Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > No VGA! This sux!

No VGA! This sux!
Anand
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 29, 2002, 11:10 AM

There is no true VGA out on the new PB! This sux. To give presentations you now how to carry along a stupid adaptor! Apple keeps screwing themselves with moves like this! Otherwise it is a great machine and one that I was about to order for the head of our center. Now I don't know what to get him.
Yes, I know I could buy a PC, but why?

C.J. Moof
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2002, 11:22 AM

If the powerbook -> adapter -> projector relationship is going to be too overwhelming for his little brain to handle, maybe a 64 pack of Crayolas and some construction paper would be more his speed. Be sure to get the saftey scissors.

It's really not that complicated. Or big to carry. It's smaller than the power adapter, fercryinoutloud....
OS X: Where software installation doesn't require wizards with shields.

macaddled
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 29, 2002, 11:26 AM

Look, you don't even need an adaptor ... there are DVI -> VGA cables out there, for like $15. Jesus.

NeoMac
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2002, 11:37 AM

The DVI->VGA adapter is included with the PowerBook. You don't have to buy anything.

You only have to buy a DVI-ADC adapter for the Apple Displays.
"Last time the French asked for more evidence, it rolled through France with a German flag." - David Letterman

Justin W. Williams
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2002, 11:55 AM

Originally posted by Anand:
<STRONG>There is no true VGA out on the new PB! This sux. To give presentations you now how to carry along a stupid adaptor! Apple keeps screwing themselves with moves like this! Otherwise it is a great machine and one that I was about to order for the head of our center. Now I don't know what to get him.</STRONG>
Its people like you that make me question our species. A stupid adapter would make you not purchase this thing?

Save yourself the cash and get a refurbed 667 or something if it bothers you THAT much.
Justin Williams
Chicks Really Dig Me
AIM - iTikki [NEW AND IMPROVED!]
http://www.tikkirulz.com

keston
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 29, 2002, 12:06 PM

You mean just like they screwed themselves when they remove the older SCSI port in favour of the leading edge Firewire ports?

Some people just abhor change, for worse or better... they object regardless .

[ 04-29-2002: Message edited by: keston ]

Anand  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 29, 2002, 01:39 PM

Yes, there are people, MD - PhDs that have trouble with a little adaptor. And yes, it makes my job more of a pain. Do I love the new powerbook - Hell yes. If I did not just buy a new iMac and needed a superdrive - I would pick this up in a heart beat.

The new powerbook is almost perfect. 800 Mhz and a 1 MB cache - 32 MB video, higher resolution - audio in for chr--st sake! Amazing. But DVI? Why? Why benefit does it have for the typical user? I still don't get it.
Yes, I know I could buy a PC, but why?

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 29, 2002, 02:01 PM

Just like before where a certain lineup of Macs dumped legacy ports, we are starting to see it again. VGA is a legacy analog port, worthless for anything decent. DVI-I on the other hand does VGA, DVI-A, and DVI-D. Stop complaining to Apple, and instead insist that the monitor companies move to the proper computer display standard.

And I have seen projectors with DVI.
<This space under renovation>

2far
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 29, 2002, 02:12 PM

<STRONG>There is no true VGA out on the new PB! This sux.</STRONG>
You're letting yourself be sucked too easily. This is a great machine, even without the IR port. In fact, it's the only near-silent G4 now that connects to my Cinema Display (long live the Cube). Add a SuperDrive and I'm in!

Leonard
Professional Poster
Apr 29, 2002, 03:27 PM

<STRONG>But DVI? Why? Why benefit does it have for the typical user? I still don't get it.</STRONG>
Those that have an Apple monitor with ADC will be able to more easily connect it to the Powerbook. One of the biggest complaints to Apple was that you had to buy 2 adapters (VGA-to-DVI and a DVI-to-ADC) to hook up an Apple display to the Powerbook. It's a little hilarious that it was so much trouble to connect an APPLE display to an APPLE Powerbook.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

supernature
Forum Regular
Apr 29, 2002, 03:44 PM

As NeoMac has stated... the PowerBook comes with a DVI --&gt; VGA cable. You jumped on the whining wagon a bit too early.

skyman
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2002, 05:07 PM

Originally posted by Drakino:
<STRONG>Just like before where a certain lineup of Macs dumped legacy ports, we are starting to see it again. VGA is a legacy analog port, worthless for anything decent. DVI-I on the other hand does VGA, DVI-A, and DVI-D. Stop complaining to Apple, and instead insist that the monitor companies move to the proper computer display standard.

And I have seen projectors with DVI.</STRONG>
EXACTLY!!!
MacBookPro 1.83GHz - 1.5 GB RAM - OS 10.4.6

Dan Szwarc
Senior User
Apr 29, 2002, 08:20 PM

&lt;sarcasm&gt;You want an even bigger complaint, I've heard that if you want to give a presentation from your powerbook, you have to actually BRING IT WITH YOU! No more presentations out of thin air!&lt;/sarcasm&gt;

It's bad enough that not everyone is happy (just look for NO DVI OUT on PB threads), but to complain about carrying an adapter! Sheese..
Dan
"I guarantee that I am correct."
(not a guarantee)

Nephron
Forum Regular
Apr 29, 2002, 09:54 PM

Hi gang,

As one of the cursed people who actually make part of their living giving presentations using a TiPowerBook, I have to disagree and say I am disappointed that the new TiBook requires a dongle for hookup to a projector. Hooking up to one of the gorgeous Apple Monitors sounds good, but I would rather hang an adapter off of the desktop monitor than be sure that I always have my VGA connector with me.

When my TiBook was in for repairs, I used my wife's iBook for two months. I gave presentations using her computer without difficulties, but double checking that I had the VGA out connector was a pain.

Remembering that extra bit of equipment never interfered with my ability to deliver my presentation in the manner that I had wanted. It was simply an annoyance, and I was happy to get my TiBook back (not for that reason alone).

Most of these discussions come down to what each individual uses their computer for. In my case, the new machines are superior in every respect, except for their ability to hook up to an LCD projector.

Cheers

maffioso
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 29, 2002, 09:58 PM

The Powerbook uses DVI-I it means that it carries the digital and analogue signal, which means you only need a basic converter that costs around $14...

Im interested to see how an Apple flat screen goes... 15" i want to get one with the adapter...
CHRIS SMITH

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 29, 2002, 10:45 PM

Originally posted by Nephron:
<STRONG>Hi gang,

As one of the cursed people who actually make part of their living giving presentations using a TiPowerBook, I have to disagree and say I am disappointed that the new TiBook requires a dongle for hookup to a projector. Hooking up to one of the gorgeous Apple Monitors sounds good, but I would rather hang an adapter off of the desktop monitor than be sure that I always have my VGA connector with me.

</STRONG>
As mentioned above, VGA is yesterday's news. It's analog. Better to convert from digital to analog for what you need to do than have to convert from (internal) digital to analog to digital if one wants to hook up a cinema or studio flat panel. There's a loss of image quality.

I personally am thrilled the new powerbooks have DVI. This alone has me considering one to replace my G4 tower.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 30, 2002, 04:10 AM

If memory serves, it costs several hundred dollars to get the necessary adapters to use Apple LCD displays with the old powerbooks, making it essentially not an option. I think having to carry a DVI-VGA cable is a minor thing compared with the alternative.

maffioso
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 30, 2002, 04:21 AM

Can any one recommend a nice 15" lcd to acompany a new PB? I would spend around $500-$600 (+149 for adapter), any ideas?
CHRIS SMITH

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 30, 2002, 05:05 AM

Solarism makes the absolute best LCD monitors for gaming. The backlight on those screens is so intense that one must turn down the brightness to view the screen comfortably.

www.solarism.com

This is now turning into a Peripherals topic.

benh57
Senior User
Apr 30, 2002, 08:31 AM

What noone has mentioned is that the new tibook also has an S-VIDEO port! This is for the express purpose of giving presentations.
Dual 800 - GF3 - 1.5GB

maffioso
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 30, 2002, 08:39 AM

Thanks seanyepez.

What is the quality of S-Video compared to DVI and VGA?
Is S-Video on the way out?
CHRIS SMITH

macaddled
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 30, 2002, 08:56 AM

Originally posted by benh57:
<STRONG>What noone has mentioned is that the new tibook also has an S-VIDEO port! This is for the express purpose of giving presentations.</STRONG>
Not quite the same thing as being able to hook up to another monitor. Also, the old ones had s-video too.

SunSeeker
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 30, 2002, 09:55 AM

The s-video port is fine for watching a dvd, it simply doesn't have the resolution to be suitable for a computer presentation which is usually at 1024x768.

The only problem I can see with the adapter is leaving it behind after your presentation.

scottiB
Professional Poster
Apr 30, 2002, 10:16 AM

Apple can't win for losing , it seems.

As someone who occasionally preps my company's traveling sales roadshow, I can see where the adapter can be a hassle (some of my bosses are both forgetful and not very tech-savvy), but I'd just keep it attached to the projector's VGA cable--always, and keep it in the projector's case.

As well, I'd keep a couple replacements on hand, just in case.
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

mgl
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 30, 2002, 12:23 PM

I give presentations with my iBook. I keep the VGA adaptor in the zipper compartment of my briefcase all the time. Therefore, I've never been without it and can't forget it because I'd sooner cancel a trip than not take my briefcase.

If your boss is bad at remembering things, just tell him to keep this in his briefcase. He does take his briefcase when he travels to a presentation, doesn't he?

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Apr 30, 2002, 06:39 PM

It's also highly unlikely that Apple's DVI-VGA adapter is functionally different than anyone else's -- remember that a functionally identical adapter is provided with every retail Radeon 7500 and 8500 card. It's a pretty standard part nowadays.

tooki

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 30, 2002, 06:53 PM

In my case, the new machines are superior in every respect, except for their ability to hook up to an LCD projector.
Again, complain to the LCD manufacturer. DVI is the evolutinary step for computer display technology, but few companies are moving to it. I applaud the CRT manufacturers that put DVI-A ports on their monitors. And as far as LCDs go, they should all be DVI-I.

80% of the LCD projectors we have running around my company have DVI-I now. Maybe it's time to look at replacing the projector with a newer one. Most offer some amazing quality differences between ones released just a year or two ago.

zigmeister
Forum Regular
May 1, 2002, 03:53 PM

I came in this thread surprised that the new Tibook doesn't have a VGA adapter and now I'm even more surprised at the responses here.

In the real world there are no projectors with DVI. A good projector cost about 6 grand - why would somebody want to upgrade just because of the connecion if every stupid pc has a bloddy VGA adapter. I usually have to make presentations in several rooms during a conference, and it is bad enough that vga cables don't "quite" fit into my Tibook 550 (they all fit on PCs), several times I have to ask a poor slob to stay holding the cable at the back (I won't mention the nightmare of video mirroring in OS 9).

You game freaks and designers probably love DVI, I certainly will in about 5 years, but right now: NO VGA ON A 3 GRAND TIBOOK SUX
Master of Zigs

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
May 1, 2002, 05:49 PM

I came in this thread surprised that the new Tibook doesn't have a VGA adapter
Umm, it does. It plugs into the DVI port and gives you a normal VGA port. Thats why so many of us can't understand the big deal.Sure it's an extra adaptor for people still needing VGA, but I believe Apple did the right thing in allowing the PowerBook to connect properly to an LCD monitor. ADC after all is just DVI, USB and power.

Edit for clairification: The DVI-VGA adaptor comes with the PowerBook.

[ 05-01-2002: Message edited by: Drakino ]

Forum Links
Forum Rules