at Xlr8yourmac to see the results of an o/c'd ibook 600 w/100mhz bus, very nice indeed

Forum Links
Forum Rules