Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Who's buying the NEXT PowerBook!???!?

Who's buying the NEXT PowerBook!???!?
jwtseng
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 1, 2002, 02:34 AM

Well, MacWorld Tokyo was a bust for PowerBook hopefuls, so now we fast forward to MWNY In July (3-4 more loooong months away ) After letting a Ti400 pass through my hands (handed down to my bro) and then a Ti667DVD (had it on loan for 3 months or so), I am anxiously awaiting Apple's next greatest thing in that pro powerbook matrix.

There has been a lot of speculation in these forums about the inevitable revision that will make the next Titanium (dare I say it will keep the Ti exterior???) I myself wonder what else they could possibly cram into that svelte little case. All the guesses about screen resolution, graphics power, gigahertz potential, superdrive, battery life, and Airport reception really sound great and I hope there is some truth in some of it.

But are there any other people out there besides myself who really don't care what Apple puts into the next pro powerbook??? Am I the only one who is greasing up the credit card for WHATEVER Apple puts out next? I'm ready. The money's sitting in a cookie jar (okay, it's an interest bearing cookie jar) waiting to be pulled out. C'mon Steve, let's see what you've got...

If you build it, they will come (with credit cards in hand)

Who's coming with me???

PeteWK
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 1, 2002, 02:45 AM

Well, I've been waiting myself. I decided to skip the current generation of Powerbook in favor of the next one. I got a Pismo 4 months before the Ti G4 came out so I'm not too far behind the curve. I'll probably go with whatever they come out with just because (geez, do I really need a reason?).

Funny thing though, I just don't feel deprived at all. When I skipped everything from the 1400 to the Pismo, I was really chomping at the bit. I really needed to make a techno upgrade. The Pismo lacks nothing the Ti offers except a little speed. And need I mention the dual batteries... OK, I don't want to make any of you G4 folks cry.

PeteWK

Camera God
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 1, 2002, 04:37 AM

I don't care what comes out next either. I am going to be working a ton between now and then (whenever that it) so I can save up for it. I am so proud because it will be my first Apple computer!!!! I am going to get the works...biggest HD, most RAM, and fastest processor/fastest bus available. Just to show you how sad I am, I am running a windows machine with a pic of a Ti as my wallpaper.

As far as screen res: I really would not like it to be any better. I don't want to have to bring down the res so I can see stuff. I heard that makes the image fuzzy.

Video card: Just something better than what they have right now. From what I have seen, starcraft looks a little choppy when scrolling over the map quickly.

Processor: Ideally I would like a dual ghz with a 5 hour battery life, but I know that isn't happening. Eh, I guess I think an 800 mhz would do.

But, like I said above I will buy whatever comes out. I am curious to see how others respond.

neilnet
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 1, 2002, 06:14 AM

Hehe - I glanced at this topic and read it as 'Who's buying the NeXT PowerBook!???!?'

Now that I would have to see!

N
I no longer have a signature.

chengjt
Apr 1, 2002, 09:18 AM

I also have been waiting eagerly for the next PB. I won't buy the current Titanium because it's not >2x more powerful than my 400 MHz pismo.

- JT -

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 1, 2002, 09:40 AM

I, for sure, am going to be a buyer of the next PowerBook so long as Apple includes a GeForce4 or a comparable video subsystem and a faster, 800-megahertz G4 or faster.

satchmo
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 1, 2002, 11:14 AM

Can you actually say for sure you're going to buy one without seeing it's design or specs?
I'm hoping to pick one up but can't make a blanket statement like "I'm going to buy one, period."

There are too many variables (for me at least).
For instance,
Would you pay $3999 US for an 800 mhz laptop?
What if it comes only in white?
What if they add a dalmation blue pattern to it? (kidding).
What if the screen resolution stayed the same?

I hope Apple will bring out a competitively price Powerbook (like the iBook), but given it's geared to professionals, I somehow doubt it.

spb
Banned
Apr 1, 2002, 11:39 AM

maybe they should try & integrate some of pismo's features with Ti?

Dual Bays, 2 x FireWire... pismo rox

jwtseng  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 1, 2002, 11:50 AM

OOOooo, an iridescent Flower Power anodized Titanium casing! Now that I will definitely buy!

drsir
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 1, 2002, 02:42 PM

I got my browser and credit card ready to order from Apple store online as soon as it comes out (as long as the cheapest one is not like $3k-$4k).

Can't wait!

Cellery
Mac Elite
Apr 1, 2002, 03:01 PM

I got a Lombard,, skipped the Pismo and first gen TiBooks, and got a Ti667. I'll probably wait until the revision after this upcoming one, when Apple should have a new design with the flaws worked out. MWNY isn't too far away, do you think Apple will keep the current form factor? I'm betting on no, since recently they haven't kept the PowerBook case design for over 2 generations.

k2man
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 1, 2002, 03:01 PM

I'll buy it. I've already come close to getting the 667, but felt it ultimately wasn't a big enough leap from my PIsmo 500. Whatever the new one has in store for us should be enough for me to make the leap.

msykes
Senior User
Apr 1, 2002, 03:21 PM

Originally posted by satchmo:
<STRONG>Can you actually say for sure you're going to buy one without seeing it's design or specs?
I'm hoping to pick one up but can't make a blanket statement like "I'm going to buy one, period."
</STRONG>
Well I for one can make this blanket statement! My Lombard 333 isn't cutting it anymore, I'm desperate for a new 'Book! Not even Blue Dalmation could stop me...

But for everyone sad that they have to wait to MWNY, buck-up, I would say there's a very good chance that it will come out before then. Lombards came out at WWDC, iceBooks came out at a special press event, and even though every mac media outlet doesn't remember, Apple did say they were going to try to introduce products at times OTHER than major trade shows.

Surfer
Forum Regular
Apr 1, 2002, 04:59 PM

I made a rough guess of what the specs will be over here:
http://www.macgo.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=46

Don't know if I am right, but it would be nice if I was!!!

C33
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 1, 2002, 09:56 PM

Originally posted by spb:
<STRONG>maybe they should try & integrate some of pismo's features with Ti?

Dual Bays, 2 x FireWire... pismo rox </STRONG>
oh i would defintely get that. my pismo 400 isn't to shabby. specially with 1GB ram and a 5400rpm hard drive but i probably will add the next Ti to my mac arsenal. i think it would be great if the next Ti is the "Son of Pismo" but i doubt that'll ever happen.

satchmo
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 2, 2002, 12:05 AM

Originally posted by msykes:
<STRONG>I'm desperate for a new 'Book! Not even Blue Dalmation could stop me...
</STRONG>
I'll hold you to that!

Apfhex
Mac Elite
Apr 2, 2002, 12:42 AM

<STRONG>But for everyone sad that they have to wait to MWNY, buck-up, I would say there's a very good chance that it will come out before then. Lombards came out at WWDC, iceBooks came out at a special press event, and even though every mac media outlet doesn't remember, Apple did say they were going to try to introduce products at times OTHER than major trade shows.</STRONG>
Good point. I am going to buy the next reversion of the TiBook whever it comes out. Sooner than MWNY would be a blast, although I can also wait that long if needed (provided my G3 400Mhz doesn't disintegrate itself before then ^_^).

As for specs, I'm hoping for a slightly larger screen res, 800MHz G4 (or higher of course! =p), and a better video card. A superdrive would be nice but I don't really care too much.
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

OzTiBook
Apr 2, 2002, 06:18 AM

Originally posted by Camera God:
<STRONG>As far as screen res: I really would not like it to be any better. I don't want to have to bring down the res so I can see stuff. I heard that makes the image fuzzy.</STRONG>
Not so much fuzzy as it is blurry - think vasoline smeard over the display

Personally I think 1152x768 works very well on the TiBook - running any LCD at anything other than its native res is not really ideal. I dont think it would be very good on the eyes, either.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 2, 2002, 06:29 AM

The current PowerBook is the "Pismo" of the TiBook series, so I think the next 'Book will have a new enclosure and a dramatically altered feature set.

[ 04-02-2002: Message edited by: seanyepez ]

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 2, 2002, 10:58 AM

I am probably going to get the next powerbook but it really does depend on what it will be. I am pretty satisfied with my Pismo, and it will take more than a speedbumped Titanium G4 to get me to buy. I personally think that they have sort of painted themselves into a corner with the tibooks. By limiting themselves to that slim case they have also limited what they can put in it (witness how long it took them to get combo drives to fit in there) and if they go back to a thicker design it wouldn't seem very good from a marketing perspective. I am actually not that crazy about the Tibook design (not knocking it really, but it doesn't do that much for me, and I've heard a lot about its fragility) so I am basically waiting for the next major redesign.

I really want a bit higher resolution screen (I personally don't necessarily need widescreen) and I would like something with a few more curves in terms of its design. It would also be nice to bring back the expansion bay concept. Sure, most people might not use anything but the one it comes with, but to some people they are very useful and also allow for much easier upgrades. I currently have 88GB of storage in my Pismo (48 for the main HD, 40 in an expansion bay case) and I can swap out the HD for an extra battery or a combo drive that I built. All of this is impossible with the Tibook.

k2man
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 2, 2002, 02:46 PM

There will certainly be faster G4s, and I'm hoping for 1) a slightly higher res screen (just slightly though--1500x1000-something pixels sounds too extreme) and a faster graphics chip for the occassional 3d game.

I seriously doubt Apple would go back to expansion bays. The Ti has been a big hit for them, and you generally don't hear the market saying that bays are sorely missed (I personally look forward to the day when I don't have to worry if I'll need my CD with me or not).

As for the case redesign, I bet there will be slight changes, and maybe a tiny, tiny bit of thickening, but that's the limit. The Tis size and form factor is a big distinction between other laptops, and it leads to more sales. It may have some drawbacks, but I don't think it's enough for Apple to revise it right now when there's a lot of positive recognition for it.

iMan
Forum Regular
Apr 2, 2002, 02:47 PM

Hello,

I plan on buying the next PowerBook when it comes out. I have a PowerMac dual 450 & a iBook 500 DVD and I plan on replacing then both with the new PowerBook and using it as a desktop replacement.

My Brother will be taking my iBook down to college with him this summer. My other brother is probably going to use my PowerMac to do music stuff or my dad will be taking it to the office.
Nick Fleming
[email protected]

Ti PowerBook - 1000/512/60
iPod 30 GB

Graymalkin
Mac Elite
Apr 2, 2002, 08:37 PM

I'm really hoping for some cool features added to the next Powerbook model. I've got a 333 Lombard and have been planning to upgrade it only when the next low end model is twice the speed of what I have.

My predictions are this:
  • 133MHz bus on both low end and high end models
  • 667 low end and 733 high end
  • same size screen
  • larger hard drives and higher base RAM
  • Gigabit Ethernet and MAYBE v.92 modems
  • video adapter a la the iBook and iMac with the ability to have independant displays
  • larger hard drive with the 5400rpm still only available as a BTO option in the high end model

I'm hoping for a case redesign if at all possible, I don't like the flat top to the TiBook as it is, I'd like it a little curvier like the iBook. My Lombard is really comfortable and looks svelte because of the really subtle curves of the case. I don't think there's going to be drive bays added again, it adds cost and complexity to the chassis and motherboard even though two batteries is very useful. I figure the video adapter because it reduces the number of connection points required on the motherboard and could possibly allow for a VGA or S-Video adapter to use the same port, much like the analog video adapters on the Playstation and Dreamcast.

I also started pondering that maybe Apple will change the motherbaord arrangement a little bit so that you can use larger SODIMMs in both the upper and lower memory slots rather than needing the low profile ones in the lower slot, it would mean they could use less expensive SODIMMs and save a couple bucks on ever Powerbook. Sometime when I was off in daydream land I hoped beyond hope that maybe Apple could find a way to get the Powerbook to around 4 pounds. It is pretty light now, much lighter and thinner than my Lombard which is a chore to carry in a backpack. Something lither however would make me very happy. I lug my Lombard all over the place, if I could have a notebook computer weighing almost as little as a notebook I'd be all set.
2GHz 15" MacBook Pro, 120GB 5400rpm HD, 2GB RAM

msykes
Senior User
Apr 2, 2002, 09:49 PM

Originally posted by Graymalkin:
<STRONG>I'm really hoping for some cool features added to the next Powerbook model. I've got a 333 Lombard and have been planning to upgrade it only when the next low end model is twice the speed of what I have.

My predictions are this:
  • 133MHz bus on both low end and high end models
  • 667 low end and 733 high end
  • same size screen
  • larger hard drives and higher base RAM
  • Gigabit Ethernet and MAYBE v.92 modems
  • video adapter a la the iBook and iMac with the ability to have independant displays
  • larger hard drive with the 5400rpm still only available as a BTO option in the high end model

I'm hoping for a case redesign if at all possible, I don't like the flat top to the TiBook as it is, I'd like it a little curvier like the iBook. My Lombard is really comfortable and looks svelte because of the really subtle curves of the case. I don't think there's going to be drive bays added again, it adds cost and complexity to the chassis and motherboard even though two batteries is very useful. I figure the video adapter because it reduces the number of connection points required on the motherboard and could possibly allow for a VGA or S-Video adapter to use the same port, much like the analog video adapters on the Playstation and Dreamcast.
</STRONG>
I've got the same Lombard as you... and now that I'm having to use Office v.X quite a bit, it's feeling slow! Everything else runs fine though...

I agree with the Bus/ScreenSizes/HD and RAM. However, the Ti's already have gigabit ethernet... and I really hope that the processors are a little faster...

But this video adapter business, the Ti *is* currently able to display to an external monitor, with monitor spanning and withOUT any extra adapter. I think this is one of the definite advantages and selling points of the Ti for many people, and let's all pray that Apple neither removes this feature, nor makes it necessary to carry a silly adapter around.

By the way, as mentioned on http://www.pbcentral.com/ there's a 5 day wait at the Apple Store, and lots of places out of stock on the Ti... here's hoping! I can dream, can't I?

msykes
Senior User
Apr 3, 2002, 05:26 PM

Adding some random fuel to my own fire...

Reading the Stanford Daily today...

12" iBook 600/Combo - 899$ (400 less than typical edu price)
Powerbook G4 Ti 550/Combo - 1799$ (270 less than typical edu price)

While supplies last...

Maybe it's just a random spring sale, but maybe it's the sign of clearing out inventory! (of course if it was the latter, one would expect all models to be on sale)

jwtseng  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 3, 2002, 07:56 PM

msykes:

Wow. Where are these prices being offered? I might be interested in getting another iBook combo for $899! Mail me or respond here. Thanks.

James
[email protected]

skyman
Mac Elite
Apr 3, 2002, 08:18 PM

<STRONG>Adding some random fuel to my own fire...

Reading the Stanford Daily today...

12" iBook 600/Combo - 899$ (400 less than typical edu price)
Powerbook G4 Ti 550/Combo - 1799$ (270 less than typical edu price)

While supplies last...

Maybe it's just a random spring sale, but maybe it's the sign of clearing out inventory! (of course if it was the latter, one would expect all models to be on sale)</STRONG>
Apple needs to keep each quarter profitable. I think we will see a new PowerBook this quarter (sometime before June) to help boost second quarter sales.

Then we will see new desktop Macs at MWNY to boost third quarter sales.

[ 04-03-2002: Message edited by: skyman ]
MacBookPro 1.83GHz - 1.5 GB RAM - OS 10.4.6

msykes
Senior User
Apr 3, 2002, 08:41 PM

Originally posted by jwtseng:
<STRONG>msykes:

Wow. Where are these prices being offered? I might be interested in getting another iBook combo for $899! Mail me or respond here. Thanks.

James
[email protected]</STRONG>
Well the deal is being offered at the Stanford Bookstore (Bay Area, California). Technically speaking you need to be a Stanford Student/Faculty to get the deal, but my roomate who had graduated a year earlier recently bought a 550, and they never checked to see if he was still affiliated so anyone might be able to walk in off the street.

I suspect other schools might offer similar deals (I know UCLA often offers good deals), but I'm not sure.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Apr 4, 2002, 05:27 AM

I have recently upgraded my desktop to a DP 800 Powermac, but still need to sort out a Powerbook for my out of office work (graphics & publishing)...

last year I finally sold my Wallstreet (that had never missed beat) and purchased a Ti 550...it proved to be nothing but trouble (faulty DVD drive, bubbled paint on casing ((!)), overheating, 6 dead pixels and faulty processor....). I had sent it in for repair when it was 2 weeks old...it came back with no faults fixed and a nice dent in the top....In the end Apple conceeded that it was a lemon and the reseller gave me my money back...

I then bought a iBook 500, but found that the screen was just too small, and the G3 not up to the task...so it had to go!

Needless to say, I won't be buying one of the current revision of Tis or iBooks, even though in the UK you can get the 550 Ti for �1399 + VAT (about �450 off the original price). For me, the next revision can not come soon enough!

However conversely, I would be really loath to spend �2000+ on a laptop without DDR, a better screen res, a 1Ghz + processor and a decent graphics card...I will never go to the dark side (I currently own 4 macs and a NeXT) but these features should really be the minimum spec on the next powerbook rev....

Just a final thought...how about a desktop AND laptop combined G5 announcement in the not too distant future (WWDC anyone!)??! ....well I suppose I can dream

Marc

jwtseng  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 26, 2002, 01:13 AM

Well, well, well....not even a month later from the start of this thread and we have "hard evidence" that Apple is going to be releasing speed-bumped TiBooks on April 30. Like many others in this forum, I am afraid that I will be disappointed with what Apple has to offer this time around. But after taking a step back, I still stand by my original decision to purchase WHATEVER the next pro powerbook rev might be. In fact, fate has suddenly demanded that I place an order for any available (for order) powerbook within the next 10 days!!! This means I have until May 5th or so to make a final decision, so it's either the Ti667 or whatever Apple announces! It will really suck if April 30th comes and goes without a peep. If this happens, then I guess the only logical explanation would be WWDC which starts on May 6th. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

68k33
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 26, 2002, 07:26 AM

If Apple really comes out with the so far proposed and rumored specs, then the Powerbook is, I'm sorry, a clear no-buyer.

My minimum requirements for pro use are:

- 933 MHz G4
- 133 MHz DDR Bus
- at least screen resolution optional at appr. 1500 x 1200
- 512 MB DDR RAM standard
- flexible Airport Antenna for improved connectivity

Don't think different, be different. But if beeing different means, selling outdated technology for highend prices, then I really don't want to be different.

Luckily I can wait.

workerbee
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2002, 08:27 AM

Originally posted by 68k33:
<STRONG>(snip) But if beeing different means, selling outdated technology for highend prices(snip)</STRONG>
Yeah well, don't forget the nice packaging you get!
Apple nowadays seems to be at least as much about appearances as about performance.
A lickable GUI wasting the precious few CPU cycles of what Uncle Steve gushed about when presenting it ("See how beautiful it is?"), while the inside has barely moved, feature- and performance-wise, since its intro and arguably since even before that (I don't find a 500MHz TiBook to be notably faster to my 500MHz Pismo, exept for when Altivec kicks in).

here's hoping we'll be at least a little bit positively surprised before WWDC.
MBP 15" 2.33GHz C2D 3GB 2*23" ACD

Adam E
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 26, 2002, 01:19 PM

Count me in with those who'll probably buy regardless but will be extremely disappointed if there isn't a bump in the screen res.

I decided in January I wouldn't get the 550 because I wanted more screen res and I figured Apple would be intelligent enough to fix this problem. Clock speed isn't as important--hopefully the jump from 10.1 to 10.2 will have a bigger effect on responsiveness than a difference of 116 Mhz. A nice new graphics chip (nVidia) would be good too, though.

Another thing--a 20 Gb hard drive on the lower end model seems low. Just about any &gt;$1600 Wintel laptop these days comes with a 30 or 40 Gb drive. There's no need for Apple to hold it at 20 gigs.
I'm Course VI

jwtseng  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 26, 2002, 05:06 PM

I think higher screen resolution is unlikely with steady price points and the current environment of increased component (namely LCD) costs.

I think of my upcoming purchase as buying the fourth (and maybe last?) revision of a fantastic product design. No major changes are to be expected, but instead minor tweaks and small technologic improvements. Hopefully by now most of the shortcomings of the design have been overcome...namely build quality (including paint job) and airport reception. Being the last of the product form factor will mean that this new Titanium PowerBook will be the most mature and stable.

Any machine that I buy now, I will likely be using for the next 2 to 3 years. Buying the the next (and last) Titanium revision hopefully means owning the most stable machine for the duration. I still consider it buying on the cusp of technology. If there is a revision to the Titanium in the next week before WWDC, then I really find it hard to believe that Apple would scrap the whole design for the next greatest thing in a mere 2 months at MWNY. I mean, the way Apple production has been, the new TiBooks likely wouldn't even hit the channel in numbers until then. The Combo drive TiBooks were announced in December and I remember it wasn't until almost February that they started showing up everywhere.

So let's see, in the past 4 months, I have upgraded my desktop machine from a beige G3/233 to a new iMac 800 SuperDrive. I've replaced my trusty PB 2400c with a iBook 600 Combo (made sure to designate this move for my wife!). And now all that remains is to buy a little toy for myself... So Apple, the ball's in your court...let's see what you've got!

msykes
Senior User
Apr 26, 2002, 05:06 PM

Well I used to be in the "I'll buy even if it's Blue Dalmation" camp, but the latest rumors have given me second thougths. If it's 800 MHz and new video and higher resolution maybe... but if it's 800 MHz and bigger hard drives only, I don't think so.

I have a feeling if it's 800/667, and they keep the current 667/550 around at lower prices, then there won't be different video/screen res. That would make for too much confusion between models in the line.

maffioso
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 29, 2002, 01:54 AM

Any last thoughts as we come up to the 30th any final rumors and speculation...

My thoughts are:

800Mhz G4
Radeon 7500 32MB
Higher screen res

Any one else have any other thoughts?

Chris
CHRIS SMITH

k2man
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 29, 2002, 02:43 PM

Good call, Maffioso. You nailed it.

Just for the record: I said I'd buy one, and that I did. ETA 7 days and counting...

jwtseng  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 29, 2002, 10:16 PM

Well, well, well...the rumor sites were pretty much right on with what they reported. I think we were all surprised by the L3 cache inclusion, though. Needless to say, this is better than I expected for this probably final revision of the Titanium powerbook.

The next post I make on these forums will be from my new PowerBook G4/800!!! Hopefully in a couple of hours!

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 29, 2002, 10:32 PM

I'm waiting for the superdrive'd TiPBG4

PookJP
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 29, 2002, 11:05 PM

Originally posted by Hawkeye_a:
<STRONG>I'm waiting for the superdrive'd TiPBG4</STRONG>
You're gonna be waiting a LONG time, friend.

&lt;&lt; just bought the new Ti/800/60/512 &gt;&gt;
It's the devil's way now.

skyman
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2002, 11:28 PM

Sad to say but it is time to retire my PISMO for a new Ti 800MHz.

VIVA LA PISMO!!
MacBookPro 1.83GHz - 1.5 GB RAM - OS 10.4.6

Forum Links
Forum Rules