Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Any electrical engineers on MacNN? I have a relay question...

Any electrical engineers on MacNN? I have a relay question...
Warhaven
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 8, 2011, 05:46 PM

Okay, so I need this part:
http://www.nteinc.com/relay_web/pdf/R47.pdf

But NTE is backordered by about 6 months. I've tried ordering from several different companies (nobody seems to carry stock?) and they all tell me it's backordered. I can't wait 6 months. We're ordering new laptops and I need to get the laptop carts working again. Can anyone here recommend a compatible part? In fact, I think I could use a relay with slightly more lenience. This is the third relay to die on these carts. I'm wondering if the power draw is too high for these relays, but I'm not an engineer and know next to nothing about amperage and watt not.

See what I did there? lol.

Anyway, thanks for the help.

Warhaven  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 8, 2011, 06:09 PM

I'm looking at this relay...

OMRON ELECTRONIC COMPONENTS|G4B-112T-C-US-AC120|POWER RELAY, SPDT, 120VAC, 20A | Newark.com

Looks like it has a slightly higher tolerance at 20A instead of 15A. What'ya think?

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 8, 2011, 06:12 PM

You didn't specify which one you wanted.
Here's some stock of the R47−1A15−120

NTE ELECTRONICS|R47-1A15-120|RELAY SPST-NO 15AMP 120V | Newark.com

RS Electronics Catalog | R47-1A15-120 (NTE)

Failing that, the best thing you can do is to phone Digikey/Newark/RS Components/Mouser and ask for compatible parts.

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 8, 2011, 06:38 PM

What does the relay do? Does it stay energized all day long, or only for short periods? I'm guessing it stays energized pretty much 24/7, or at least for a whole work day. The thing with relays is that if the coil isn't designed for being energized on the long term, it's going to burn up eventually. The more appropriate part for this application would be a latching relay. Unless the relay is only going bad on one cart and a number of others are working fine, it's a design problem.

But that specific relay shouldn't be a huge problem to find, nor would a suitable substitute. As seanc noted, you could check with those 4 (or other) vendors for a relay that meets the same or higher standards and be just fine. If it wires in with a socket rather than individual slide-on connectors, that may limit your use of alternatives, but probably not by much.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Warhaven  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 8, 2011, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by seanc View Post
You didn't specify which one you wanted.
I need the NTE one, or something compatible. I was asking if the OMRON one was compatible because I've been having a dickens of a time finding a someone who has any NTE's in stock. They've been on backorder from NTE for several months, and NTE tells me it's going to be several months more.

Originally Posted by seanc View Post
Here's some stock of the R47−1A15−120

NTE ELECTRONICS|R47-1A15-120|RELAY SPST-NO 15AMP 120V | Newark.com

RS Electronics Catalog | R47-1A15-120 (NTE)

Failing that, the best thing you can do is to phone Digikey/Newark/RS Components/Mouser and ask for compatible parts.
Thanks for taking the time to reply. I've been doing that all day, and I can't seem to get anyone who can tell me, so I thought I'd ask here. Tried Mouser, Newark, WholsaleElectronics, and Tycho. I'll give DigiKey a call. NTE is back ordered on this particular relay by about six months and none of the distributors seem to have it in stock. Just talked to Newark about 10 minutes ago and same deal. I'll give RS Components a call and confirm they have it in stock.

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
What does the relay do? Does it stay energized all day long, or only for short periods? I'm guessing it stays energized pretty much 24/7, or at least for a whole work day. The thing with relays is that if the coil isn't designed for being energized on the long term, it's going to burn up eventually. The more appropriate part for this application would be a latching relay. Unless the relay is only going bad on one cart and a number of others are working fine, it's a design problem.

But that specific relay shouldn't be a huge problem to find, nor would a suitable substitute. As seanc noted, you could check with those 4 (or other) vendors for a relay that meets the same or higher standards and be just fine. If it wires in with a socket rather than individual slide-on connectors, that may limit your use of alternatives, but probably not by much.
Yeah, all day long. I've always been concerned about these carts because from day one, simply turning the cart on jettisons a few sparks from the switch, which says to me it's either drawing too much current, or there aren't adequate resistors. Our newest Bretford cart (they were here before I started working, so I didn't have a say) doesn't do that and hasn't lost a relay yet. It's a little different in that there's a short delay between powering on and switching between the top and lower racks of laptops. No sparks.

The reason I'm so keen on getting these relays is that Bretford wants to charge $600 for a new timer/PSU assembly. $600 for a whole new assembly when it would cost me $12 to replace the part that's actually failing. Except, if they keep failing on me like this and continue to be this elusive, I may just have to break down and buy the stupid things.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 8, 2011, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Warhaven View Post
I need the NTE one, or something compatible. I was asking if the OMRON one was compatible because I've been having a dickens of a time finding a someone who has any NTE's in stock. They've been on backorder from NTE for several months, and NTE tells me it's going to be several months more.
Ah, but the sheet you attached has 4 different part codes. Do you have a specific part code?

R47−1A15−24
R47−1A15−120
R47−5A15−24
R47−5A15−120
?

NTE Electronics Inc should be the manufacturer of the relay. Newark (Farnell in the UK) are saying they have 17 of the R47−1A15−120 on their website as do RS Electronics (23) (not releated to RS Components as far as I am aware).
Farnell are usually good about keeping stock levels up to date, so I'd be surprised if Newark didn't have that part.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Mar 8, 2011, 11:09 PM

Type the part number into froogle! You will get hits that aren't the traditional electronics distributors, and some of them may have stock.

For instance, putting R47-5A15-120 into froogle gave me this:

NTE R47-5A15-120P General Purpose PC Mount Relay for HVAC & Appliance Controls,SPDT, 15 Amp,120 VAC

Never heard of the place, and their website doesn't directly say they're in stock, but it might be worth a call.

Warhaven  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 11, 2011, 05:37 PM

Thanks for the help. And yes, it's the R47−5A15−120. 5-pin version.

Forum Links
Forum Rules