Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Where are our Pismo Upgrades?

Where are our Pismo Upgrades?
BillStevenson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 25, 2001, 12:18 PM

I've had my Pismo/500 for a while and am getting antsy for the announcement of either a high speed G3 or preferably G4 upgrade for it. Does anyone think that such a think will be developed? I know that it probably gets harder to make upgrades with each new model that Apple releases (The girlfriend wants to bring her G3/500 iMac to a G4 too- while there are G4's for RevA-D, there isn't one for hers [Graphite] yet). Should we get on Sonnet/Newer/PowerLogix's case to get their collective butts in gear on a solution? I am sure that the first to bring a solution to market will be inundated with orders. Anyone know anything?

jazz man
May 26, 2001, 01:22 AM

Sonnet are anouncing G4 powerbook upgrades at the NYC Mac Show in July

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
May 26, 2001, 03:10 AM

Well, the most effective thing you can do is e-mail the upgrade companies and show that you are interested in a G4 upgrade for your current PowerBook.

I drop them a line every time I get a chance.

Fyre4ce
Mac Elite
May 26, 2001, 11:36 PM

Stupid question: what do you do with your old processor module?

------------------
Fyre4ce

"I need a vacation." - Terminator robot
Fyre4ce

Let it burn.

Lertsiri Boonmee
May 27, 2001, 12:24 AM

I can understand the need for upgrade items for the Pismo, since I also have the Pismo 500 DV G3. But then again I wouldn't dare rip up my waranty and the apple care program that I'm planning to purchase for it soon. I think that upgrading would make the thing unstable especially with a G4 emitting heat. I'll just have to save up money for a G4 Rev 2 Ti Powerbook instead. At least all the design was thought out by the Apple people.

haunebu
Dedicated MacNNer
May 28, 2001, 09:24 AM

Originally posted by Fyre4ce:
Stupid question: what do you do with your old processor module?

You'll most likely send them in to the upgrade company for a big rebate. That's the only way upgrade manufacturers ensure themselves a steady flow of Apple daughtercards (which include the necessary boot ROM), which they then re-manufacture with the new processor on it.

t_hah
Mac Elite
May 28, 2001, 01:45 PM

I understand that you are waiting for an upgrade...but I think it is a bit early still.
The Pismo you have is 500MHz. I know it is a G3, but in many apps it is just as good as a G4 (at least right now).
The Ti that just came out is 500 MHz as well. I don't thnk that the companies making upgrades will come out with a card for the Pismo for a while....at least till there isn't a bigger difference in the CPU speeds.

t

Dan Szwarc
Senior User
May 28, 2001, 06:55 PM

ISn't the G3 topped out at 600Mhz right now? While I'd like to drop a G4 into my Pismo, I won't do it unless it 700Mhz or faster. I just don't think that a 500Mhz G4 would be worth the $1000+ cost of an upgrade module.

As for the old module, there are a lot of pismo 400's out there who might appreciate a bargain priced 500 module for just that extra boost.

Are you listening, Sonnet?
Dan
"I guarantee that I am correct."
(not a guarantee)

PeteL999
Mac Enthusiast
May 28, 2001, 08:01 PM

on a side note, there will never be a proc upgrade for your girlfriend's iMac the proc is soldered to the logic board on it
Are you or are you not the black angel of death

Fyre4ce
Mac Elite
May 28, 2001, 08:36 PM

originally posted by Dan Szwarc:
As for the old module, there are a lot of pismo 400's out there who might appreciate a bargain priced 500 module for just that extra boost.
HeII yeah! In fact, if there's anyone in these forums willing to organize a cash-assisted swap, please email me an offer. I'd like to have a 500 Mhz CPU!

[EDIT: screwed up tags]

------------------
Fyre4ce

"I need a vacation." - Terminator robot

[This message has been edited by Fyre4ce (edited 05-28-2001).]
Fyre4ce

Let it burn.

BillStevenson  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 29, 2001, 05:17 AM

on a side note, there will never be a proc upgrade for your girlfriend's iMac the proc is soldered to the logic board on i

The bastards! While I understand that they like to make money off of hardware (and that is where they make most of their cash), I am somewhat disappointed that they would sink so low as to solder on the processor. They probably even screw some of them up when they make them, but do it anyway to make more dough. Grr. I suppose the fishtank thing is another thought, though that looks better in ruby than graphite

chingwei
May 29, 2001, 12:32 PM

Hi everyone, this is my first ever macnn post! (Thanks torifile!)

Anyway, thought you might like to see the official response of PowerLogix when I emailed them about the possibility of a Pismo CPU upgrade. Doesn't sound like they have definite plans at this point...or at least nothing they can go public with...

>Good morning.
>
>Thank you for your interest in the PowerLogix BlueChip family of
>processor upgrades for Apple PowerBooks. While it is certainly
>PowerLogix's goal to offer an upgrade solution for every PowerBook
>owner, at this time we do not have a product for Pismo PowerBooks.
>Please keep checking back on our website for announcements of new
>products as they become available.
>
>http://www.powerlogix.com
>
>Sincerely,
>
>Steve

>>Hi,
>>
>>I was just wondering if you had any plans to make a CPU upgrade for the
>>"Pismo" G3 PowerBooks (the 2000 models, with firewire) any time in the
>>future?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Ching-WEi Chen

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
May 29, 2001, 04:06 PM

Jazz man wrote:
Sonnet are anouncing G4 powerbook upgrades at the NYC Mac Show in July
Jazz man, where did you get this info? I can't find anything anywhere

------------------
#ex-dotcom#
weird wabbit

matrk
May 30, 2001, 12:31 AM

for me, the problem of any potential upgrade to G4 chips is going to be (a) power consumption/battery life; (b) ratio of speed improvement.
if the first challenge is solved by lower-powered but faster G3 chips, say 700mhz, i'd consider it for my pismo500. Similarly, a g4/500 wouldn't be bad. But at what cost to this pismo's (fairly good) battery life??
i think it will be tough to engineer an upgrade that offers enough boost at a decent price, especially since newer 'books will continue to get cheaper...

jakudaret
May 31, 2001, 09:38 AM

Indeed, a low-power but fast G3 upgrade, e.g., 700-800Mhz, would be a great way to keep pismo on the cutting edge until G4 powerbooks reach 700Mhz.

bstone
Mac Elite
May 31, 2001, 09:51 AM

<<on a side note, there will never be a proc upgrade for your girlfriend's iMac the proc is soldered to the logic board>>

Yeah, and just like how Apple told us the origional iMac wasn't upgradable, and the Performa 6400 with a soldered processor chip also wasn't upgradable- but they made a G3 upgrade anyways using the L2 slot!

Accordingly, I do not belive it.

Dr Stone
Emergency Medicine & Urgent Care.

Forum Links
Forum Rules