Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > PowerBook G4 Quality

PowerBook G4 Quality
BeneathHisFeet
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2001, 03:22 PM

I've seen a lot of posts about poor screens and/or DVD drives in the PowerBook G4. I'm sure that the people posting this info truly have issues with their 'Books, but I just wanted to post a message saying that these problems are not universal. My company has 2 PowerBook G4s, both BTO from the Apple Store (a 400 and a 500). They are flawless. Zero dead or stuck pixels. Insertion and ejection works perfectly from the slot-loading drive.

If your PowerBook G4 works well--or is messed up--please post here so people considering a purchase have something to go on.

drainyoo
Senior User
Feb 21, 2001, 03:35 PM

My ti is fine. no dead pixels no stuck pixels. my drive makes a little noise but thats it. its worth every penny

------------------
Love is suicide
i hate project managers.

PowerBookDude
Feb 21, 2001, 03:47 PM

Originally posted by BeneathHisFeet:
I've seen a lot of posts about poor screens and/or DVD drives in the PowerBook G4. I'm sure that the people posting this info truly have issues with their 'Books, but I just wanted to post a message saying that these problems are not universal. My company has 2 PowerBook G4s, both BTO from the Apple Store (a 400 and a 500). They are flawless. Zero dead or stuck pixels. Insertion and ejection works perfectly from the slot-loading drive.

If your PowerBook G4 works well--or is messed up--please post here so people considering a purchase have something to go on.
What color is the border? White or grey?

------------------
Ti 500/384/20/Airport

BeneathHisFeet  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2001, 03:52 PM

The border around the keyboard is the same color as the sides, a ligher metallic shade (certainly not white). I hate to call it grey because of the metallic shine. It is very stricking, and the photos you see online do not do it justice.

The Display will not swing much passed 90 degrees though.

fobside
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2001, 03:55 PM

wont go past 90 degrees? so its perpendicular to whatever surface you have it on? that might be kind of annoying.

------------------
I used to use a PC.

collectspace
Feb 21, 2001, 04:10 PM

When I first got my Ti, I had the same problem -- the display would only move to a 90 degree angle with the keyboard. I was met with so much resistance trying to push farther that I thought I would break the hinges if I tried (having owned a Wallstreet previously, I was very wary of breaking any hinges <G> )

In reality, I just needed to apply some pressure and loosen the hinges. Now I can move the screen past the 90 degree mark. Just make sure the nob (which you use to secure on the "yo yo" adapter) on the power plug is not in the way.

BeneathHisFeet  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2001, 05:05 PM

Thanks collectspace, the hinge thing works...

seb2
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 21, 2001, 07:29 PM

my ti is great, too.

in fact, it's so good that those assembly workers in taiwan have been playing with it for over a month now... ;-)

nope, haven't yet received it...

Aykew
Feb 21, 2001, 08:55 PM

Got mine today, and everything works great! No DVD problem, no stuck pixels, no marks on the screen from the keyboard, or screen angle problems. The bottom lid aligns perfectly! I think the time between the first few units and this one has really made a difference. Now that the DVD problem is officially recognized by Apple, I doubt they'd let one roll out the door without checking (or at least being reasonably sure it works due to a change in assembly proceedure0\). After all, that isn't the kind of press Apple needs right now.

I must say that putting the airport card in and replacing the hard drive has to be the toughest upgrade I've ever done on a Mac product. I've only been using them since the Gossamer G3's, so I don't know what it used to be like. However, everything is packed in so tightly, there's hardly even any room for the wire connecting the airport card to the antennas! Aligning those damn little rubber rings on the hard drive mount wasn't fun. The lid went back on with perfect alignment, but it took me about 15 minutes to do it! Sheesh!

However, it's all worth it. I love this thing. I am now the envy of my peers, and if that isn't worth $2600, I don't know what is.

[This message has been edited by Aykew (edited 02-21-2001).]

BeneathHisFeet  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 22, 2001, 11:48 AM

How about AirPort? I've seen lots of reports of poor AirPort reception, but my TiBooks are great. I have a good frame of reference, with serveral iBooks and Pismos in the company.

jmatero
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 22, 2001, 01:14 PM

The only issue we're having here with our 2 400mhz units is with static shock. If you get a shock by coming in contact with the unit anywhere north of the handrests, the computer freezes (have to hard restart).

I guess this is pretty common, so I'm not sure there is much that can be done shy of a static-mat but that's a pain in the ass when you want to type in bed or anywhere for that matter... now you have to bring a mat and your laptop. As for quality, I'm concerned about the long-term issue with this static.

New PBG4 User
Feb 22, 2001, 01:31 PM

I got a PBG4-500 model last Saturday. I have no DVD issue, no dead pixels.

What I do have a problem with is hard lockups. Since last Saturday, the computer has locked up on me at least 7 times. The mouse doesn't move, only the 3 finger salute works. I've reset PRAM (whatever that is) and rebuilt the desktop, but the problem is still there.

I've run the hardware check program and it says there are no problems (extended test only, didn't run the quick test). I posted on Apple's support forum, and someone said to use the software restore CD. Will using this CD wipe my hard drive? I ask because I've taken some notes, and can't lose them, and I haven't figured out how to network to my win98 pc.

If you have any suggestions, please post here or email me at [email protected].

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I love this computer, but I need it to be stable.

Thanks for the help.

mycatsnameis
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 22, 2001, 02:19 PM

I posted a similar thread about PB whinners on AI. I also have a stock 400 with no screen, DVD or keyboard issues. It's just a great computer. I am starting to notice faint marks on teh screen though, apparently this is made worse if you close the lid while the computer is still hot but I'm not 100% sure about this.

What color is the border? White or grey?
It is a bright silver colour, same metallic sheen as the rest of the case just lighter. It is a beautiful accent colour, nothing more.

The Display will not swing much passed 90 degrees though.
This is wrong. The diplay is built to swing to ~150-160 degrees (hey I haven't got a protractor here but it's somewhere in that ball park). It is impossible for the power cable (or any other cable for that matter) to interfere with the hinges since they are situated well above all the inputs at the back.

The only issue we're having here with our 2 400mhz units is with static shock. If you get a shock by coming in contact with the
unit anywhere north of the handrests, the computer freezes (have to hard restart).

I guess this is pretty common,
I have had no static problems and I disagree that this is common (just like I disagree that the DVD thing is common, you just here about it b/c it's a glitch and a potentially serious one). I don't work in a static free env't but I haven't noticed any problems like this (and I've tried to replicate it following Dan Knight's detailed instructions). I did get a "shock" from the Ti the first time I fired it up after pulling it out of the box but since then, nothing.

What I do have a problem with is hard lockups. Since last Saturday, the computer has locked up on me at least 7 times. The mouse
doesn't move, only the 3 finger salute works. I've reset PRAM (whatever that is) and rebuilt the desktop, but the problem is still
there.

The lock ups sound a bit weird, what software have you installed (there's a known issue b/w iTunes and UMAX scanner software for e.g.). I would look very carefully for a software conflict. It doens't sound like a hardware problem to me, probably an OS 9.1 thing.

catman

New PBG4 User
Feb 22, 2001, 02:39 PM

The first time it happened was while installing iTunes on a vanilla+airport setup.
Second time it happened was with as above with iTunes, just while moving downloaded files off of the desktop and into a new folder.
I can't remember the rest, but I have a vanilla+airport (airport works great) and MSOffice2001. There is nothing else on it.

I do want to know if I can reinstall OS w/o wiping HD (don't care if I have to reinstall apps, just don't want to lose data) since I don't have a way to save files externally.

jmatero
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 22, 2001, 03:16 PM

First, the computer only locks up (static issue) if you get the shock near the speakers or above the keyboard. Now, I've read about this on numerous boards and I find it quite unusual that BOTH of our systems here at the office have THE SAME ISSUE. I got mine at CompUSA here in Connecticut and my co-worker got his at CompUSA in California a week before me.

As for installing your software without wiping the hard drive...

Yes, you can. Boot up from your restore cd (insert the cd, shut down the computer... then, hold down the "c" key while booting up until you see the happy mac) and follow the instructions... you'll have the option of performing what is known as a "Clean Install".

What this does is install a new system folder on your hard drive but leaves the rest untouched. (Your old system folder is renamed "previous system folder")

[This message has been edited by jmatero (edited 02-22-2001).]

collectspace
Feb 22, 2001, 04:48 PM

Originally posted by mycatsnameis:
It is impossible for the power cable (or any other cable for that matter) to interfere with the hinges since they are situated well above all the inputs at the back.
This is incorrect. The power cable has a "nob" which is used to secure the (wound) cable to the adapter. This nob is tall enough that, if positioned correctly, can block the screen from extending past 90 degrees. I have it configured as such as I write this.

Of course, the solution is to simply rotate the plug to move the nob out of the way.

mycatsnameis
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 22, 2001, 05:55 PM

Unless the tolerances for our machines are very different, I think you'll find that when the "nob" is up (i.e. at 12 o'clock) that the power cable is not in fact engaged in the socket.

I can arrange the plug in this way (and it does interfere with the screen getting past 90 degrees) but it is non functional in this config, i.e. the Ti is running on battery power.

You can't even get the plug to fully engage in this way when the screen is closed b/c the hinges are external and over hang the power adapter socket.

catman

collectspace
Feb 22, 2001, 07:09 PM

Originally posted by mycatsnameis:
Unless the tolerances for our machines are very different, I think you'll find that when the "nob" is up (i.e. at 12 o'clock) that the power cable is not in fact engaged in the socket.
You are correct. If the "nob" is at 12 o'clock, then it is indeed unplugged. However, it need not be vertical to block movement of the screen. If I set the nob at 10:00 o'clock (with the Powerbook facing towards me), I can no longer move the screen past 90 degrees. The nob must be at 9:00 (or earlier) to allow movement.

greggers
Forum Regular
Feb 22, 2001, 07:25 PM

My ti, surprisingly, is AGING nicely. Originally the the DVD/ cd would get caught---no more. I used to have trouble with the latch, but now it moves cleanly in and out of it's little hole.

Only thing is that my roomate picked it up with his thumb and forefinger on the side of the machine while it was open. It bent the lighter colored border in a little. It seems like only I notice it though...

and there is a blue pixel that shows up on a black background, at lower resolutions it seems. I haven't noticed it on black any other times...

It sits so serenely. Who could hate it??
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Just out for a drive.............

diginerdz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 22, 2001, 07:41 PM

Dead Pixel -Red
Keys touch the screen.

You might want to examine your screen a little closer (use LCD Tester)....a screen this size is bound to have one (according to Apple's policy)

mrmuzik

gr8tfly
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 23, 2001, 01:52 AM

Another good one! TiBook 500 - no dead pixels (checked w/ LCDTest), DVD works just fine. Don't know about kybd contact, yet.

BTW: has anyone noticed a soft hissing sound coming from the left spkr area? It's not actually in the audio channel, at least not with headphones.

splyn
Feb 23, 2001, 08:36 AM

where can i find this LCD tester?

------------------
im feeling a lot more like i do now than i did when i first got here
im feeling a lot more like i do now than i did when i first got here

BeneathHisFeet  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 23, 2001, 11:56 AM

I use TechTool Pro and MacTest Pro to test all screens--LCD or CRT. MacTest Pro is made by Apple and on the MTP CD there are several utlities (made by Apple also) that allow you to put patterns and solid colors up on a screen. On my TiBooks there are ZERO dead or stuck pixels in ANY color or pattern.

I'm an Apple Certified Technician and I'm trianed to test these things.

;-)

PBG4 User
Senior User
Feb 23, 2001, 01:53 PM

I have reinstalled the OS using the "clean install" described. Since then I haven't had a lockup yet

I used LCD Tester on my screen, and cycled through all the available colors. I couldn't spot any dead pixels.
20" iMac G5! :D AND MacBook 1.83GHz!
Canon Digital Rebel Kit + 75 - 300mm lens. Yum Yum! :D
Check out my OS X Musical Scales program

Forum Links
Forum Rules