Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Force drive to mount?

Force drive to mount?
eyadams
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 18, 2011, 12:02 PM

Is there an application or some command-line voodoo to force a drive to mount?

I have a Seagate USB drive that I use for Time Machine. Occasionally the drive doesn't mount after rebooting. I'm not sure why it happens, but it does. Disk Utility can see the drive, and can Verify and Repair it, but refuses to mount it. Even if it finds no errors. You click on "Mount", and it complains that the disk could not be mounted and recommends running the Repair.

The only solution I've found so far is to erase the disk. Which gives me a tense few minutes while I don't have a Time Machine backup available.

So: is there some command line utility or pretty app that will force a drive to mount? I don't think there's anything corrupted with the drive, and I don't think the hardware is failing.

I've searched Google, and found that this used to be a fairly common problem, but haven't found any good solutions.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Aug 18, 2011, 01:11 PM

10.4: A fix for non-mounting USB drives in 10.4.10 - Mac OS X Hints

That's old advice but then your didn't tell us what version of the OS your running.

eyadams  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 18, 2011, 06:58 PM

"didn't tell us what version of the OS your running"

Sorry, should have said. Snow Leopard, with all updates installed, which I think makes it 10.6.8. I'm not at the computer just now, but I'll see if I have the dev tools installed and if that makes a difference.

eyadams  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 12, 2011, 12:45 PM

Quick follow up. While I never figured out how to force a drive to mount, I did figure out why it kept un-mounting in the first place. My Seagate drive is a 2TB drive, and like all external USB drives came formatted for Windows. The problem, it turns out, is that it was partitioned using the "MBR" partition scheme, which theoretically doesn't support drives bigger than 500 MB. I changed the partition scheme to "GUID", and now it doesn't mysteriously un-mount.

So, I still don't know how to force a drive to mount - keyboard commands didn't work, probing with the USB developer tool didn't do it, either.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 12, 2011, 03:06 PM

You can mount disks from the command line with hdiutil (I think) but essentially its no different than Disk Utility so if it fails there its going to fail on CL.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Forum Links
Forum Rules