Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > New betas for iOS 9.2, OS X 10.11.2, tvOS 9.1; Xcode updated to 7.1.1

New betas for iOS 9.2, OS X 10.11.2, tvOS 9.1; Xcode updated to 7.1.1
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Nov 10, 2015, 03:40 PM

Following last week's beta updates, Apple has seeded new betas today for developers for iOS 9.2, OS X 10.11.2. The iOS and OS X betas are the third in a weekly series, and will almost certainly be matched with public tester versions within the next day. In addition, a second beta of tvOS 9.1 has been released, bringing Siri control to Apple Music. Apple on Monday also updated its multi-OS development tool Xcode to version 7.1.1, fixing some "critical" bugs found in the user interface testing, debugging, and Interface Builder components.

While the betas generally do not offer or unveil any new features, there is a small tweak to Apple's Music application in the latest 9.2 beta: a new icon to indicate more clearly if a file is stored locally or only available through streaming. The build number for the latest beta is 13C5071. Earlier versions of iOS 9.2 revealed compatibility with AT&T's upcoming NumberSync technology (a sort of AT&T version of Continuity), and an improved in-app Safari browser for developers to incorporate into their own apps.

The OS X El Capitan 10.11.2 beta comes with no release notes, but is expected to further fix bugs and improve performance in certain areas. Developers have been asked to focus on Wi-Fi, USB, Mail, Calendar, Notes, Photos, USB, graphics, networking, and Spotlight. The first tvOS update, issued yesterday, brought voice control of Apple Music, along with searches, iTunes Match, and most apps.

Following yesterday's release of the first update to tvOS (v9.0.1) that brought voice control to navigation and launching of apps, searches, and iTunes Match, Apple today issued a second beta of tvOS 9.1. That update will, along with the usual fixes and enhancements, add Siri control of Apple Music.

The Xcode update to version 7.1.1 is the first since Xcode 7.1 appeared alongside the newest Apple TV last month, with that update bringing support for watchOS 2, OS X 10.11 El Capitan, iOS 9.1, the latest betas, and adding in support for Swift 2.1. Version 7.1 also introduced support for 3D Touch on the iPhone 6s line, allowing developers to incorporate the technology into their own apps.

The update is a free download from the Mac App Store, and also includes the usual unspecified minor bug fixes, and performance and stability enhancements. The 7.1.1 file weighs in at 4.3GB.

coitus
Forum Regular
Nov 10, 2015, 04:08 PM

I am not blown away with the new Apple TV. Part of me thinks, they just had it setting there for such a long period of time trying to finalize contracts with the various networks for proper TV service and just opted to release it before the holiday buying season to get a foot-hold to build upon.

My observations thus far...

- you can't easily tell which way is up on the remote without looking at it.

- when playing tv there is perpetually a "swipe down for more info box" at the top that I must swipe down and back up to make disappear. Surely there is better implementation of this feature.

- the lack of Siri support for music seems terribly short-sighted. I'm anxious to see if it will, in fact, let me tell it to play an artist or album out of my connected home network.

- zero implementation of support for Apple's own Remote.app is inexcusable, especially when Siri support is fractured and limited at this stage.

Here is hoping the software side matures...and quickly.

- coitus

a1a23696
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 10, 2015, 05:34 PM

+1 on the "Which way is up?" remote dealio.... I am continually finding it upside down in my hand when I pick it up.

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2015, 07:17 AM

As the article notes, Siri support for Apple Music is coming soon, Siri support for apps, searches and iTunes Match was included in the first update which has already been issued. I do share your feeling that Apple pushed it out for holiday buying and will work to grow the software before the end of the year.
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

Forum Links
Forum Rules