Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Living With: iTunes

Living With: iTunes
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
May 20, 2015, 07:25 AM

I can see me doing this now, ripping a track off a CD of mine for the very first time. I was in my living room, it was Orinoco Flow by Enya, and I was ripping it onto my PowerBook G3. Can't quite tell you when it was, can't even be sure that iTunes existed then, but I remember how peculiarly, deliciously weird it felt having that music continue playing after I took the CD out.

The most likely time was the late 1990s, which would put it before iTunes's release in 2001, but I think it's telling that I have not one single clue what in the world I used to rip that track, or to play it back with. I just remember feeling forced to catch up with all this ripping lark because my PowerBook G3 had stopped playing CDs. It would load them, I could rip this one, but it wouldn't play, and at the time I really needed the book of CDs I'd carry around with me.

I think it was my PowerBook nudging me into the future, because after I'd ripped Orinoco Flow, the CD drive started playing again. Whatever it was that went wrong, it went wrong for a week, and then went right again all by itself -- but it was too late. I never again carried that book with its protective CD sleeves. I've still got it somewhere if you want it.

Whatever I used, doubtlessly I grabbed iTunes when it came out. That means this is the 14th year I've been using this application; I'm not sure there is anything else I've used that long, apart from Mail.

It also means that I rather grew up with iTunes: I was there from the start, and that that makes a big difference. I may not remember exactly when certain features were added, but to me, that's what they were: an addition. Usually a very useful addition, if sometimes an expensive one, like the iTunes Store.

If you come to iTunes now, though, I can see that it is a mass of functions and confusion. The music player is now where you also buy movies, it's where you had to plug your iPhone in, but now not unless you want to. You can download iOS apps to it, but can't do anything with them. You cannot download Mac apps to iTunes, even though you could use those -- you have to go through the separate Mac App Store for that.

So I get it. When people complain that iTunes is a mess, I get it. I can't disagree, yet I do disagree, and I still like iTunes. Maybe I'm just too nice: I like iTunes Radio too, and truly can't fathom why I read about it being so bad it must die.

Speaking of iTunes Radio, though, if you want to make iTunes even more of an incomprehensible mess, get yourself two iTunes accounts. Preferably a US and a UK one. It's difficult to do, and a true bag of wrenches on your head when you have them both, because you and iTunes will both go cross-eyed. Yet overall, it's been worth it to me because I'm in the UK, where iTunes Radio has yet to launch at all. Plus, the US iTunes Store has a lot more free material: come September and the TV season, it regularly puts pilot episodes out for nothing. I cannot tell you how much money I've spent following series that I initially saw that free pilot. I'm looking at you, Leverage.

It's iTunes Radio that got me into streaming: then it is specifically how iTunes Radio won't let you specifiy an album or an artist (unless you have iTunes Match) that got me looking at Pandora and Spotify and the rest. I'm not at the stage where I'm sufficiently into this to pick a service and pay a subscription, but it is iTunes Radio that opened me up to the idea, and it is iTunes Radio that introduced me to some new music.

Consequently, I now go in waves of looking for new material and retreating back into my own collection. I've recently had to research alternative music players, and there's a lot to like in them, but the real result has been that I've rediscovered my own music.

My library has 10,248 songs. That's not a fair count, because I have a lot of Doctor Who radio dramas in that, plus a lot of interviews I've recorded. Today I don't use iTunes for any audio work, because I can do all I need through my various audio recording and editing apps, but over the years I've accrued a lot of telephone interview tracks. I should do something about that. Yet weeding through your iTunes library isn't a lot of fun.

Especially not when you see how many tracks don't have any artwork. I've gone through phases of working hard to fill in those gaps through various utilities, through iTunes's own artwork features, I've even grabbed JPEGs and scans and run them through Photoshop to get the size right. I have no idea how I found the time, and I can see that I plainly didn't find enough time, as there are still so many toothless gaps.

That bugs me. It bugs me a lot when an album contains one track with a guest artist and now that's treated as a separate album. That's not iTunes's fault per se, it's more to do with how someone has entered the CD's details in the Gracenote CD database, but iTunes uses that database.

Still, iTunes also uses Smart Playlists, and I have a lot of these. A lot. I'm a bit patchy over it, but I have often created a list that just includes any track added this year. So I have a 2010 playlist, for instance, and it is entertaining to see what I added then, what I've come to love from then, and what I've come to forget. It falls down a bit because 2010's list includes a lot of those interviews, and that's not fun on shuffle.

Mind you, the number of times iTunes has shuffled from Bruce Springsteen into Act 2 of the BBC Radio 4 production of King Lear is startling, and I do like that.

I also like telling iTunes to give me an hour's worth of music that I haven't played in a year. I like taking a lunch break and watching an episode of Lou Grant. I don't like that the iTunes Store holds only the first three seasons of that show, but there has literally been no other way to get even that number of episodes of this series.

I don't like that I have to think now about whether I should back up my iPad to iTunes on my Mac or solely through the cloud. I have never in my life found any use whatsoever for the thing where it will display pretty light patterns as you listen. I didn't find any use for Ping when that came and went.

Yet iTunes is where I turn to, it is where my music lives. In researching alternatives and testing a new product lately, I had reason to dig out some old CDs, and it happened again. Enya's album is long gone, but I held Suzanne Vega's first album in my hand and it felt weird. Good weird, but weird. I had originally bought that album on vinyl, then I had bought it again on CD. Yet now the concept that music ever came in a physical form is peculiar.

For me, that's entirely because of iTunes.

-- William Gallagher (@WGallagher)
( Last edited by NewsPoster; May 31, 2015 at 04:34 AM. )

BenThomas
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 20, 2015, 01:14 PM

iTunes is still my goto app for music ripping and syncing. I use it all day long to listen to music to work and I find it's easy to manage my collection.

I haven't transitioned to streaming music because I like the idea of collecting music then listening to it one album at a time. Maybe that's why iTunes suits me... I don't know but I don't understand the haters.

When I got my first iPhone I thought syncing my music from iTunes "just works" and think people deride it because they just need to hate something.

So since 2010 I've been syncing music to my iPhone with iTunes then more recently to an iPad too. The iPhone music app definitely did not suit my use case though. I wanted something that was easy to use in the car and could start playing albums and podcasts with less taps and with nice big gesture controls so I taught myself iOS development and made a free app, then a paid iPhone app, even more recently I've built a universal app but all based on the premise that there are people out there like me who like syncing music with iTunes, maybe because they don't have good or cheap 3G to stream music, or just maybe because they like to collect music.

My apps can be viewed at AppStore.com/BenThomas. I won't name them here to try and keep this less spammy. I hope you're happy to leave this link in my post.
( Last edited by BenThomas; May 20, 2015 at 01:16 PM. Reason: Typo and clarify a statement)

The Vicar
Dedicated MacNNer
May 20, 2015, 11:03 PM

Look, let's face it: most of iTunes' problems came about because Apple feels the need to change the interface significantly every few months. The basic feature set hasn't changed in ages — but Apple just loves to hide features which all the users knew how to access before.

It was actually better and more stable back in the days when it was a third-party program called SoundJam. Remember that one?

Forum Links
Forum Rules