Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Official Apple stats put iOS 8 adoption at 46 percent of devices

Official Apple stats put iOS 8 adoption at 46 percent of devices
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Sep 23, 2014, 09:45 AM

New data from Apple -- based on Sunday traffic at the App Store -- indicates that iOS 8 adoption is actually up to 46 percent of iOS devices, despite lower numbers tracked by third-party firms. Apple's figures put iOS 7 at 49 percent, and iOS 6 or earlier at 5 percent. iOS 8 became available for compatible devices on September 17th, and is pre-installed on the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus, which launched Friday.

While no unexpected problems with the firmware have been reported so far, there are fundamental obstacles to adoption for some users. Devices like the iPhone 4 and fourth-generation iPod touch are completely unable to upgrade; the iPhone 4S and iPad 2 can make the leap, but may be too slow. On any device, the iOS 8 installation can demand several gigabytes' worth of temporary space if it's not done through iTunes.

HappyPhil
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 23, 2014, 04:36 PM

I upgraded an iPhone 5c from iOS 7 to 8 using iTunes and my MacBook Pro. Took less than an hour. The new version still has the industrial hard to see interface as 7. iOS 8 comes with several social share with friends and family that took about 10 minutes to turn off, as did turning off notifications for everything but phone and messages. I don't have any stuff that uses the Health interface, so when all the upgrade fiddling and personalizing was done, my iPhone is much the same as it was with iOS 7. ( I should mention that I have kept iOS 6 on my iPod touch instead of 7 and 8, because I like the easy to read interface with skew-morphing. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules