Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Follow-up: Marriott caves, scuttles Wi-Fi blocking scheme

Follow-up: Marriott caves, scuttles Wi-Fi blocking scheme
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Jan 15, 2015, 01:55 AM

Back in October, Marriott International settled with the US Federal Communications Commission (FCC) to the tune of $600,000 for a complaint dating back to March that involved the blocking personal Wi-Fi hotspots at a Marriott resort in Nashville. It later, along with other hotels, petitioned the FCC to allow it the right to kick off hotspots. Today, the hotel chain released a statement that seems to indicate it will be backing down from the policy.

The terse statement says simply, "Marriott International listens to its customers, and we will not block guests from using their personal Wi-Fi devices at any of our managed hotels. Marriott remains committed to protecting the security of Wi-Fi access in meeting and conference areas at our hotels. We will continue to look to the FCC to clarify appropriate security measures network operators can take to protect customer data, and will continue to work with the industry and others to find appropriate market solutions that do not involve the blocking of Wi-Fi devices."

Marriott has always held the position that its policy to block personal Wi-Fi networks provided by mobile hotspots or tethering phones was to "secure" its networks and protect customer data. The rationale was disbelieved by most customers, even though there are some scenarios where blocking would be justified, such as reselling access to a for-pay Wi-Fi network or causing interference with the operation of hotel services. Customers, apparently, felt the ploy was a money grab to force use of a given hotel's for-pay Wi-Fi services.

The comment in Marriott's statement about continuing to look to the FCC could be a reference to the petition submitted by Marriott, Hilton, and an association of hotel owners back in August requesting permission to do exactly what they were being sued by the FCC at the time for doing - blocking personal Wi-Fi hotspots created by cell phones. The petition, RM-11737, is still receiving fillings from individuals and "interested parties," but the statement from Marriott would suggest that it, at least, has received customer backlash over the publicity generated by the petition.

ElectroTech
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 15, 2015, 02:18 AM

I have despised Marriott for several years because they rip off customers over WiFi. It costs them so little and yet they charge so much and try to stop us from using our own services. I am amazed that they didn't stop cell phone use years ago and force us to use their internal telephone system at a buck a call.

Inkling
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 15, 2015, 10:53 AM

Marriott must have forgot how politics in Chicago works. If they'd just slipped a bit of money into the pockets of a few key people in the Obama administration, all would be OK. In Chicago, the game is "pay to play," although in this case that's better described as "pay to block."
Author of Untangling Tolkien and Chesterton on War and Peace

climacs
Senior User
Jan 15, 2015, 10:59 AM

one of the hallmark symptoms of Obama Derangement Syndrome is the belief that all topics of discussion are only one degree of separation from the patient's irrational and bitter obsession with fear and loathing of the president. You too can get help for ODS. Just dial 1-800-IMA-NUTJOB.

prl99
Senior User
Jan 15, 2015, 11:06 AM

Marriott seems to forget that the airwaves do not belong to the property owner, they are free to use by everyone. The only justification they could make for banning cellular use, with or without WiFi use, is corporate security (they don't have anything worth stealing) or danger caused by cellular signals (detonators used for explosives, not happening in a normal hotel). Otherwise, I can use my cell phone anywhere I want to, except during a copyrighted performance but that's only for photos and audio capturing.

elroth
Forum Regular
Jan 15, 2015, 08:25 PM

I stay at Marriott Towne Place Suites all the time, and I get free Wi-Fi no problem. Is it only higher-end Marriotts that charge?

Grendelmon
Senior User
Jan 16, 2015, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by climacs View Post
one of the hallmark symptoms of Obama Derangement Syndrome is the belief that all topics of discussion are only one degree of separation from the patient's irrational and bitter obsession with fear and loathing of the president. You too can get help for ODS. Just dial 1-800-IMA-NUTJOB.
That made me chuckle.

Forum Links
Forum Rules