Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Mold/Mildew on inside back on iPhone 4?

Mold/Mildew on inside back on iPhone 4?
HellionNecrosis
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 4, 2010, 03:03 PM

Anyone have what looks like mold or mildew on the inside back of their iPhone 4. I have babied this thing, no water or moisture to my knowledge one bit. But it does look gross looking at it from the back. Anyone else with this? I am going to be going into an Apple store this weekend, but I really don't wanna hear them say oh you got it wet or anything.
I've cleaned the back of the iPhone but to no luck, its cleary on the inside back of the glass.

Had one of the Dr. on Base take a look at it and he was like wow how the he** did mold/mildew get in there? Cleary he said that is a mold/mildew colony growing in your iPhone. yea FML for me right?
( Last edited by HellionNecrosis; Aug 4, 2010 at 03:26 PM. Reason: added pic)

-Q-
Aug 4, 2010, 03:09 PM

I've not seen (nor heard) of anything like this. I don't see anything like that on mine and it's been regularly exposed to the muggy humidity of Atlanta and the beach over the past month. Very strange. Can you take some photos?

HellionNecrosis  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 4, 2010, 03:27 PM

When I get home today I'll bust out the DSLR and take some better pics.

cgc
Professional Poster
Aug 4, 2010, 03:52 PM

Mmmmm....class action lawsuit... (just kidding)

mkerr64
Senior User
Aug 10, 2010, 12:15 AM

just take it back to apple.
sounds really odd....tho
R.I.P Steve Jobs

zacharace
Aug 10, 2010, 02:57 PM

That's really weird. I even had my iP4 rained on--to the point where it stopped working completely--and it didn't look like that. I'd take it back to Apple.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 10, 2010, 05:09 PM

Probably a broken seal allowing something (moisture/mold) to get behind the glass. That's a manufacturer's defect and Apple will most likely replace it immediately if you bring it in. Of course they'll look to see if the moisture indicator has been tripped, but if you haven't exposed it to water it should be fine.

Forum Links
Forum Rules