Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > DuPont bringing wireless charging to kitchen countertops

DuPont bringing wireless charging to kitchen countertops
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Jun 27, 2013, 03:58 PM

DuPont Building Innovations has joined the Power Matters Alliance (PMA) and is working with other PMA members on wireless charging solutions for smartphones and tablets that can be effectively integrated into worktops made with DuPont Corian solid surface, such as that found in the kitchen and bathroom.

"The next phase in wireless power is seeing it embedded into surfaces used for furnishing solutions," said Ron Resnick, President of PMA. "The collaboration between PMA and DuPont Building Innovations marks another step forward in the PMA's vision to make smart wireless power a ubiquitous part of our lives."

PMA was founded by Powermat Technologies and Procter & Gamble in 2012. A wide array of PMA-compliant products are available at leading retailers, and compatible "wireless charging spots" have been installed at airports, stadiums, restaurants, gyms, and other public locations.

( Last edited by NewsPoster; Jun 27, 2013 at 05:14 PM. )

pottymouth
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 27, 2013, 04:41 PM

Hey, that's pretty awesome.

Flying Meat
Senior User
Jun 27, 2013, 05:44 PM

This on that:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inductive_charging

Lower efficiency (more electricity)
Less flexible for usage during charging

Plus, I'd guess, that thing has to always be on, drawing power (more electricity). I guess you could have the contractor install an on/off switch...

Raman
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2013, 10:16 AM

@flying meat - I'd think they'd have some sort of electronic sensor that can sense how much power is being used adjust up or down to nearly off, accordingly? Dunno.

Honestly, I wouldn't want to install 2013 technology into my kitchen (which might get updated every 10-20 years). Imagine walking into a house you're buying today and they have old 1983 technology in the kitchen. Like one of those new fangled microwave ovens.

Forum Links
Forum Rules