Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Apple releases simultaneous OS X 10.10.1, iOS 8.1.1 updates

Apple releases simultaneous OS X 10.10.1, iOS 8.1.1 updates
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Nov 17, 2014, 03:13 PM

Apple has released simultaneous updates for OS X Yosemite and iOS 8. OS X 10.10.1 for Mac copes mainly with significant bugs, such as a glitch with Wi-Fi that would cause a system to repeatedly disconnect. It also solves problems with sending Mail messages, displayed updates at the Mac App Store, Mac minis not waking from sleep, and disappearing items like Actions, sharing services, and Notification Center widgets.

For enterprise users, it copes with Remote Desktop updates being offered when the latest version is already downloaded. The one feature addition in the update lets people append search domains for partially-qualified domain names when running DNS lookups.

The mobile-oriented iOS 8.1.1 is purely focused on bugfixes, with the only specifically-identified change being better performance on the iPhone 4S and the iPad 2. To go with this, Apple has released new Apple TV firmware, v7.0.2; the set-top's software is based on the iOS code.

The OS X 10.10.1 update can be downloaded through the Mac App Store, while iOS 8.1.1 is available via iTunes or as an over-the-air upgrade.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Nov 18, 2014 at 05:25 AM. )

bobolicious
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 17, 2014, 09:30 PM

...on the subject of 'upgrades' , why does safari not allow private browsing as a persistent preference...?

Is duckduckgo simply window dressing in exchange for inadvertent release in relaunching of full browsing history...?

Is iCloud becoming more & more like spamware, with ubiquitous requests to sign in, not to mention an endless eula...? What percentage of users read & fully understand such terms?

While there may be some benefits I have to ask if apple has set a new privacy low with yosemite...?

HappyPhil
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 18, 2014, 12:17 AM

If you like social networks being part of your computer experience, then you are loving the post Steve Jobs Apple products. If you find Mavericks and Yosemite to to be anti-creative and non Apple like, you are not alone. I recommend throwing away any drives infected with Mavericks or Yosemite and doing a clean install of Mountain Lion on a new HD. Use the legacy iWork Apps, (Blue ink bottle Pages icon era) and no iTunes past the blue iTunes Logo. If you have been using Time Machine, go back in time and get your favorite Apps with the versions that work best for you. Turn off updates and enjoy the magic of Mac computing as it was meant to be.

DiabloConQueso
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 18, 2014, 09:40 AM

I dunno, it's working for me.

Makes me wonder sometimes if people hop into rental cars and go, "The steering wheel is a different color! The radio knobs are in slightly different positions! The door handles are shaped all weird! The key goes into the ignition at a different angle! I CAN'T DRIVE THIS THING AT ALL! GET OUT WHILE YOU CAN! BACK TO THE MODEL T!"

Forum Links
Forum Rules